NEXTORCH - 300 m long-shot E6        
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Thanks Norm, HKJ for the reply. This looks like a sweet, affordable charger that should serve my eneloops & 18650s well.

Asides from the obvious differences of 2 compared to 4 slots, i wonder how the intellicharger i2 comapares to this i4. Price isn't much less and it only offers 2 slots. I didn't find much info on the i2 on cpf.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by InquisitiveInquirer View Post
    Asides from the obvious differences of 2 compared to 4 slots, i wonder how the intellicharger i2 comapares to this i4. Price isn't much less and it only offers 2 slots. I didn't find much info on the i2 on cpf.
    I would suggest that you look for my reviews, either here on CPF (including comments) or on my website, I have tested both of them.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

I just found the review. My bad! So the in the conclusions, you say, "For most purposes I will say this charger is better than the i4, the lower charge current makes it much better for the 14500 and 16340 batteries, the trays works better and it does not reduce the current when it is filled with batteries." Makes my decision easier.

Thanks for all the time and efforts in your awesome reviews HKJ!

Flashaholic

Ok, I recently got a Nitecore I4 and was advertised as a V2. I don't see any marking to lead me to see that it is in fact a Version 2 charger.

Quote Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
    Ok, I recently got a Nitecore I4 and was advertised as a V2. I don't see any marking to lead me to see that it is in fact a Version 2 charger.
    It is probably a version 2, version 1 was discontinued long time ago.
    You can see my comparison here: http://lygte-info.dk/review/Differen...20V2%20UK.html
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/

Thoughts on using this as a travel charger?

By "travel", I don't necessarily mean compact and light but rather a do-it-all charger that I can keep in my Jeep and always have access to charging my Eneloops and 18650 while away from home (forget main charger or extra batteries). The price also fits my needs since it may just sit in a bag and rarely get used.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Thoughts on using this as a travel charger?

By "travel", I don't necessarily mean compact and light but rather a do-it-all charger that I can keep in my Jeep and always have access to charging my Eneloops and 18650 while away from home (forget main charger or extra batteries). The price also fits my needs since it may just sit in a bag and rarely get used.
    Assuming you've tested it on both 12v and 110v and it works as it should, I think it would be a great travel charger. I love that I can have one charger for both lithium ions and eneloops.

Default Nitecore Intellicharge: Pros and cons?

Hi all - I'm after my first charger for 18650 battery units and the Nitecore Intellicharger caught my eye. As well as primary 18650 recharging duty, can this unit cope with my Sanyo Eneloop AA and AAA batteries?

As a stand alone jack of all trades charger, can it be recommended as being reliable?

Plus which 18650 batteries do you prefer - 2600mAh or the 3600mAh? Will be used in a Fenix PD35 btw.

Any thoughts and advice welcome :-)
    Last edited by YetiFlash; 09-10-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Nitecore Intellicharge: Pros and cons?

I think you can find the answer to both your questions here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...e-comparisons/
    And here:
    http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review%2...20V2%20UK.html

I have one. It's not a bad charger but watch it carefully, mine has a tendency to overcharge slightly (sometimes I pull off my Panasonic 3400s) at 4.23V if I let it go til it terminates. This isn't exactly dangerous but will wear down your cells a bit faster especially if you run them through alot of cycles. My Zebralight and cheap cells (Trustfire) seem to terminate at 4.20V almost exactly though. Like any li-ion charger, use a multi meter and watch it closely, especially near termination. On mine, I'll usually pull the cells off once I get 2 solid bars on the indicator as this indicates a voltage between 4.10 and 4.20 on my unit which is effectively full and less hard on the cells than hitting the full 4.20 (or a little above).

Thanks folks - appreciated.

Are there any other dedicated 18650 chargers I should be considering - same with the 18650 batteries (protected) ?

*Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: Nitecore Intellicharge: Pros and cons?

Quote Originally Posted by YetiFlash View Post
    Hi all - I'm after my first charger for 18650 battery units and the Nitecore Intellicharger caught my eye. As well as primary 18650 recharging duty, can this unit cope with my Sanyo Eneloop AA and AAA batteries?

As a stand alone jack of all trades charger, can it be recommended as being reliable?

Plus which 18650 batteries do you prefer - 2600mAh or the 3600mAh? Will be used in a Fenix PD35 btw.

There's no such thing as a real 3600 mah 18650, meaning you either meant to type 3400 mah, or, you have one of those BS el cheapo cells that might be recycled from a lap top, or whatever (Whatever it IS, it ISN'T 3600 mah 18650)

And, sure, the i4 does both eneloops and li-ions.

I use that same i4, plus, Xtar WP6 (6 bay), Xtar VP1 (A few of them), Pila IBC, and a few others. I also have some dedicated chargers JUST for nimh of various sizes...MAHA C808M, etc.

They all work fine...with some being faster or slower, or having better displays of what they are doing, etc.
    Last edited by TEEJ; 09-10-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Nitecore i4 is too slow for four high capacity 18650 batteries, charge current only 4*375mA.. so I recommend XTAR XP4, charge current 4*250mA, 500mA, 1000mA + USB output 1A.

Recommended battery for PD35 (I have PD35) unprotected Panasonic NCR18650B, 3400mAh. High performance, fit perfectly. PD35 will reduce the brightness when voltage dropping down to ~3.20V.
    Last edited by gopajti; 09-10-2013 at 12:32 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by YetiFlash View Post

I have Two of them. For me they work fine for the 18650 L.Ion.

I just got an EA4 which take AA. I bought the Sanyo eneloop 2500 Mah AA/XX Nimh. The charger can't seem to charge them past 1.42. That is warm off of the charger. Then they drop to about 1.39 after they cool. It won't charge them to 1.5 volts. If you leave it on too long thinking it will get to that point, the batteries get a bit hot!

Anyway, when all three lights are solid and it is suppose to done, that is the furthest it will charge! That is about 1.39 after they cool.

Good news, I still got 1 hour 15 minutes of high and about 20 minutes of turbo on my EA4[Nitecore]. it is suppose to get 2 hours on high.

Let me know if you get the same results.

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"capo di capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"
    Last edited by Capolini; 09-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.

NiMHs shouldn't go to 1.5V anyway, that is for carbon-zinc or alkaline primaries. NiMH are nominal 1.2V but they do come off the charger somewhere around 1.4 or so. Not sure why you're seeing short run times on your light.

Quote Originally Posted by N8N View Post
    NiMHs shouldn't go to 1.5V anyway, that is for carbon-zinc or alkaline primaries. NiMH are nominal 1.2V but they do come off the charger somewhere around 1.4 or so. Not sure why you're seeing short run times on your light.
    While on the charger they may go above 1.5 volt, but drops below 1.5 volt when charge current is stopped.
    Here is my charge curve for black eneloop:

Banned

I did not say I was getting SHORT run times. The EA4 according to Nitecore should get 2 hours run time on "High" setting.

As I indicated in post #7, I got about 1 hour 15 minutes on high AND 20 minutes on turbo. I do not know the equivalent of Turbo minutes into high, or vice versa, but that does not seem that bad to me. Hypothetically speaking if 20 minutes of turbo equaled 30 minutes of high, I would have gotten 1 hour and 45 minutes of high.

Also, if this battery website was right, it usually or sometimes may take 4 or 5 discharge cycles to get the full capacity of the cell.

In conclusion from my early experience and from the help of people on here, I do not think I should be worried if my I4 will only take it to about 1.43 or so at its highest voltage. I think I also need to remember that the I4 CAN charge L.ion, Nimh and Nicd but is NOT specifically made for Nimh batteries. I am not going to buy another charger specifically made for Nimh, which MAY do a better job. This[EA4] is like 5th or 6th in line for torches I use! I wear it on my belt for emergency if the high powered torches fail!! I also ordered another light[Fenix TK-35] with similar output!

Like I need another one!! I started a thread about that! "CROSSING THE LINE- WHEN IS TOO MUCH TOO MUCH"!

Thanks everyone

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"

Ahhhh... Capolini, I misunderstood, I thought that you meant that NC spec'd 2 hours on high, but you were fully discharged after 1h 15m and then tested total runtime on turbo and found it to be 20m. In your case I would not worry about it as it sounds like you are doing fine

HKJ, that is interesting and I don't doubt you, I don't have any way of reproducing that though as I don't have any Eneloop XXs. I can say that I've been charging a bunch of Gen2 and Gen3 loops, Imedions, and now a few Tenergy Centuras on my C9000 and per the C9000's display, I haven't ever seen the voltage go over 1.5. I have a pair of Centura Ds breaking in right now and they're about an hour away from being done (so really, they ought to be full already, having had 15 hours of 0.1C charge crammed into them at this point) cell voltage displayed is 1.45 and 1.43. That said, I have not checked it against a real meter, although maybe I should - although at the same time, there's the principle of "if it's working, don't mess with it."

Of course, my meter is disassembled at the moment as one of the D cells is going into it, that makes life difficult (but I think it only needs the cell for resistance measurements)

I do not have any data with XX and low charge current. From the XTAR XP1 I have just reviewed, there is a 0.25A charge curve:

Again, it goes above 1.5 volt and drops below when charge current is turned off. This charger is pulsing the current, that is the reason for the thick lines.

I can reproduce that, next time I have to charge some AAs (assuming that I remember to come back to this discussion) I will discharge them fully then charge @ 0.25A and see what happens. I don't have a fancy logging meter like you do though, I'll have to take my measurements eyeballically. (just two Flukes and a Simpson 260, the latter of which I actually use most, but perhaps for this purpose a Fluke would be better.)

Also, Capolini - note that while HKJ and I are looking at the maximum voltage achieved anywhere in the charge cycle, if you are measuring the voltage after the charge cycle has terminated (which it sounds like you are) HKJ's graphs drop off quickly after the charge current stops and within a matter of minutes are below 1.5V even though the voltage just prior to termination was higher.
    Last edited by N8N; 09-11-2013 at 07:27 AM.

I can reproduce that, next time I have to charge some AAs (assuming that I remember to come back to this discussion) I will discharge them fully then charge @ 0.25A and see what happens. I don't have a fancy logging meter like you do though, I'll have to take my measurements eyeballically. (just two Flukes and a Simpson 260, the latter of which I actually use most, but perhaps for this purpose a Fluke would be better.)
    My DMM's are fancy logging meters, but I do not use it, I let the computer do the logging

Also, Capolini - note that while HKJ and I are looking at the maximum voltage achieved anywhere in the charge cycle, if you are measuring the voltage after the charge cycle has terminated (which it sounds like you are) HKJ's graphs drop off quickly after the charge current stops and within a matter of minutes are below 1.5V even though the voltage just prior to termination was higher.
    Yes, it is very important when the voltage is measured.

Banned

Yes, thank you young man!!

As I indicated in Post # 7[!!] Immediately after taking off the charger they were 1.42 v,after they cooled[15 minutes or so, SHOULD I WAIT AN HOUR???!!!!] they were at 1.39v. I realize that the ACCURATE reading is the latter!

I think I will be ok!!

I am going to get a torch for my Siberian!!!

Ciao,,,Roberto,,,"Capo di Capo" "KEEP LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS"
    Last edited by Capolini; 09-11-2013 at 07:56 AM.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage compariso

young man? Only reason I don't call anyone "son" is I certainly don't need anyone calling me "dad"

Anyway we're drifting off topic here but I got my meter back together and am charging another set of cells now in my C9000... the voltage displayed is dead on w/in .01V per my Simpson 260. (say what you like, it's older than some of you reading this and still works.) Right now it's charging some cells that I just deliberately discharged for break in, so the voltage is low, one is at 1.33 and the other at 1.35V. That is what I'm reading on the Simpson most of the time, about 1x a second the needle ticks up maybe 0.1-0.2V or so.

It's entirely possible, though, that a different charger might have a different termination point/set of criteria. In fact, I recall one criticism of the C9000 was that it terminated too early for some cells particularly Eneloops and would terminate on absolute voltage before negative delta-V and that to get a 100% full charge you needed to let it trickle for about 2 hrs. after it displays "done." So 1.50V may be a little high for a NiMH but not excessively so; but at the same time not achieving it does not necessarily mean that your charger isn't doing its job.
    Last edited by Norm; 09-11-2013 at 01:33 PM.

very nice review. i have a question though, will this v2 charger work with >2600 rating batteries such as samsung, sanyo etc? cause i read that those need voltages up to 4.35 V to make full use of their true capacity?
    Would the trustfire TR001 work as well? Just curious cause am planning to get one of the 2. first timer investing in batteries and chargers.

It won't terminate that high. But the new 3400s are designed for 4.20V as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by sptham30 View Post
    very nice review. i have a question though, will this v2 charger work with >2600 rating batteries such as samsung, sanyo etc? cause i read that those need voltages up to 4.35 V to make full use of their true capacity?
    Would the trustfire TR001 work as well? Just curious cause am planning to get one of the 2. first timer investing in batteries and chargers.
    Trustfire doesn't have the best reputation around here. Steer clear of *fire batteries if at all possible. Batteries that can be charged to 4.35V should marked very clearly as such, because charging regular (4.2V max) cells to 4.35V is quite dangerous and may result in loss of property, limbs or life.
    The i4v2 will charge 3100mAh and 3400mAh cells from reputable brands just fine. To get a good idea about what batteries to get, check HKJ's battery and charger reviews and comparisons.
    Last edited by oKtosiTe; 09-19-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage compari

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle View Post
    It won't terminate that high. But the new 3400s are designed for 4.20V as far as I know
    Yes, all commercial "3.7V" (nominal) li-ions charge to 4.2V.

I don't know where these claims of higher charging voltages come from, but the built-in over-charge protection feature of all protected li-ions cells would kick in long before then. Not that you would want to test that - any good quality charger should terminate by shortly above 4.20V.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage compari

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Yes, all commercial "3.7V" (nominal) li-ions charge to 4.2V.

Not all, but most. There is a reason there exists 4.35V chargers.

I don't know where these claims of higher charging voltages come from, but the built-in over-charge protection feature of all protected li-ions cells would kick in long before then. Not that you would want to test that -
    You can get protection IC's for different voltages, but sadly the manufactures of protection LiIon batteries with 4.30 and 4.35 volt, does sometime use 4.20 volt protection chips, preventing full use of the battery.

any good quality charger should terminate by shortly above 4.20V.
    A 4.20 volt charger shall terminate at 4.20 volt, when the current is down to about 50 to 100mA (for 18650) and the LiIon battery will end up with a voltage slightly below 4.20 volt (Somewhere between 4.17 and 4.199 volt, older batteries can be lower). This voltage drop is very easy to see in all my battery tests, where I have a charge curve from a nearly ideal CC/CV charger with 100mA termination.
    Because there is +/- 0.05 volt tolerance on the 4.20 volt specification, it is ok to get a battery with 4.23 volt after charging (That could mean a 4.25 volt charger with a 0.02 volt drop when finished).

Thanks for the reply HKJ. Very interesting - I didn't think there were any higher charging cells that were still considered 3.7V nominal (which is what I was limiting my comments to in my last post). That certainly makes it difficult for consumers to separate out. Thanks for the info.

And bizarre that some makers of such cells would compound the problem by putting early termination circuits. Doesn't sound very well thought out.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 09-20-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Thanks for the reply HKJ. Very interesting - I didn't think there were any higher charging cells that were still considered 3.7V nominal (which is what I was limiting my comments to in my last post). That certainly makes it difficult for consumers to separate out. Thanks for the info.
    I agree, but the nominal voltage has not been increased, at least not on the cells where I could find a datasheet.

And bizarre that some makers of such cells would compound the problem by putting early termination circuits. Doesn't sound very well thought out.
    No, I suppose it was a mistake in production or maybe missing knowledge.
    I have only tested a few (protected) batteries for more than 4.20 volt and one of these had the problem.

Generally you can find all the 18650 batteries I have tested in my comparator, I have not included the curve for the failed protection, but you can find a few 4.3 volt and 4.35 volt curves.

For 4.35 volt batteries you can get a specialized charger, for 4.3 volt batteries, you need a hobby charger, where you can trim the charge voltage, I have not seen any charger for it. Using a 4.35 volt charger for 4.30 volt batteries will probably be within allowable tolerances, but would reduce the lifetime of the battery.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast