RofisLight        
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Stay away from anything *****fire as far as batteries go. Stick with a good quality cell such as the Panasonic that you mentioned and you will get better results, be much safer, and be happier in the long run. The batteries will not have anything to do with throw, as that is where your specific type of flashlight or drop in will determine. Good quality batteries will help in the overall performance and run times. Lower quality batteries (Such as the *****fire 3800 mAh mentioned above which do not exist) will hurt your runtimes and and may not allow your light to perform at optimum. The Panasonic 3400 mAh cells are the largest out on the market today as far as I know. Many different battery companies use the Panasonic cell as their base cell and install a protection circuit to that cell and sell it under their respective names. Keepower, Redilast, and many others use these cells and place their wrapper on them.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Just to clarify - the battery consistently won't charge in any slot, or that particular slot of the charger never lights up? If the former, then the issue is definitely with the battery, and it should be returned IMO. If the latter, the issue is with the charger, and it should be returned. The above is assuming that you have ruled out a problem with properly seating the battery (i.e., the postive contact nub of the battery must be fully in contact with the top terminal of the slot).

Note by the way that you can't just append an image directly to CPF. You have to have it hosted somewhere on the internet, and link to it in the IMG tag.

As RI Chevy pointed out, the answer to this is qualified. The problem with many "low quality" brands of batteries is that they are sometimes not what they pretend to be (i.e., lower capacity cells that have already seen a lot of use/abuse).
    --- Yes it was a problem with the battery and it won't charge in any slot and I have returned it to FastTech
    --- Thanx allot for the suggestion on uploading image on CPF ... as i have mentioned earlier that I am new to the forum so will definitely learn allot from members like you

Does anyone else notice that slot 1 for bay 1 and slot 1 for bay 2 charges batteries to fuller completion than slots 2 and 2?

After a 4 slot charge I rotate slots and the batteries that charged in slots 2 are now continuing to charge in slots 1. The batteries that charged in slots 1 immediately show fully charged on the led indicators for slots 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ledmitter_nli View Post
    After a 4 slot charge I rotate slots and the batteries that charged in slots 2 are now continuing to charge in slots 1. The batteries that charged in slots 1 immediately show fully charged on the led indicators for slots 2.
    Are you able to measure the voltage after charging? There was no significant difference between the wells on my sample (or others I've tested).

Alternatively, how much longer did the cells charge for before second termination? Typically, the charging current is so low near termination, that an additional couple of minutes wouldn't make a measurable difference.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Are you able to measure the voltage after charging? There was no significant difference between the wells on my sample (or others I've tested).

Alternatively, how much longer did the cells charge for before second termination? Typically, the charging current is so low near termination, that an additional couple of minutes wouldn't make a measurable difference.
    Second termination in slot #1 for cells rotated from each bays #2 slot was about 12 min. Second termination in slot #2 for cells rotated from each bays #1 slot was a few seconds.

Don't have a volt read available. Will next time after I run four of these cells down.

Panasonic 3400mAh 18650's BTW.

Does anyone else notice that slot 1 for bay 1 and slot 1 for bay 2 charges batteries to fuller completion than slots 2 and 2?

I noticed that two of four batteries were not full charged at termination: <4.1 vs. 4.17 and 4.21 (this is on a mastech MS8268, which is supposed to be a reliable DMM). I did not pay attention to which battery cane from which bay, though, unfortunately. I put the low ones in my Pila, and pressed the reset button, and they both topped off at 4.18.

Second termination in slot #1 for cells rotated from each bays #2 slot was about 12 min. Second termination in slot #2 for cells rotated from each bays #1 slot was a few seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by srmd22 View Post
    I noticed that two of four batteries were not full charged at termination: <4.1 vs. 4.17 and 4.21 (this is on a mastech MS8268, which is supposed to be a reliable DMM). I did not pay attention to which battery cane from which bay, though, unfortunately. I put the low ones in my Pila, and pressed the reset button, and they both topped off at 4.18.
    Hmm, interesting. With repeated tests of the same cells, or with well matched cells (i.e., same age, number of cycles, purchased in the same batch), I didn't notice any significant difference in the charging levels across the four bays of i4 V2 (or i4 PRO for that matter). Hard to say more in your case without a DMM measure of the resting voltage, but it does sound like some of the bays may not be charging to quite as high level.

However, in ledmitter_nli's case, 12 mins near the termination current level is not going to make a huge difference in resting voltage. But I would recommend you pick up at least an inexpensive DMM just to confirm voltages.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale

Flashaholic

I just ordered 2 IMR 18350 batteries and was trying to figure out if this charger would charge them. There is no listing anywhere for them on the charger box and I couldn't find mention of them in this thread. Does anyone know if they can be charged with the Nitecore I2 or I4? I have both. Please help. Thanks.

NOTE: Went back and looked better and found that I had missed post #37 and #38 where this was mentioned very quickly. Can someone please confirm this and I would be very curious to know why neither charger lists this battery anywhere as being ok to use.
    Last edited by jkid1911; 05-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkid1911 View Post
    I just ordered 2 IMR 18350 batteries and was trying to figure out if this charger would charge them. There is no listing anywhere for them on the charger box and I couldn't find mention of them in this thread. Does anyone know if they can be charged with the Nitecore I2 or I4? I have both. Please help. Thanks.

NOTE: Went back and looked better and found that I had missed post #37 and #38 where this was mentioned very quickly. Can someone please confirm this and I would be very curious to know why neither charger lists this battery anywhere as being ok to use.
    They are ok to charge with both i have done it many times with AW IMR 18350.i dont know why they dont mention them.

Thanks for posting this thread. The instructions for this charger are seriously lacking information.

I have some King Kong ICR26650's that seem to barely connect with the "+" contacts. Is this normal? They seem to be fine in the Intellicharger i2. Is there a mod or workaround to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by ArJuna View Post
    Thanks for posting this thread. The instructions for this charger are seriously lacking information.

I have some King Kong ICR26650's that seem to barely connect with the "+" contacts. Is this normal? They seem to be fine in the Intellicharger i2. Is there a mod or workaround to fix this?
    I believe that's normal. You may have good results making the connection with a small piece of aluminum or copper foil.
    Last edited by oKtosiTe; 06-04-2013 at 11:23 AM.

this ... is ... absolutely ... the ... slowest ... charger ... ever ...

a few days ago, the first set of batteries i charged were a brand new set of AW 3400mah 18650s which took over 5 hours. i have no idea what voltage they went in as.

then i charged 4xRCR123 AW 750mah and those took over 5 hours.

next i charged 4x 2800mah nimh eneloop cells which i use in a bearcat scanner. i have 3 sets and rotate and rest them and my maha 8-cell charger can keep a set of good nimh batteries going for years with its 'soft' charging feature--i rarely need to fast charge these. when i put them into the charger they were about 2/3rds depleted. i finally pulled them out after 5 hours because they were getting hot and the indicator lights said they still weren't charged.

today i get my new tm26 and 4x nitecore 3100mah 18650 cells. i have no idea of the state of the cells--i just put them straight on the charger. 3 hours and 40 minutes later and there is only 1 solid yellow light.

do i have a defective unit? unless i have a spare set of batteries for my tm26 (which cost about $80), 5 hours to charge non-bottomed-out cells is just ridiculous. and it doesn't seem like this charger has the slightest bit of 'intelligence' to it--i have yet to see any proof that it will, for example, top off some cells that are only a couple of tenths of a volt down in a reasonable amount of time. it's strange, because the charger does seem to be aware of the level they are charged to. in other words, if i take a battery out that has two solid yellow lights and put it back in it retains those lights.

i bought this charger because i needed an 18650 charger and i bought this one on the chance i could put my maha in storage and use this one for all (or nearly all) the rechargeable cells i use--lithium and nimh. but the maha would have soft-charged those nimh cells in 30-60 minutes tops and even faster on fast charge. and my cheap little ultra fire charger i paid about $6 would have charged the rcr321 750mah batteries in well under 3 hours even if they were nearly dead.

/guy
    We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien

Sounds like a defective charger. Try charging only one battery at a time and see if it's any different.

tks chris. imo it could easily be something similar to a stuck timer ckt based on the symptoms i'm seeing so far and if i can't get it to complete in a shorter time. all this is subjective though unless i have some objective data.

right now i've got two new 18650 lights (and one takes 4x18650s) and i'm trying to get enough batteries up to charge asap in order to check out the lights, so i haven't had time to record any data. if these nitecorp batteries which i need to try out my tm26 will ever finish charging i'll check voltages using my dvm and try a single battery which is known to be only minimally depleted to see if this charger will do a 'top-up' in just a few minutes--or at least under an hour.

[upd: 4 hours 22 minutes on the charger for a brand new set of nitecore 3100mah 18650 batteries. one (1) solid yellow light. i think defective is the operative word here. either that are all 4 batteries (which were individually packaged and nitecore sealed) are bad. yeah, right ... and yes, i know that now i have the tm26 i could use its internal charger. and my hexbright lite (gathering well-deserved dust) even has an internal charger, but these are the slowest of slow methods.]

[upd2: checked the charger again and there's a bad electronics-burning smell and the bottom is red hot. this charger will be leaving here asap. i guess it's to the tm26 internal charger and wait overnight. ]

[upd3: accidentally found a charger i had no idea i even had--cheap chinese contruction and labeled 'dsd'. sort of a strange configuration--takes 2x123 crossways and 2x18650 lengthways. at least this will allow me to charge 2 cells at a time until i can replace the i4 with another 4-cell charger. then i take the nitecore cells i've been charging for over 4 hours on the i4 and put them one-by-one into the tm26 (i swear to you guys, the oled with the voltmeter was the top selling point!) and checked the voltage. each and every one was 4.10v. next i checked the same cell in each battery chamber to make sure all chambers were working and each one reported 4.10v. fantastic! at least something has gone right tonight. and despite the i4 charger reporting false information, it did charge the cells. and most likely would have over-charged them if i'd let it go any longer--much less overnight. that's most likely what happend to my nimh cells yesterday--i think i left them in too long and might have damaged one or more of the cells. imo, definitely a defective i4 unit.]

[upd4: i pulled the ac cord and let the i4 charger cool down for about an hour. i then put in an aw3400mah 18650 i had just charged yesterday into slot #1. the i4 indicated properly by displaying 3 solid yellow bars. then i put in another aw3400mah 18650 i had bought at the same time, but never charged into slot #3. this one indicated one solid yellow light and a blinking 2nd yellow light. i left the cell in slot #1 which indicated full charge and let the cell in slot #3 charge, albeit monitoring it closely every 10-15 minutes for any erratic behavior or excessive heat. all proceeded normally and this cell too indicated full charge in just over two hours. so i'm completely befuddled. the wacky behavior started with the 4 brand new nitecore cells i tried to charge. although they seem to be working perfectly now in the tm26, perhaps one is flaky even though i checked the voltage on each one separately, the tm26 will after all work on only one cell. anyway, for now i'm going to keep a very close eye on the charger and test voltages of random cells as i charge them. i also plan to pay more attention to which channels i'm using and try to avoid charging 4 very dead batteries all at once.] /gt

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 06-06-2013 at 01:01 AM.
    We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. ~Hunter S. Tolkien

I've never seen a just solid light on. There's always at least one blinking light. If your i4v2 charger ever shows only a solid light, it may well be defective.

sorry, you're right. the only time i see no blinking lights is at full charge when all three yellow lights are solid. i must have meant _one_ solid light, implying that the light above was blinking. the charger seems to again be operating properly, but unexplained still was the unmistakeable smell of overheated electronics mixed with plastic which i experienced when trying to charge the 4 new nitecore 3100mah cells. i have 4 orbtronics 3400s coming in today for the tm26 (the 3100s will be my backup set) and i'll measure the orbtronics before i insert them and then keep a close eye on the charging cycle.

/guy

ok. received my 4 orbtronics 18650 3400mah batteries just now. i put each pair into the tm26 and the voltage showed 3.64v on each pair, i didn't check each individual cell. i put them into the i4 charger at 1812ct and each one showed one solid yellow light with the next light blinking. i'll update this post when i get some results, good or bad.

btw, those orbtronics people are serious about their batteries--packaging was truly impressive.

[upd @1912ct: 1h_00m: one solid yellow light]

[upd @2012ct: 2h_00m: one solid yellow light. smell of overheated electronics. charger very warm to touch. i feel like i should remove them and test voltage again. i know the specs say a charge can take up to 5 hours, but how long should it take to go from 3.64v to 4.2v?]

[upd @2020ct: 2h_06m: one solid yellow light. burning smell only getting worse. removed all batteries and unplugged charger.]

[upd @2026ct: 2h 14m: checked voltage in pairs in tm26 @3.85v. so we have gained 0.2v in 2 hours. put batteries back on charge and the time listed to the left is the restart time. this is basically the same pattern i experienced last night with the brand new 3100mah nitecore cells.]

[upd @2134ct: 3h 14m: one solid yellow light. burning electronics smell.]

[upd @2230ct: 4h 10m: one solid yellow light. burning electronics smell. i think i am aborting this test. 4 hours of charging and, according to the charger, there has been no advancement as we still only have the one solid yellow light on. we know that they went from 3.64v to 3.85v in just over 2 hours. i am going to pull them again and test voltage. i'm guessing that the charger is so hot that all the charging energy is being dissipated in heat loss. i just tested them again in the tm26 and they read 4.07v. so the yellow light indicators on the i4 charger are nowhere near correct. at that voltage they ought to have two solid yellow lights with the 3rd blinking. i think this charger is headed for the trash--it is unreliable and inconsistent and might ruin a set of batteries if left unattended.]

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 06-06-2013 at 07:29 PM.

received an xtar vp1 today and i sure with i had gotten two of these instead of the nitecore. so much better. best thing is that you know exactly what the status is at any time as compared to me checking on the i4 yellow lights every hour and wondering if the damm thing was just stuck or not.

the only con i can see of the xtar is it only accommodates two cells at a time, but surely if others feel the same as me and it becomes popular they'll release a larger model. i would far prefer to do 2 charging cycles to charge 4 cells in the xtar than only the one cycle in the nitecore.

/guy
    Last edited by gteague; 06-16-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Great review! But I am a little confused about one thing. I am charging efest imr high drain 18650 and 18350 I also have an EH 18650 imr. Which bays do I put them in if charging two to get the fastest charge? 1&2?

Quote Originally Posted by Popeskill View Post
    Great review! But I am a little confused about one thing. I am charging efest imr high drain 18650 and 18350 I also have an EH 18650 imr. Which bays do I put them in if charging two to get the fastest charge? 1&2?
    On my sample of the i4-V2, pairing in slots 1 & 2 (or 3 & 4) will be fastest. It is different on the Jetbeam i4 PRO (there, it is 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 for faster charging).

On my sample of the i4-V2, pairing in slots 1 & 2 (or 3 & 4) will be fastest. It is different on the Jetbeam i4 PRO (there, it is 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 for faster charging).
    Thank you!

Thought I would get myself registered after reading (and buying) for years now.

I just purchased the i4 from HK based on the review here. I noticed something weird, slightly worrying on mine so I thought lets check with the folks here if they can reproduce it on their i4 or that mine is just a DOA.
    Situation is as following. 4 identical 18650 cells that are almost full ... 2 out of the 4 are already showing full because I took out 2 cells to test a flashlight. They were used for like 1 minute and then placed back in the i4.

Now something weird with slot 2. When I take the batt from either slot 1 or 3 that shows 'full' in slot 2 it starts charging again. It is not that it stops after 1 minute but after 10 minutes it still shows charging so I pulled the plug safety wise.

I made a small recording, not very handy swapping batts and holding the camera in the other hand btw.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6odzE0nJxfs

Sending it back to the seller registered costs me more than buying another one and since I will need a reliable 4 port charger within a couple of weeks time it is getting a bit urgent.
    What do you guys think about this?

Flashaholic*

What are they showing on your meter? The gauge on the charger is not a good thing to go by.
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortus View Post
    What are they showing on your meter? The gauge on the charger is not a good thing to go by.

Good question, and actually not very bright of me not to measure it (just as a 'valid' excuse it was about 2am).
    I have 2 Fluke's which should be pretty precise but I don't have a good feeling about it. It obviously kept on charging, even after those 10 minutes, otherwise the leds wouldn't be indicating this. The charger shows as being 1% precise on the bottom so yes measuring should be my next step.

NiteCore i4 Innards -

Last edited by TronPlayer; 07-08-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Does this charger have any "top up" capabilities ? Just wondered if it would be possible to check the full charge of 18650 batteries, insert them for a quick and easy top up process ?

Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by hemdale View Post
    Does this charger have any "top up" capabilities ? Just wondered if it would be possible to check the full charge of 18650 batteries, insert them for a quick and easy top up process ?

Thanks !
    Decent Li-ion chargers are able to safely top up Li-ion batteries without any problems. They will cut off when the voltage reaches a certain level (usually around 4.2V). A full cell should cut off almost immediately, although I've seen it take up to a number of minutes on the I4v2.
    Still caution is recommended and checking voltages with a DMM after and before charging is always a good idea.

Stupid question, but is it harmful in anyway to the battery or charger if, say, you were to accidently unplug the charger while it was charging? For ex, you tried to disconnect a plug for something else from an ovepopulated outlet and accidently unplugged the i4 v2? Or a power outage. If either of these happen, you could just replug it and it'd continue where it left off, right?

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitiveInquirer View Post
    Stupid question, but is it harmful in anyway to the battery or charger if, say, you were to accidently unplug the charger while it was charging? For ex, you tried to disconnect a plug for something else from an ovepopulated outlet and accidently unplugged the i4 v2? Or a power outage. If either of these happen, you could just replug it and it'd continue where it left off, right?
    Generally no, as you write you can just replug it.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Generally no, as you write you can just replug it.
    Just tried it, unplugged for about 30 seconds, restarted fine.

Norm

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast