Possible Titanium M-8800 Charger Problem

jimbo231

Enlightened
I just bought the m-8800 after reading good things about it. I threw in 4 duracell, 2650maH, non-duraloop, made in japan cells and after the were fully charged put them in my digital camera. I tried the camera the next day and it said change batteries. They all read around 1.375V. I was wondering if the charger ruined the cells and how can I tell if batteries are bad if they read a decent voltage?

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Nothing wrong with a 1.375v charge. I believe a fully broken in cell could go up to about 1.45v right off the charger.

jimbo231

Enlightened
I know the voltages are fine especially after waiting a day but the cells are toast. They won;t work in any camera I own so I know its not the camera. I was just wondering if the charger could have done this to the cells?

ama230

Enlightened
There is no problem as its just the voltages of some electronics prefer or only run on alkys and lithys. So this means that its voltages are looking for 1.9v-1.4v. 1.37 indicates a low battery. this stinks as you cannot rely on typical nimh or nicd as the voltages are just too low. They charge at 1.4v since the current is being thrown into them but nominal voltage is going to be around 1.34v for an average.

This means that one type of rechargeable can work and this is a 1.7v Powergenix NiZn battery. They get good reviews but this is going to be your oly bet in rechargeables.

jimbo231

Enlightened
The cameras ran fine on the nimh for years. I guess my question is, can the batteries be bad (as in not work) if they are showing a ok voltage?

901-Memphis

Enlightened
If the voltages are in spec they should be working. Try to pop them in a remote or light and see if they work. (If you have another devices)

jimbo231

Enlightened
Another question I had was I used to use a timed charger and the batteries voltages would always be very close before and after a charge. With this charger one came off at 1.473v, another 1.45v and 1.439V. Is this normal or does it mean that the 2 lower ones termanated charge too early?

901-Memphis

Enlightened
After looking up that charger it seems pretty good. I would have to ask if the cells are well matched. Do some have many more cycles than others?

Last edited: