ArmyTek        
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by oKtosiTe View Post
    I have a 12 volt car adapter with a plug that fits the Intellicharger perfectly. The socket on the charger is unmarked, however, and I'm worried I'd destroy my charger by just giving it a go.
    Does anyone know the polarity for the 12 volt input?
    FWIW, and as a disclaimer... please don't take this as an endorsement to do the same, but I too had some older 12v car adaptors lying around from some long forgotten devices that also fit the Intellicharger V2 perfectly and have been using it successfully in my car(s) when camping and driving to recharge a number of different cells...so far, after 3 months, it has performed flawlessly. *I had two of these chargers, and being somewhat reckless and willing to suffer loss of a charger I attempted it monitoring the batteries often for excessive heat and voltage in the beginning, and all seemed to function just as w/110v. ac. I also noticed that pictures of the car cord that Jetbeam sells looked just like the one I was attempting to use so I felt slightly justified in initially trying it.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by cyclesport View Post
    FWIW, and as a disclaimer... please don't take this as an endorsement to do the same, but I too had some older 12v car adaptors lying around from some long forgotten devices that also fit the Intellicharger V2 perfectly and have been using it successfully in my car(s) when camping and driving to recharge a number of different cells...so far, after 3 months, it has performed flawlessly. *I had two of these chargers, and being somewhat reckless and willing to suffer loss of a charger I attempted it monitoring the batteries often for excessive heat and voltage in the beginning, and all seemed to function just as w/110v. ac. I also noticed that pictures of the car cord that Jetbeam sells looked just like the one I was attempting to use so I felt slightly justified in initially trying it.
    I'm pretty convinced it will work, if the polarity is correct. As a kid I've destroyed more than one device by just experimenting. Learned a few things along the way.
    Do you have any way to check the polarity on your adapter?
    Cheers for the heads-up in any case!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oKtosiTe View Post
    Do you have any way to check the polarity on your adapter?
    Cheers for the heads-up in any case!
    For the i4 charger, polarity is most common type used on 5.5x2.1mm plugs, wired like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post
    For the i4 charger, polarity is most common type used on 5.5x2.1mm plugs, wired like this:
    That's what I expected. Thank you!

Flashaholic

So how can I charge one 16340 ? It will only charge the battery at 750ma is this safe ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GehenSienachlinks View Post
    So how can I charge one 16340 ? It will only charge the battery at 750ma is this safe ?
    Nope, it isn't, unless your battery is an IMR. Get another charger, such as Xtar MP2 (250mA), Xtar WP2 II (0.5A / 1A) or Xtar SP2 (0.5A / 1A / 2A).

Nope, it isn't, unless your battery is an IMR. Get another charger, such as Xtar MP2 (250mA), Xtar WP2 II (0.5A / 1A) or Xtar SP2 (0.5A / 1A / 2A).
    I disagree. If you charge a very, very discharged 16340 in this charger, you'll get 750 mA for 10 or 15 minutes tops, then the current reduces to under 500 mA. So you give the battery a 1.5C charge for a few minutes. *IF* you have a totally (or nearly) discharged battery. Why not put another 16340 or other Li-ion battery in the same bank with it for 10 minutes? I do this sometimes. But most of the time I don't bother. My 16340's never get even skin temperature. They stay quite cool and have no issues.

I think someone started something about 16340s being low capacity (500 to 550 mAh) a while ago and everyone suddenly thinks this charger is "dangerous" with 16340s. I'm no expert, but I think this is misplaced hand ringing (worrying for no reason). Give me some proof or evidence I should look for from my cells and I'll change my tune. Until then I'll happily use this charger on 16340s.

Brian.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blgentry View Post
    I disagree. If you charge a very, very discharged 16340 in this charger, you'll get 750 mA for 10 or 15 minutes tops, then the current reduces to under 500 mA. So you give the battery a 1.5C charge for a few minutes. *IF* you have a totally (or nearly) discharged battery. Why not put another 16340 or other Li-ion battery in the same bank with it for 10 minutes? I do this sometimes. But most of the time I don't bother. My 16340's never get even skin temperature. They stay quite cool and have no issues.

I think someone started something about 16340s being low capacity (500 to 550 mAh) a while ago and everyone suddenly thinks this charger is "dangerous" with 16340s. I'm no expert, but I think this is misplaced hand ringing (worrying for no reason). Give me some proof or evidence I should look for from my cells and I'll change my tune. Until then I'll happily use this charger on 16340s.

Brian.
    Check manufacturer datasheets for recommended charging currents (hint: it's usually between 300mA and 420mA for 16340's), and then try to realize that exceeding manufacturer's specifications is never a good idea on something that is potentially explosive.

The answer to my question can probably be easily/instantly deduced from sections 1 & 2 under "Precautions" in the instruction manual, but I am going to ask you guys anyway because the alternative to success is a burned-down house, death, injury, or damage to property.
    I would rather ask you guys who can give me an easy answer since I'm new to the game and at the moment do not want to attend batteryuniversity, nor read through many discussion threads. Thank you.

I have a red AW IMR 14500 3.7v 600mAh cell & this Intellicharger i4 V2 unit.
    Can I charge this cell by itself? I own no other batteries.

Hello,

I have a question regarding the i4 intellicharger!

the manual recommends not charging just one single AAA Nimh as it can't withstand the 750mah current!

instead, it says to charge by 2 or 4 batteries to split the current into 350mah for each slot.

but someone here said that if one of the AAA's finishes charging before the other, the current will be bumped up to 750mA for the other AAA and will cook it!

is it true?

would you still recommend charging by 2?

thanks in advane

Banned

Manual of i4 mostly consists of misleading information, marketing crap and plain bull****.

750mA is not anywhere near enough to cook an AAA, it's under 1C for most NiMH AAA's - which is perfectly safe current.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitevoltage comparisons

I'm not familiar w the jargon- what does "C" stand for? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketship View Post
    instead, it says to charge by 2 or 4 batteries to split the current into 350mah for each slot.
    but someone here said that if one of the AAA's finishes charging before the other, the current will be bumped up to 750mA for the other AAA and will cook it!
    I would recommend charging 2xAAA at a time, in paired bays (#1 & #3, or #2 & #4 on the i4 V2), if you can - but it's not a big deal if you can't.

Note that paired charging does not actually cut the current to 350mA though ... what it does is alternate the full 750mA charge to one-second-on/one-second-off for each paired bay (with ~1/3 of second per pulse to check the status of the other bay). Effectively, this averages out to the equivalent of <350mA over time, but the cell is actually 750mA for one second intervals at a time.

When one cell is fully charged, the other will indeed start charging at the full 750mA (minus the fraction of a second when it checks the other bay). This should be fairly limited in time with matched cells.

In any case, 750mA will not "cook" the cells - it's not that high of a rate. This may not be the ideal charger for AAA ... but then again, that's true of most chargers that don't allow you to specify the actual charging rate. In contrast, a basic charger that is ideal for AAA is going to be rather slow for AA.

FYI, I have recently published a review of the new Jetbeam i4 PRO - this is their newly re-branded version of the i4 V2, in a new housing with a few tweaks. See that review for more details - the AA/AAA charging aspect is unchaged, though..
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 01-08-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

750mA is not anywhere near enough to cook an AAA, it's under 1C for most NiMH AAA's - which is perfectly safe current.
    Quote Originally Posted by herosemblem View Post
    I'm not familiar w the jargon- what does "C" stand for? Thank you.
    "C" refers to C-rate - it's a a scale used to indicate charge and/or discharge current of a specific battery.

Simply put, for a 750mA battery that that is being charged at a 1C-rate, that would mean it is being charged under conditions that provide a current of 750mA for one hour. A 0.5C-rate for the same battery would mean it took two hours to charge the battery (i.e., constant current of 325mA, under ideal conditions). Most AAA NiMH are higher capacity than that (i.e. 800mA or 850mA are more common), so a 750mA current could be considered as just below 1C in most cases.

A 1C charge rate for NiMH is acceptable - this is what's known as a "fast" or "ultrafast" charger (i.e., "ready in one hour"). The issue with fast chargers is that they need to have good communication with the cell, to make sure they don't accidentally over-charge. As result, most good fast chargers probably slightly undercharge the battery at termination. As with most things, it is a lot easier to be more accurate in reaching your desired end point if you drive there slowly and pause before the end - instead of driving quickly and slamming on the breaks.

For Li-ion, it's a bit more complicated, but typically 0.5C-1C is recommend for constant-current phase, follow by a slower constant-voltage phase where the current slowly drops off before termination.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 01-08-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale

Quote Originally Posted by rocketship View Post
    would you still recommend charging by 2?
    A NiMH AAA battery can be charger with 750mA, i.e. you do never need two when charging them. It is only with 10440, i.e. LiIon batteries in AAA size that you have to be careful, preferable use another charger.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

I just received this charger, and was wondering about this part:
    The charging current drops to 750mA when charging two batteries at position #1 & #3. The current is still 750mA for and will alternate charge cycle once every second for each battery. When charging two batteries installed in slot #1 & #2 they will get 750mh respectively. The result is: charging at slot #1 & #2 will be faster than charging at slot #1 & #3 (Reviewer's Note: #2 & #4 are similarly paired, like #1 & #3)

If I have two new Eagletac 14500's (750mAh), is it better to charge them initially in slot 1 & 2 or in slot 1 & 3?

Default Re Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

According to the review 1&2, this way they both are charged at the same rate.

But if they are not going to be used together in the same torch then that isn't so much is an issue.

Sent using Tapatalk 2.
    LED Lenser: P3 (x2), P7 Fenix: TK35 Xtar: TZ20 (x2) Nitecore: SENS CR Thrunite: Ti, TN30

Default Re: Re Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage compari

Thanks, I'll put them in 1&2 then. If everything explodes and burns down, I'm at work anyway ^^

I might use them in the same torch, but not until depletion - just to test what they'll do in a P20A2 with a 6V XP-G2 module that I accidentally received

Default Re: Re Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage compari

You are probably fine charging 14500 in channels #1 & #2 (i.e., each cell gets the full charge). This will charge the cells faster.

If you put the cells in the paired #1 and #3 bays, it will take longer, as the charger alternates the current between the two bays (one second on, one second off).

Note that it doesn't matter for the final charge state - all bays are fairly consistent in producing the same resting voltage, in my testing. It's just a question of how long you want it to take.

Flashaholic

Nice review and what a load of useful information.
    Now have one ordered along with two 8-packs of Eneloop 2000mAh.
    Although I have a few Sanyo 4-bay chargers that came as a package deal when I bought my current on hand Eneloop's, I think on the incoming Eneloop's, I'll sharpie mark to dedicate one of the 8-packs to this charger, other 8-pack to my existing Sanyo charger.

I cannot remember if i can charger both li-ion and nimh battery`s at the same time, does anybody know.

John.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by TinderBox (UK) View Post
    I cannot remember if i can charger both li-ion and nimh battery`s at the same time, does anybody know.

John.
    With the version 2 charger it is no problem, in my review you can see tests where I do it.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

I have the V2 , thanks for the quick answer

John.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    With the version 2 charger it is no problem, in my review you can see tests where I do it.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett.

Unenlightened

Hello all i am new to the forums and i just purchased a Vamo and am looking for a charge. I was wondering how can you tell if the nitcore i4 charge is a V2, is there anywhere you suggest i purchase? Also i was wondering can this charge 1 18650 battery at one time. Also can this handle 18350 batteries without a spacer? Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to the Forum!

I believe the V2's have a yellow sticker. Here is a link from fellow member HKJ. He is the guru for testing. Scroll down to the charger your looking for, and it will provide you with a wealth of information.

http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexB...gers%20UK.html

Quote Originally Posted by rjs987 View Post
    Hello all i am new to the forums and i just purchased a Vamo and am looking for a charge. I was wondering how can you tell if the nitcore i4 charge is a V2, is there anywhere you suggest i purchase? Also i was wondering can this charge 1 18650 battery at one time. Also can this handle 18350 batteries without a spacer? Thanks in advance for your help.
    As RI Chevy mentioned, V2 of the i4 has a yellow spec label on the back. I expect it would be rather rare to find a V1 charger, as they were recalled over a year ago and replaced with the V2 model. The charger can handle 1x18650 fine, as well as 18350 cells without a spacer.

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    Here is a link from fellow member HKJ. He is the guru for testing. Scroll down to the charger your looking for, and it will provide you with a wealth of information.
    http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexB...gers%20UK.html
    Agreed, HKJ is a fantastic resource for all things related to batteries and chargers.

Exclamation Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Thanks guys, glad you are enjoying the review. The charging/battery stuff is not really my forte, but I thought I'd try to provide as detailed an overview as I can.

Yes, RCR2 should only be charged in paired bays on the same channel (1 & 3, or 2 & 4), due to their lower capacity.

Well, the i4 has only a slightly higher initial current (750mA) on a single cell - but given that it is only charging for ~85% of the time, the average CC current is not so different from the the Pila. The i4 also has a lower termination current than the Pila, which is even better for RCR. End result is that is takes longer to charge on the i4, and it seems at least as suitable as the Pila.

Those should all work fine.
    This is my first time using this forum so I am kinda new and will take some time to fully understand the rules and use of the forum ...
    I think this is the best review of the subject charger .....
    Now my First question is that I have a Nitcore I4 Charger and today i received my new Batteries Panasonic 18650B 3400mAh Protected for my TK75 ..... so when i put all the 4 cells in the charger, 3 lights started to blink and one of the light is off , WHY ? I have already tried to change the position of the cell but same result in all slots ?.... (picture attached)
    My second question is that Does a low quality batteries affect the quality/beam/throw of a flash light ?

Welcome to the Forum!

This is a very good review indeed. There are also a few more here. http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexB...gers%20UK.html

I guessing maybe a bad LED light? Or maybe the circuit is not working. Try switching the batteries around to see if it maybe an issue with the battery. Other than that, send it back for a new charger. Charge up the batteries that you have using the slots that work for now.

Low quality batteries MAY affect the quality of the beam with certain drop ins that draw high amps. We would need more info as to the drop ins that you are using. And the "low quality" batteries that your are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by RI Chevy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

This is a very good review indeed. There are also a few more here. http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexB...gers%20UK.html

I guessing maybe a bad LED light? Or maybe the circuit is not working. Try switching the batteries around to see if it maybe an issue with the battery. Other than that, send it back for a new charger. Charge up the batteries that you have using the slots that work for now.

Low quality batteries MAY affect the quality of the beam with certain drop ins that draw high amps. We would need more info as to the drop ins that you are using. And the "low quality" batteries that your are talking about.

@RI Chevy thanx allot for helping me out and replying
    Nothing is wrong with the charger coz i tried switching the batteries around but in all slots i get the same result with the 1 cell so i think this battery is dead n charger works fine .... I have already emailed FastTech for a replacement or reshipment but now again i have to wait for almost 13 days for delivery

Low quality :- lets take a simple example ..... using Chinese cheap battery like ultrafire etc 3800mAh in Fenix TK75 and than using Panasonic 3400 mAh Protected in Fenix TK75 so ;;
    will both the batteries give the same result in throw ? which in Fenix TK75 is 606 meters

Quote Originally Posted by Flame74 View Post
    so when i put all the 4 cells in the charger, 3 lights started to blink and one of the light is off , WHY ? I have already tried to change the position of the cell but same result in all slots ?.... (picture attached)
    Just to clarify - the battery consistently won't charge in any slot, or that particular slot of the charger never lights up? If the former, then the issue is definitely with the battery, and it should be returned IMO. If the latter, the issue is with the charger, and it should be returned. The above is assuming that you have ruled out a problem with properly seating the battery (i.e., the postive contact nub of the battery must be fully in contact with the top terminal of the slot).

Note by the way that you can't just append an image directly to CPF. You have to have it hosted somewhere on the internet, and link to it in the IMG tag.

My second question is that Does a low quality batteries affect the quality/beam/throw of a flash light ?
    As RI Chevy pointed out, the answer to this is qualified. The problem with many "low quality" brands of batteries is that they are sometimes not what they pretend to be (i.e., lower capacity cells that have already seen a lot of use/abuse).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast