Brightest Handgun Mounted Light

Phireglass

Newly Enlightened
Got a new Springfield XD40 and i need a light on it, id like the best one out there (well the best under 300$) ive looked at the streamlights and im pretty unimpressed, is there an SF model that i can mod out or upgrade? I have a couple throwers and a couple EDCs but im new to handgun lights, what do yall reccomend?

victory

Enlightened
Surefire announced a 500 Lumen x300 Ultra at shot show a few months back. Not sure when it will be available.

That being said, the current x300 is plenty bright for tactical usage at 170 lumens. 500 lumens is stupid bright for a handgun mounted light and will do nothing but blind you indoors while offering no distinct advantage over the current offering.

Frankly, I can't wait for the Ultra to come out so I can buy some current x300's from the clueless masses on the cheap.

victory

Enlightened
MSRP is $275. It's not difficult to find them new for less than $200

Buy once, cry once. Buy crap, cry a million times.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a new Springfield XD40 and i need a light on it, id like the best one out there (well the best under 300$) ive looked at the streamlights and im pretty unimpressed, is there an SF model that i can mod out or upgrade? I have a couple throwers and a couple EDCs but im new to handgun lights, what do yall reccomend?

try Jetbeam BC25

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
You can get a Mako light holder that will mount to the rail on your gun's frame, assuming you have a picatinny rail or some type of way to snap on a light to the frame. Only $20 and you can mount any light you want to the gun.

242582.jpg

There are other companies out there that make similar ones, but I couldn't find a pic of the one I was thinking of (it sticks out further, but allows for a broader range or lights to be used).

I personally use a TLR-1s since the 160 lumens is bright enough for me and very close to what I need to a X300 but at 1/3 the price. Plus all of my kydex holsters are made for the TLR light.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
They break.

Since you decided to quote me twice on different threads with the same thing, show me where they break. I'm on a number of firearms forums and weapons-mounted lights is always a topic that is discussed. I've yet to see a single issue where somebody has said their TLR-1s has broken for whatever reason. I've actually seen a few guys say their X300 broke under use (2 long guns, 1 handgun) but I don't consider them being an issue if 2 broke out of thousands out there (including mine) that has put countless rounds through out guns and they still work.

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
In my opinion, the Streamlight, Insight, or Surefire lights work well, though the Streamlight TLR series and Insights need a little more attention than the Surefire to make sure they are securely attached.

My current choice, when budget allows, is the X300. I have two right now and one of them has digested somewhere above 5K rounds. The X300 Ultra is a definite improvement and has proven durable and practical in my unit's experience. It will be the light to beat when it becomes available.

victory

Enlightened
I teach defensive firearms courses where we put more rounds through the gun in a day than most people do in a year. All of our classes have low light. I've seen a number of TLR1's break (mainly issues with the electronics, lights shutting off, randomly switching in and out of strobe mode) and have even broken one myself.

Just because some dudes on internet forums haven't broken them taking them to the range and firing a hundred rounds doesn't mean they don't break, it just means they are purchased by people who don't really use them.

I don't recommend any light designed to mount on a handgun on a rifle. The toggle switches rely on the fact that they are protected by the trigger guard. On a rifle, they snag on stuff and break. Surefire does make an alternate switch for that purpose, but most people never buy it.