The Fenix-Store        
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMB View Post
    I'm curious about this.. Does this charger send out slightly too much current to charge a single AA Nimh/Lithium? They say it doesn't, but if you only insert one battery it charges at around 750mh, is that around the upper limit charging current for an AA?
    A NiMH AAA does not have a problem with 750mA charge current, but it is to high for a LiIon AAA.

Other question, it says to put in AAA's in pairs so to cut the charging current 375mA. What if one of the AAA's finishes charging before the other, will the current be bumped up to 750mA and cook the other AAA?
    Yes it will, but if the two LiIon AAA has needs about the number of mAh, you will be in the CV phase and there will be no significant increase in current.
    I do not recommend using the charger for LiIon AAA.
    Last edited by HKJ; 08-28-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    A NiMH AAA does not have a problem with 750mA charge current, but it is to high for a LiIon AAA.
    Do you mean AA?

So, this charger can be used to charge a single Nimh AA, but not recommended for a single LiIon AA?

Sorry for this other question, but if it's not recommend for a single AA LiIon, (eg. 750mh is too high). Would it work if I put in one LiIon and one Nimh AA?

I'm never really going to charge AAA, but I was curious in how this charger works when one of the batteries in slots 1-3 and 2-4 finish charging early..
    Last edited by DavidMB; 08-28-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Do you mean AA?

So, this charger can be used to charge a single Nimh AA, but not recommended for a single LiIon AA?

Sorry for this other question, but if it's not recommend for a single AA LiIon, (eg. 750mh is too high). Would it work if I put in one LiIon and one Nimh AA?

I'm never really going to charge AAA, but I was curious in how this charger works when one of the batteries in slots 1-3 and 2-4 finish charging early..
    Sorry, I did not read you question correctly. There is no problem with AA, neither NiMH or LiIon.

When one slot is finished, it will charge with full current in the other slot.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/

Enlightened

So, can I use my flashlight say on "high" mode and discharge the cell completely before charging it? Will it be the same as discharging it in a battery charger?

Quote Originally Posted by Korgath View Post
    So, can I use my flashlight say on "high" mode and discharge the cell completely before charging it? Will it be the same as discharging it in a battery charger?
    With a battery charger/tester you have much more control with how much you discharge the battery. In some situation you might also want to know the discharge rate and/or how much current you discharge from the battery.

HKJ has summed it up well - there's no problem with single-charging Li-ion or NiMH AA, or single NiMH AAA. It is only single Li-ion AAA where the CC current is too high.

But in answer to your question - yes, when one of the paired slots finishes the charging, the other will behave like a single charging slot. How much the current goes up will depend on the type of battery and where it is in the charging cycle (i.e., for Li-ions, you are likely to be in the CV phase after awhile).

Quote Originally Posted by Korgath View Post
    To add on to HKJ's comment, a typical flashlight on Hi will simply continue to drain the NiMH until it is completely dead (i.e., reads zero volts). Although not as catastrophic as what happens to unprotected Li-ion if you do that, this is still not a healthy thing to do to a NiMH. I recall some testing here that showed over-discharging NiMH is damaging to their ability to hold a charge long-term. This is particularly true of LSD cells (i.e., eneloops), what are very sensitive to over-discharging.

A charger with a proper discharging algorithm is presumably set to terminate the discharge at specified voltage or differential (although I don't know what that would typically be - the experts on NiMH charging here could probably chime in). I would expect that this is a safer thing than trying to run down a cell in flashlight, which will be a lot more variable.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

I've come to live this charger and it replaces my Maha 9000, WP6 and MP2 for general stuff. My only qualm is it's very slow to charge when fully loaded.

Although we don't sell Nitecore gear, I've had them make and exception and we have a slew of i4 coming. It makes perfect sense for those that don't already have a NiMH charger too.

Unenlightened

Another fantastic review selfbuilt! New to the torch world have just purchased a Klarus XT11 with Diffuser and a Nitecore i4 V2 charger with x2 Eagletac 18650 3100mah batteries using your reviews and videos as guidance.

Hope I bought all the right stuff!

