Post your Nichia 219 4500k beamshots

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been this excited about an led in quite some time. The thought of having an led that is around cct 4500k, good color rendition, and very similar characteristically and physically as an XP-G, the imagination goes wild. Hi-cri at 1.4A, triple, quad hi-cri dropins, malkoffs, etc. the imagination and expectations go wild!

Or so that's the hope.

With the Nichia 219 made available to us led lovers, all of these things could possibly come true. However, we haven't seen any beamshots or output from this led. So in anticipation of the eventual pics and posts, I'll start this thread by requesting any pics of this led that you guys have. Beamshots, white wall, comparisons to hi-cri xpg, nichia 119, led swaps, etc would be awesome.

Who will be the first to post a quad nichia 219 p60 drop-in driven at 5.6A? :devil:

Last edited:

S1LVA

Enlightened
Re: Post your Nichia 219 beamshots

My nichia 219 is warm tinted and freakin awesome.

Compared to the famous McGizmo nichia 119...

These were taken with my Droid but the colors are near perfect to what my eye sees.

S1LVA
:wave:

Forgot to mention... The brightness is about the same on both lights on all 3 levels. Despite the fact that the 219 is A LOT warmer, it keeps up with the brightness of the cooler tint 119. I'd like to see the numbers from the both of these in a sphere! It would be more accurate than a ceiling bounce...

Last edited:

diesel79

Enlightened

Looks great. I was thinking of having my HDS 120e modded with one of the nichias.

yifu

Enlightened

Malkoff is making some M61 and M30 variants with this LED, look it up over at the dealer's corner at the MP. I might get one of those.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well considering how impossible it is for mere mortals to get their hands on these, I'm happy enough that I can get a high CRI XP-G from people who support this site. I do wonder what Nichia's thinking is, they don't seem to advertise, promote, or do anything to take away marketshare currently dominated by Cree. They have these innovative ideas and good technology, but I haven't even seen any consumer products that even use their stuff. At most I only see a few very expensive specialty lights, nothing commercial, and certainly nothing affordable.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

The tint seems pretty warm to be the claimed cct 4500k. Is it just me or maybe the camera? Or is the Nichia 119 just that much cooler? I've seen pics of the 119 comparison to a neutral xpg and the cct were almost the same.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

here is a quick pic of the nichia vs the cree high cri (90+) 3000K.

s4Sjd

the nichia is mounted on a cpu heatsink and is using a carclo flood optic, and the cree is in a malkoff m61 dropin.
color balanced to my eyes.. these nichia emitters are wonderful.

Craig

chaoss

Enlightened

Meh, too warm for my tint snobbery taste.
I am having a couple of my mint McLux III PD's modded with these and if they are this warm i will immediately sell them.
To me, NOTHING currently available even comes close to the perfection of Don's 119's.
Thanks for posting those pics S1LVA.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

wait, which 219s are we talking about? mine are the NVSL219AT-H1 which are 4500K 92 CRI.
Saying 219 is like saying Cree XP-G. there are a lot of tints and bins.

Craig

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

4500k Nichia is perfect in my eyes :thumbsup: thanks for making these available :)

Kendall

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

wait, which 219s are we talking about? mine are the NVSL219AT-H1 which are 4500K 92 CRI.
Saying 219 is like saying Cree XP-G. there are a lot of tints and bins.

Craig

Thanks Craig. I edited the title to more closely specify what emitters I was talking about. I definitely was talking about the Nichia 219 4500k 92 cri that was part of a group buy that arek98 started a group buy for and also available on Illumination Supply. Your store front I believe :)

Yeah. That tint is more like what I was expecting. From what I read somewhere, the range of emitted light is a bit wider than an XPG so I guess it's safe to say that whatever we put this emitter in, the beam pattern will be wider than an XPG's?

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cree says the viewing angle of the XP-G is 125 deg, and Nichia's 219 is 120 deg.

From the datasheets:

Cree XP-G
fLeBF

Nichia 219
n8tNC

well, the graphs aren't easy to compare, so I eyeballed and whipped this up:

6gW7j

the 219 is narrower (except for that splotch of light on the fringes) than the XP-G according to data. However, since the emitter base is thinner they will not focus as well in XP-G reflectors, so we're seeing them be floodier.

I hope I got the data right :)

Craig

edit: ah, yes, more beamshots.

gPBiH

posting this before I trip on a wire and blow my room's circuit breaker.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

I will be ordering at least one.
Any special run Malkoff gets the nod from Sgt.

I will start with the 219 LLL and decide if I want to buy the entire 219 line.
I may swap out all my M61's for them

Last edited:

yifu

Enlightened

Looks like vinhnyugen's making P60 drop ins with the 92 cri 219 LED as well, at half the price of the malkoffs.