EDIT: See post #24 for Nichia set up.
Thanks to a thread started a couple of months back by CPF member mandat I got this idea in my head and it just wouldn't go away so.........I just have to do this mod! I decided to do this mod on my V10 Ti because I just don't have a McGizmo budget just yet and would love a nice HCRI flood light. This is a work in progress and I will update as it comes together.
I still haven't fully decided yet whether to use the XP-G HCRI I already have or get the Nichia HCRI that shares the same footprint as the XP-G. What do you guys think?
First off, sorry for not getting pictures from step one, I kinda got into it and forgot.
Here is the "bucket" I constructed out of a scrap of copper pipe cap. It wasn't even close to the right size and I didn't use anything more than a dremel and a hack saw to do all the trimming. I cut the band of copper off the cap and wrapped it around the head of a socket from my tool set that had the diameter I needed and clamped it in my cheap little vice then soldered it back together. I then trimmed down the flat of the pipe cap to the rough size of the base (18mm) and soldered that to the newly made ring to complete the "bucket" and then filed and sanded until it was the way you see it in the pic. In the pic is also a small cube of aluminum the rough size I need for the pedestal.
Next I rounded the little cube off and mocked it up in the light to get a final height I needed to trim it down too. It then went into the vice and I used the hack saw to notch it for the wires to run up to the emitter.
Test fitting the pedestal, looks like it will work nicely.
The emitter bucket sits nice and flush with the lip of the head.
Here it is with the bezel screwed down, no wiggle room.
Here is a mock up with the factory emitter board (too small) and fingerprints all over the lens. When my 14mm board gets here it will fill in most of the bucket and should look nice when complete.
As I type this the bucket and pedestal are being joined together with Arctic Alumina 2 part Epoxy. I still need to drill the holes for the emitter wire to run down to the driver and sand,sand,sand and polish everything that is going to be visible or find some way to dress it up for the finished product.
That's all I've got for now,