Wuben        
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

I was looking for a good on this charger, and darned if I didn't find 2 on the same forum.
    Thanks much!

Unenlightened

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Would anyone know if this charger is in anyway compatible with a Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel?

My thinking is that with the right cord 8mm Male to 5.5mm Male I could charge the Nitecore i4 (or i2) with the nomad 7, below are the Nomads specs:

SOLAR PANEL
    Rated wattage 7W
    Cell Type Mono crystalline
    Open-circuit Voltage 8-9V
    OUTPUT PORTS (3)
    USB port 5V, up to 1A (5W max), regulated
    Solar port (blue, 8mm) 15V, up to 0.3A (5W max), regulated
    Mini solar port (2.5mm) 6.5V, up to 1.1A (7W max)

I think I'd use the "Solar port (blue, 8mm, 15V, up to 0.3A [5W max])" output, into the Nitecore i4 (DC12V 10watt) Input? I'm hoping the panel produces enough power to charge with the Nitecore i2, anyone know better?

Thanks,
    Jayger

Should work, but probably not 4 cells at once. 15V is a little high for a "12V" input but I assume Nitecore probably tested it up to maybe 14.2V or so as they have to assume that people will be using cigarette lighter adapters.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 4

This is my first charger I ordered from Amazon and it seems to work pretty good so far .

Quote Originally Posted by oKtosiTe View Post
    Trustfire doesn't have the best reputation around here. Steer clear of *fire batteries if at all possible. Batteries that can be charged to 4.35V should marked very clearly as such, because charging regular (4.2V max) cells to 4.35V is quite dangerous and may result in loss of property, limbs or life.
    The i4v2 will charge 3100mAh and 3400mAh cells from reputable brands just fine. To get a good idea about what batteries to get, check HKJ's battery and charger reviews and comparisons.
    Reputable brands like panasonic 3400mAH, samsung and sanyo's 2600mah should have no problem with these chargers. so i just have to steer clear of any *fire brands.. i did notice trustfire brands don't have good reputation here... Am planning to to order from fasttech. good? or are there other good sites with free postage?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Not all, but most. There is a reason there exists 4.35V chargers.

You can get protection IC's for different voltages, but sadly the manufactures of protection LiIon batteries with 4.30 and 4.35 volt, does sometime use 4.20 volt protection chips, preventing full use of the battery.

A 4.20 volt charger shall terminate at 4.20 volt, when the current is down to about 50 to 100mA (for 18650) and the LiIon battery will end up with a voltage slightly below 4.20 volt (Somewhere between 4.17 and 4.199 volt, older batteries can be lower). This voltage drop is very easy to see in all my battery tests, where I have a charge curve from a nearly ideal CC/CV charger with 100mA termination.
    Because there is +/- 0.05 volt tolerance on the 4.20 volt specification, it is ok to get a battery with 4.23 volt after charging (That could mean a 4.25 volt charger with a 0.02 volt drop when finished).

So it highly depends on the IC as well. imagine a battery with 3400mAH but the IC terminates at 4.20V, then can only charge for less than 2400mAH? wasted the extra 1000mAH

Unenlightened

Question Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Hello,
    So, for charging:
    - 2(4) 26650 batteries of 5800 mAh (6800 mAh)
    or/and
    - 2(4) 18650 batteries of 5000 mAh

which charger is the best?

As people seems to debate which charger does this job extremely well. Nitecore i4 v.2 does the job but it doesn't seem to me that it does this job very good.

Thanks in advance,
    Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRA View Post
    Hello,
    So, for charging:
    - 2(4) 26650 batteries of 5800 mAh (6800 mAh)
    or/and
    - 2(4) 18650 batteries of 5000 mAh

which charger is the best?

As people seems to debate which charger does this job extremely well. Nitecore i4 v.2 does the job but it doesn't seem to me that it does this job very good.

Thanks in advance,
    Arthur
    Where do you get these batteries? I have tested a few 18650 and 26650, but never seen capacities that high.

I have also tested a few chargers and the ThruNite MCC-4 looks like a good charger. The Xtar XP4 might also be good for LiIon, but I am not ready with a review yet.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

Ultrafire makes some very high capacity batteries they must have somekind of advanced technology available

I have just bought Nitecore Intellicharger i4 and one Nitecore NL189 3400 mAh 18650 battery. I opened the battery package then measured the voltage it showed 3.63 V. I plugged the battery in the charger and checked it out every about 30 minutes during the charging process. The battery was barely getting warm during the charging.

After a few hours, I noticed all three lights were steadily on, the battery was not warm at all so I believe the charger has stopped charging. When I measured the battery voltage 15 mins after I took it off the charger, it was 4.22 V. My digital multimeter is a cheap one, its manual says at 20V selector the resolution is 10 mV, accuracy is 0.5% 3 RDG.

On the second night (maybe around 30 hours later) the battery voltage was 4.20 V. On the third night, it was 4.18 V.

Is this normal? Can anyone who has the same charger, battery, and probably better multimeter run some tests?

I am still awaiting for my flashlight delivery, so I do not have anything to discharge the battery and run another tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Petir View Post
    I have just bought Nitecore Intellicharger i4 and one Nitecore NL189 3400 mAh 18650 battery. I opened the battery package then measured the voltage it showed 3.63 V. I plugged the battery in the charger and checked it out every about 30 minutes during the charging process. The battery was barely getting warm during the charging.

After a few hours, I noticed all three lights were steadily on, the battery was not warm at all so I believe the charger has stopped charging. When I measured the battery voltage 15 mins after I took it off the charger, it was 4.22 V. My digital multimeter is a cheap one, its manual says at 20V selector the resolution is 10 mV, accuracy is 0.5% 3 RDG.

On the second night (maybe around 30 hours later) the battery voltage was 4.20 V. On the third night, it was 4.18 V.

Is this normal? Can anyone who has the same charger, battery, and probably better multimeter run some tests?

I am still awaiting for my flashlight delivery, so I do not have anything to discharge the battery and run another tests.
    Sounds pretty normal to me. Although ideally chargers terminate at exactly 4.2 or slightly below that, anything below 4.25 is not generally considered dangerous. It will probably shorten the lifetime of your cells a bit however.
    I would really recommend confirming the readings with a better/other DMM.

Flashaholic

Default Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage compar...

Sounds normal to me. The battery voltage will go down slightly after the cell has been taken off the charger, if the charging current is low it will not warm up much or at all. All seems normal

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage compar...

Sounds pretty normal to me. Although ideally chargers terminate at exactly 4.2 or slightly below that, anything below 4.25 is not generally considered dangerous. It will probably shorten the lifetime of your cells a bit however.
    I would really recommend confirming the readings with a better/other DMM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fortean101 View Post
    Sounds normal to me. The battery voltage will go down slightly after the cell has been taken off the charger, if the charging current is low it will not warm up much or at all. All seems normal
    I found a thread in BLF about this, it seems i4 does charges up to slightly than 4.20 Volt....

hi there,im new on hear lol.got into flash lights.i got this changer and some new 18650 protected ones.but when there on charge on the 3rd flashing light it goes off.but when i charge AA or AAA i get full solid orange lights full charge, can someone help me out thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 27woz27 View Post
    hi there,im new on hear lol.got into flash lights.i got this changer and some new 18650 protected ones.but when there on charge on the 3rd flashing light it goes off.but when i charge AA or AAA i get full solid orange lights full charge, can someone help me out thanks.
    I have just got this charger, and I'm seeing the exact same thing happening when charging four 3400mAh Panasonic 18650s. Batteries do charge fully - I checked the voltages and they all have the same voltage - 4.17V. However, on three of the batteries, the charge indicator lights switch completely off when the charging is done. On the remaining fourth battery, all three indicators remain lit, just as it should when the battery is fully charged. It looks like lights go off in posts 1, 3 and 4, while the post 2 remains lit. None of the four batteries are even slightly warm to touch, once the charging is done, regardless if the lights are lit or not btw.

The same thing happens even when I charge just two batteries - one in port 2 and other in port 4. Port 4 lights go off, while port 2 lights stay lit :\ I wonder if this is an indication of some future problem with my charger and if I should even keep using it, despite it clearly being able to charge the batteries right now.
    Last edited by Marconelly; 12-17-2013 at 08:15 PM.

I have charged everything from 34mah unprotected NCR18650B cells to 2600mah laptop pulls in my four Intellichargers. I had one bad one that would shut off every five minutes or so, but Amazon swapped the bad one out for me. The chargers sit with all three leds lit on each cell when finished. Maybe it's the protection circuit on the cells tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Bub View Post
    Maybe it's the protection circuit on the cells tripping.
    I thought so as well, but when I swapped the cells around to different bays, it would still always be that lights on ports 1, 3, 4 go off, and lights on port 2 remain lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marconelly View Post
    I thought so as well, but when I swapped the cells around to different bays, it would still always be that lights on ports 1, 3, 4 go off, and lights on port 2 remain lit.
    You may have gotten a defective unit. All three LEDs on all four cells on all four of my I4s stay on solid when charging is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Bub View Post
    You may have gotten a defective unit. All three LEDs on all four cells on all four of my I4s stay on solid when charging is complete.
    I'll try it once more when the batteries have been discharged after I've been using them in the light. I'm not sure in what state they are when they're charged the very first time. If there's still a problem, I'll contact the seller. I've also noticed that the cable end that plugs into the charger is really loose. It's extremely easy to unplug it, even by accident if you move the charger around and tug it just a bit.

All of mine are loose and don't seem to go in far enough. It's like they didn't make the hole deep enough.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Will it charge a tab top battery or just a flat top?

Quote Originally Posted by dewie View Post
    Will it charge a tab top battery or just a flat top?
    Charges flat top and button top fine,little tip on the spring slides as quite stiff when new.Little bit of silicon spray on the springs,frees it up nicely.

I bought a car cigarette lighter adapter cable to be used with my Nitecore i4. It looks like just a "pass-through" cable adapter without any circuit board inside. There is a fuse of 2A / 250V inside.
    So I plugged it to the car lighter socket and measure the output using a DMM. The voltage is 14 Volt!

Is it safe for my i4? As per its specification it needs 12 Volt instead.

That's a normal voltage, if your car battery was actually at 12V it would be pretty low or dead.

Hi. First of all, just wanted to say thanks selfbuilt for an excellent review.... helped me in making my decision to buy this charger. Regrading the order of the slots. I'm assuming the order is simply 1-4 from left to right, as shown in the picture below. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by HiGhGuY View Post
    Hi. First of all, just wanted to say thanks selfbuilt for an excellent review.... helped me in making my decision to buy this charger. Regrading the order of the slots. I'm assuming the order is simply 1-4 from left to right, as shown in the picture below. Can anyone confirm this? Thank you.

Yes, that's correct.

With those cells (Duraloops as far as I can tell), you're probably better off using slot 1&2, 2&3, 3&4 or 1&4 (my favorite). Then they will charge at 750mA—a quicker charge and less chance of a missed termination—as opposed to 375mA. 750mA is still pretty conservative where 'loops are concerned.

With those cells (Duraloops as far as I can tell), you're probably better off using slot 1&2, 2&3, 3&4 or 1&4 (my favorite). Then they will charge at 750mA—a quicker charge and less chance of a missed termination—as opposed to 375mA. 750mA is still pretty conservative where 'loops are concerned.
    From What I understood, with AA/AAA size batteries, you want to use paired channels specifically to get the slower charging rate. At any rate, those are not my batteries. I simply reused the picture selfbuilt attached in the original post and just added the numbers. I am using this charger to charge 18650 batteries.

From What I understood, with AA/AAA size batteries, you want to use paired channels specifically to get the slower charging rate. At any rate, those are not my batteries. I simply reused the picture selfbuilt attached in the original post and just added the numbers. I am using this charger to charge 18650 batteries.
    It all depends on the cells used of course, but for 'loops it's fine. Some smaller Li-ion cells should be charged in paired slots though.

Enlightened

I have two Nitecore i4's, both of which pretty much give me the same results:

Charging only 2 18650's in either 1-3 or 2-4 slots: 4.210 / 4.217

Charging 4 18650's: 4.205 / 4.213 / 4.209 / 4.211

All seems pretty reasonable to me?

Batteries used at Keeppower 3400mAh (essentially Panasonic's), Testing was with a Fluke 116 RMS Multimeter.

Cheers

Edit: Fixed numbers
    Last edited by MR.355; 04-05-2014 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.355 View Post
    I have two Nitecore i4's, both of which pretty much give me the same results:

Charging only 2 18650's in either 1-3 or 2-4 slots: 4.210 / 4.217

Charging 4 18650's: 4.205 / 4.213 / 4.209 / 4.211

All seems pretty reasonable to me?

Batteries used at Keeppower 3400mAh (essentially Panasonic's), Testing was with a Fluke 116 RMS Multimeter.

Cheers

Edit: Fixed numbers
    I'm really confused, in the review it says, slots 1& 4 give full charge ~ 0.750ma per bay, not 1& 3?

Also what if i use 3x batteries?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast