XPG, XTE, OR XML?

Larysius

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm new to posting to the forums so I apologize if this is not the right area for this. I did read through the rules and this seemed like the right place to pose the question.

I am insterested in purchasing one of the new Eagletac D25A Clickies when they come out, and am familiar with the XPG and somewhat familiar with the XML (brighter but more floody) than the XPG. But from my research, this XTE is new and only recently came out. Does anyone have any information about this? Is it better than the XPG-R5, XPG-S2, XML? Any information regarding specs of these would be great. I am happy with the XPG R5, heard about the S2 and tint issues, but from what I've read Eagletac does a good job of eliminating that. Any input? Thanks!

Larry

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will be the first production light with this emitter, I've read a thread on the XTE and as far as I can remember. This will be a very efficiant led with similar beam profile to either the xpe or xre do to a narrower beam angle and the size of the emitter. What this means for you is that it'll throw a little further than the XPG, it's VF is similar so it'll be about the same brightness as the XPG. I am tempter to get the XPG and XTE D25c and look at the difference with my own eyes ( might be only a suddle difference in the two beams)
Not sure if you'll notice in real world experience but it may throw 10-30 feet further even with that small a diameter head ;)

Larysius

Newly Enlightened
This will be a very efficiant led with similar beam profile to either the xpe or xre do to a narrower beam angle and the size of the emitter. What this means for you is that it'll throw a little further than the XPG, it's VF is similar so it'll be about the same brightness as the XPG. it may throw 10-30 feet further even with that small a diameter head ;)

Nice. Thank you for the info. Any guess as to what this would do for runtime, or would it be about the same? I would be tempted to try them both too. I've seen on a lot of websites where people can get evaluation lights to try out before buying. Is that a standard practice or just a courtesy that some vendors do for prospective buyers?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
And as usual, any new LEDs from Cree has a very high tendency of being greenish. Probably have to wait months after for them to iron out their production.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
My Eagletac D25LC2 Mini. 18650 uses the XP-G S2 and I couldn't be happier. The S2 beam is pure white, intense, perfectly centered, free of artifacts and any discoloration of any kind, throws surprisingly well for such a managable package and has excellent run-times.

I guess the only question is whether a 'Twisty' is an acceptable option - I wasn't a fan, until I got my hands on this one! It is so well made, impossible to fault in any area; even the clip is spot-on. It was 'love at first light'! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
so basically the XTE has the potential to best the XRE R2 E900 in terms of throw when used with an ashperic?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
so basically the XTE has the potential to best the XRE R2 E900 in terms of throw when used with an ashperic?

It'd beat it in run times, but be similar in throw. I'm not sure if the emitters degree angle
Is better or the same but the die size is

Larysius

Newly Enlightened
The description beside the XT-E makes it sounds like it will throw farther than the XP-G, but the images contradict that to my eyes.

I was going to say that as well offthetrail. The hotspot seems larger and dispersed and actually appears less white than the other two. If it beat the other 2 in runtimes tho, I'd go with it for that fact alone. Throw and lumens are of secondary importance to me, close seconds at that, but none-the-less, runtime is more important to me in the event of an emergency.

It's one reason I love my Quark AA2 so much - moonlight mode. I have a Quark AA Mini, but it's really a two-hand operation for me. The light always flickers and jumps modes when I try to do it one-handed so I'm looking at the clickies from Eagletac because I like the form factor, size, n clicky switch. I looked at the Quark regular AA, but it's a little large for my taste for an EDC, but the Mini AA is just right. I stuck my LD01's clip on it so I could pocket it and it's virtually perfect for me. A clickie and clip that goes to the edge of the light would complete it.
imagejpeg24v.jpg

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I'm shooting for XT-E just because it's different.
When you have 26 of one led and 11 of the other, you need a change LoL.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry I am afraid that the XR-E R2 EZ900 will throw better than the XT-E when used with aspheric. Our only chance is if Michael offers us a DBS aspheric upgrade.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Quark AA Mini, but it's really a two-hand operation for me. The light always flickers and jumps modes when I try to do it one-handed
imagejpeg24v.jpg

I like the clip idea. If you have mode switching issues with the Mini then just take the spring out of the bottom of the battery tube and stretch it out a bit so it's noticably longer, then reassemble. That should fix it.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased an Aleph Mule from Datiled which has a xt-e in it with the most lovely tint you could ask for, a slightly warm tint maybe around 4500-4700k. I don't no if this is the norm for these or not but this one is very nice.....Robert.

DMC

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed that KD is now offering three new XT-E R5 stars (21mm, 20mm, 14.2mm).

Here is the specs:

• Available in white, 80-CRI min white, 70-min CRI white and royal blue
  • Binned at 85 °C
  • Cool white efficacy of up to 148 lm/W (@ 85 °C, 350 mA)
  • Royal Blue wall plug efficiency of up to 53% (@ 85 °C, 350 mA)
  • Wide viewing angle: 115-140°
  • Thermal resistance: 5 °C/W
  • Maximum drive current: 1.5 A
  • Electrically neutral thermal path
  • Vf binning supported for XT-E White and Royal Blue
  • XT-E Royal Blue sorted into 2.5- nm wavelength bins
  • Unlimited floor life at ≤ 30 ºC/85% RH
  • Reflow solderable - JEDEC J-STD-020C Compatible
  • RoHS- and REACH-compliant

Don't know what the royal blue is all about. Anyone have an idea?

Larysius

Newly Enlightened
I think they may have accidently mixed up the photos between XT-E and XP-G S2

I think you're right blue, because I got a reply from Eagletac confirming that the XTE would have better throw, and in the pic, the supposed XPG S2 does have a better hot spot than the one labeled XTE. Good call.

I like the clip idea. If you have mode switching issues with the Mini then just take the spring out of the bottom of the battery tube and stretch it out a bit so it's noticably longer, then reassemble. That should fix it.

I like it too Red, very functional. Didn't think the clip from the AAA light would fit, but it does, albeit very snuggly, and the knurling keeps it nicely secure. Thanks for the spring idea, I didn't think about that!

cyclesport

Enlightened
Hi,

I'm new to posting to the forums so I apologize if this is not the right area for this. I did read through the rules and this seemed like the right place to pose the question.

I am insterested in purchasing one of the new Eagletac D25A Clickies when they come out, and am familiar with the XPG and somewhat familiar with the XML (brighter but more floody) than the XPG. But from my research, this XTE is new and only recently came out. Does anyone have any information about this? Is it better than the XPG-R5, XPG-S2, XML? Any information regarding specs of these would be great. I am happy with the XPG R5, heard about the S2 and tint issues, but from what I've read Eagletac does a good job of eliminating that. Any input? Thanks!

Larry

I posted this earlier today in a thread discussion re: EagleTac lights and thought it might be helpful here...

"FWIW I thought I'd report that I spoke to Mike at Pacific Tactical Solutions, distributor for EagleTac today regarding the beam profile of the XT-E since I was having second thoughts about the pre-order I placed with him for the D25LC2 Clicky with XT-E and if I might want to choose the XP-G or XM-L instead. Mike speculates that as soon as CREE offers the XT-E in a neutral tint it will probably replace the XP-G altogether. His reasoning is that is is so similar to the XP-G now, except it improves efficiency by 10% and it gets rid of the doughnut hole sometimes evident in the XP-G. The hot spot should also appear brighter, but admits he has not seen these yet and apparently won't until the new D25 clickies arrive next week. So, I decided to stick with the XT-E and exchage it if I don't like the beam profile."

Larysius

Newly Enlightened
I posted this earlier today in a thread discussion re: EagleTac lights and thought it might be helpful here...

"FWIW I thought I'd report that I spoke to Mike at Pacific Tactical Solutions, distributor for EagleTac today regarding the beam profile of the XT-E since I was having second thoughts about the pre-order I placed with him for the D25LC2 Clicky with XT-E and if I might want to choose the XP-G or XM-L instead. Mike speculates that as soon as CREE offers the XT-E in a neutral tint it will probably replace the XP-G altogether. His reasoning is that is is so similar to the XP-G now, except it improves efficiency by 10% and it gets rid of the doughnut hole sometimes evident in the XP-G. The hot spot should also appear brighter, but admits he has not seen these yet and apparently won't until the new D25 clickies arrive next week. So, I decided to stick with the XT-E and exchage it if I don't like the beam profile."

Excellent to know Cyclesport. Thank You for that info. I have it on pre-order with illumination gear and ultimately went with the XTE as well. I'll be sure to post my observations here when I get it.

cyclesport

Enlightened
Excellent to know Cyclesport. Thank You for that info. I have it on pre-order with illumination gear and ultimately went with the XTE as well. I'll be sure to post my observations here when I get it.

Larysius: FWIW I had the D25LC2 XT-E on order with another distributor when I noticed Illumination Gear had it in stock. I cancelled my existing order to place it with Illumination Gear when Todd told me that every single one of his D25 clickies with the XT-E emitter was full of undesirable tints of yellow and blue with a very splotchy overall beam. It was so bad he, being an honest merchant, sent them all back as defective and will show his website as being "out of stock" with any EagleTac D25 XT-E series clicky for the time being! Bummer, I wanted this light with this emitter too...now pondering the same light with XM-L?