Thanks for the great review Selfbuilt. I'm curious though, does anyone know if the charger that lighthound sells is the V1 or the V2? The picture shows a V2 charger, and it says that it includes the new updated power supply. I just don't want to order it expecting the V2, only to get the V1.

The charger need to recognize the battery type and then select the correct algorithm. This is fairly easy with only 3.7 volt LiIon and NiMH. I would be just about impossible to include the 3 (or 3.2) volt chemistry in this.
    Thank you for this review! I have this charger for and I was wondering about my RCR123 3.0 volt options. Guess I will continue to use the charger that came with them and use this for the 18650s. I also appreciate the descriptions regarding charging times and the paired bays - I wasn't quite clear from the manual.

Thanks for the great review and all the informative comments by all.

Received the i4v2 charger and am very happy with it. I was using the WH-139 charger and the batteries got very warm and I never thought about it until my TM11 would always indicate 4.3 volts on startup. So I got the i4v2 charger and batteries do not get warm charging and charging stops at 4.21 v. This is with old and new cells so I am assuming the WF-139 hasn't damaged the cells.
    TM-11,M3C4(1+3xml),T20C2MK2, T10C,M6,TN30-31,VoB 1C Mag,47's S12, M30,M21, Signature LX ,Trust 1,Klarus XT 10,Spark SL6-SD6,SWMT60+40CS,C20C, M11R,XTAR A01,ZL SC600,H51F,SC50, L1A,ITP SA1,A1EOS, A2EOS,Fenix MC10, Led Lenser P7-T7,Xeno E03,Jetbeam JetIIIPro,lllM, BC40

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    It is only single Li-ion AAA where the CC current is too high
    Old thread, but I'd like to challenge this a little. For a protected AA, it's charging at 1C -- definitely not too high, technically, but also rougher on the cell than it needs to be. For protected 16340, it's over 1C, since we know those 750mAh 16340s are chronically short of that. Which means over 1C... not dangerously too high, but rough on the cell. This charger is not what I'd go with if I were charging 14500s or 16340s either . Frankly, I think the charger is a mess, setting current based on bays rather than a simple switch seems to be a bad idea, at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Talmadge View Post
    For a protected AA, it's charging at 1C -- definitely not too high, technically, but also rougher on the cell than it needs to be. For protected 16340, it's over 1C, since we know those 750mAh 16340s are chronically short of that. Which means over 1C... not dangerously too high, but rough on the cell.
    Well, if you look at the actual discharge curves for RCR in the review, you'll see it switches out of CC mode within the first few mins. So practically, it's not getting a very high charge current for very long. Also, it terminates at <40mA current, which is quite reasonable. I've seen other Li-ion chargers that have a lower overall charging current, but terminate at too high a level (which is not good for RCR/14500).

Agreed it is not the ideal choice for RCR/14500, but it's not bad.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale

but terminate at too high a level (which is not good for RCR/14500).
    Terminating at to high a current does not have any harmful effect on a LiIon battery, but it will not charge the battery fully.
    Terminating at 40mA it not that bad for a 16340 or 14500, that is about the same level you will get with a hobby charger (Assuming you charge at 400mA).

Will this charger recharge 3.0 V 16340 size batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by peterharvey73 View Post
    Will this charger recharge 3.0 V 16340 size batteries?
    No, it will not.

Flashaholic*

Well, if you look at the actual discharge curves for RCR in the review, you'll see it switches out of CC mode within the first few mins. So practically, it's not getting a very high charge current for very long. Also, it terminates at <40mA current, which is quite reasonable. I've seen other Li-ion chargers that have a lower overall charging current, but terminate at too high a level (which is not good for RCR/14500).

Agreed it is not the ideal choice for RCR/14500, but it's not bad.
    I'd forgotten that, I hadn't looked at the graphs since they were initially posted. Out of CC and into not-quite-CV in 3 minutes or so, and down to 600mA by 10 minutes in. I realize we don't know how this may (or may not) impact cell wear versus a charger that implements proper CC/CV and charges at (say) 500mA.

Can this charger charge LiMN/IMR cells ?

Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    Can this charger charge LiMN/IMR cells ?
    As I write in my review: Yes
    But it cannot charge LiFePo4.

You need this type of charger in the second picture below with a 4.2/3.6 V selector switch to charge LiFePo4, which is a 3.0 V rechargeable???

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...safe-chemistry

Flashaholic*

Does anybody know if the new Nitecore I2 is the same charger as the I4 v2 with just 2 charging bay instead of 4?

Default Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by Labrador72 View Post
    Does anybody know if the new Nitecore I2 is the same charger as the I4 v2 with just 2 charging bay instead of 4?
    I am curious about this as well. The packaging does look similar to the I4 v2 and it's listed as 100-240v in the description on Battery Junction: http://www.batteryjunction.com/smx-i...harge-i2.html.

Its more compact size would be better for travel IMO.

Edit: Grammar

"May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."
    Last edited by MobileEMP; 10-06-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”

Flashaholic*

You need this type of charger in the second picture below with a 4.2/3.6 V selector switch to charge LiFePo4, which is a 3.0 V rechargeable???
    Are you asking what a 3.0V rechargeable is? It's a standard ICR 3.7V rechargeable with a circuit across the top that bucks the voltage down to 3.0V on output. If I remember what 45/70 said about these cells, the circuit actually takes .3V itself, so to charge these 3.0V Li Ion cells, you need a special charger that charges at 4.5V. Performance on the cells seems bad, which is why no one uses them or talks about them as a realistic replacement

Obviously, lifepo4 is not a 3.0V rechargeables, it's 3.6V max/3.2V nominal, not 3.0V

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Talmadge View Post
    Are you asking what a 3.0V rechargeable is? It's a standard ICR 3.7V rechargeable with a circuit across the top that bucks the voltage down to 3.0V on output. If I remember what 45/70 said about these cells, the circuit actually takes .3V itself, so to charge these 3.0V Li Ion cells, you need a special charger that charges at 4.5V. Performance on the cells seems bad, which is why no one uses them or talks about them as a realistic replacement

Obviously, lifepo4 is not a 3.0V rechargeables, it's 3.6V max/3.2V nominal, not 3.0V
    Thanks for the info Joe.
    I always wanted to know what a 3.0V battery was.

I just used my Sysmax i4 to recharge one partially used Redilast 3100 mAH from a Zebralight SC600, and three partially used AW 2900 mAH flat tops from a Jetbeam RRT-3 - all four recharged simultaneously.
    The lone man Redilast was in bay 1, while the other three occupied the remaining bays.
    I charged them overnight.

However, I have since found that the recharged Redilast 3100 mAH only lasted a short time before it died; somehow it was incompletely charged, despite charging overnight.

Did I do something wrong?
    Was I not supposed to charge the Redilast with the three AW's - simultaneously?
    Or is the i4 not capable of such feat as described above?

However, I have since found that the recharged Redilast 3100 mAH only lasted a short time before it died; somehow it was incompletely charged, despite charging overnight.
    Did I do something wrong?
    Was I not supposed to charge the Redilast with the three AW's - simultaneously?
    Or is the i4 not capable of such feat as described above?
    There's no problem charging different cells simultaneously - the charger is designed for it.

Did all four indicator lights over the bays indicate a full charge? There may have been a contact issue with that cell/bay. Only way to know for sure is to verify the voltages of the cells after charging. Do you have a DMM? I recommend everyone who uses Li-ions to get a basic DMM so that they can verify the actual voltages directly.

Thanks Selfbuilt.
    From my memory, I [think] did insert the batteries correctly in all four bays, and all the four bay lights did light up like usual, and all four bay lights were fully illuminated on full charge, but in future, I will test it with my Fluke after I take the batteries out.

Flashaholic

Is this charger good for charging 16340 at 375mA or should I get xtar mp2 at 250mA ?

Quote Originally Posted by GehenSienachlinks View Post
    Is this charger good for charging 16340 at 375mA or should I get xtar mp2 at 250mA ?
    I haven't tested the MP2, but it is likely fine at that current (based on my testing of other Xtar chargers). The i4 V2 charger is fine for RCR when paired (i.e., at 375mA).

I have a 12 volt car adapter with a plug that fits the Intellicharger perfectly. The socket on the charger is unmarked, however, and I'm worried I'd destroy my charger by just giving it a go.
    Does anyone know the polarity for the 12 volt input?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast