Recommend me an EDC and a very bright AA light.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I've currently got an XTAR A01 running T6. Looking for something brighter than it and running on AA's. So many brands out there with Lumen ratings that I can't trust so looking at something you guys would recommend. Don't mind purchasing online. Was looking at the TK35/41 but is a bit expensive (unless there's a site I don't know about selling for ~$80). Will use mainly for Fishing so I do need it to be quite bright. Also looking for a small AA EDC.

Last edited:

Draven451

Enlightened
Hey guys, I've currently got an XTAR A01 running T6. Looking for something brighter than it and running on AA's. So many brands out there with Lumen ratings that I can't trust so looking at something you guys would recommend. Don't mind purchasing online. Was looking at the TK35/41 but is a bit expensive (unless there's a site I don't know about selling for ~$80). Will use mainly for Fishing so I do need it to be quite bright. Also looking for a small AA EDC.

Here is another thread that has some good suggestions:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?335269-Good-Single-AA-Multimode-Flashlight

I also mentioned two lights in the thread. I received the Spark light shortly after posting that thread and it is now one of my favorite AA/14500 sized lights.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Balder vs Spark. Which one would you chose then, now that you've received the spark. And how much are each? I've got the WK25 which set me back about 12 bux or so, and is pretty well built.

robeden

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Xeno E03 xm-l. Works on single AA and puts out 120 lumens. Invest in a li-ion 14500 rechargeable and the output jumps to 420 lumens! Its got some good reviews on here and for $30 you can go wrong.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the JetBeam PA10: it has "only" 140 lumen max output with a AA battery but with a 14500 battery it goes up to 650 lumens.
The downside of this light is that with the 14500 you only get the maximum output - i.e. 650 lumens - and lose the lower modes.

Draven451

Enlightened
Balder vs Spark. Which one would you chose then, now that you've received the spark. And how much are each? I've got the WK25 which set me back about 12 bux or so, and is pretty well built.

It's hard to choose between the two as they both have positives and negatives. If you are looking for sheer output/brightness the Balder SE-1 XM-L would be the hands down winner. Small size and easily fits in the pocket, HaIII finish, and Water proof to IPX-8 standard (no worries if you splash or submerge the light during fishing trips). Great pricing for the features right around $22.

The Spark is considerably more expensive at around $79 brand new.

ChaosMaster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice guys. I would prefer to stick to AA as I've got a heap load of Eneloops to use. I don't mind 14500 though... but perhaps later in the future. Just wondering, where would you guys recommend and what codes to use? I live in Australia, so shipping on the few site's I've looked seems to be quite steep.