Gearbest        
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    I'm really confused, in the review it says, slots 1& 4 give full charge ~ 0.750ma per bay, not 1& 3?
    Also what if i use 3x batteries?
    MR.355's results are just refering to the variation you can get across individual charging bays - it has nothing to do with which ones are paired.

On the original V2 charger reviewed here, bays 1&3 were paired (as were 2&4). But builds can change over time, so I recommend people time their own chargers to confirm which bay pairs take longer.

If you have 3 cells charging at once, two of them will be charged in paired wells (and thus take almost twice as long as the one that isn't).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore/Jetbeam i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparison

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    MR.355's results are just refering to the variation you can get across individual charging bays - it has nothing to do with which ones are paired.

On the original V2 charger reviewed here, bays 1&3 were paired (as were 2&4). But builds can change over time, so I recommend people time their own chargers to confirm which bay pairs take longer.

If you have 3 cells charging at once, two of them will be charged in paired wells (and thus take almost twice as long as the one that isn't).
    I'm glad this thread popped up, as I received a NC i4 v.2 (presumably) Monday and used it once charging up a 18650 in bay one, an AAA Eneloop Gen.2 in bay 3 and an AA Eneloop Gen.2 in bay 4.

I think that when charging up either 3, or 4 cells, I get a charging rate of 375mA and 1, or 2, I get the 750mA, so charging up only two AAAs isn't advisable.

Here's my question. You say that bays 1 and 3 are paired on that unit (I'll assume it is on mine) and 2 and 4 are paired.

My AAA in bay 3 finished first and the 18650 and AA were still charging in bay 1 and bay 4. I was wondering/worrying that if I took out the completely charged AAA from bay 3, would that action then bump the charger up into the 750mA rate, since there were now only 2 batteries charging in the charger, even though they were in unpaired bays 1 and 4?

If the machine can distinguish the required load between 1/2 cells and 3/4 cells, why would one the lone occupied bay be charging faster than the paired bays when three cells are charged?

I'd have to do some testing in various bays, but the instructions don't really mention any of this, except that the four bays are independent of one another for charging purposes.

How and why are they paired?

I know that for purposes of thermal protection, my LaCrosse BC-700's bays are paired 1-3 and 2-4, IIRC. If one bay gets too hot, it and its paired bay shuts down until things cool below the protection threshold temperature.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, S2+, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, XP1, MC1+, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post

Thanks, i got the v2, so afaik slots 1 & 4 for 2 batteries will give me full charge, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dazed1 View Post
    Thanks, i got the v2, so afaik slots 1 & 4 for 2 batteries will give me full charge, right?
    Yes, that will give you the full 750mA charging current, as will using any two adjoining slots (i.e.: 1+2, 2+3, 3+4).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGarrett View Post
    I was wondering/worrying that if I took out the completely charged AAA from bay 3, would that action then bump the charger up into the 750mA rate, since there were now only 2 batteries charging in the charger, even though they were in unpaired bays 1 and 4?
    What the charger actually does when two cells are charging in paired bays is that it alternately pauses the current going into each one. So for example, 1 sec on at 750mA, 1 sec off, 1 sec on, etc - with the opposite timed pattern in the paired bay. As soon as the charging is done in one bay, the paired bay will automatically run in constant charging without any pauses. It doesn't matter when you remove the cell.

The point is that the charger cannot charge all four bays simultaneously - there are only two charging channels, so it has to "share" one charging channel across two paired bays.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

I have to admit, I am dumber than a doughnut hole when it comes to chargers/batteries and the like. But after reading through the review by selfbuilt, and the adjoining comments, I made the decision to purchase the aforementioned charger. Thanks so much selfbuilt for all of your insight on flashlights, batteries, and chargers. I read all of your detailed reviews on products I have an interest in which of course helps in making a wise purchasing decision. Thanks much.

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

I bought the intellicharger i4 2nd gen last December. As of right now most of my house is running on NiMH, and I love it. I am now turning to li-ion for my HDS, and next light (whatever that my be). I was a jackass and bought some tenergy rcr123s, but they are the 3volt (playing the price is right loser music). Yesterday I ordered a set of aw IMR 16340s. Before I ordered these I went to nitcores site and alas there was the info for the 2014 i4 with text about being suitable for imr's. I email nitecore whether or not the 2nd version could charge imr's and no response. So here I am trolling through selfbuilts review (which is fantastic), and I read up on hjks site about the i4 being compatible for IMR.

I just got a email yesterday from nitecore saying that the 2nd gen is not able to charge IMR. Can anyone elaborate on this?
    Last edited by Gaffle; 09-10-2014 at 05:19 AM.
    "When Armageddon comes, it would be good to be an Olympic athlete, because running real fast and jumping over stuff could come in handy." -Jack Handey

Default Re: Sysmax/Nitecore i4 Intellicharger Review (V2): current/voltage comparisons

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffle View Post
    I bought the intellicharger i4 2nd gen last December. As of right now most of my house is running on NiMH, and I love it. I am now turning to li-ion for my HDS, and next light (whatever that my be). I was a jackass and bought some tenergy rcr123s, but they are the 3volt (playing the price is right loser music). Yesterday I ordered a set of aw IMR 16340s. Before I ordered these I went to nitcores site and alas there was the info for the 2014 i4 with text about being suitable for imr's. I email nitecore whether or not the 2nd version could charge imr's and no response. So here I am trolling through selfbuilts review (which is fantastic), and I read up on hjks site about the i4 being compatible for IMR.

I just got a email yesterday from nitecore saying that the 2nd gen is not able to charge IMR. Can anyone elaborate on this?
    A lot of people has used it for IMR without any problems, probably because the IMR has the same charge requirements as other LiIon batteries.
    My website with battery, charger, usb reviews, comparisons & information: https://lygte-info.dk/
    Latest addition is multimeter reviews

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these chargers but since I have 10000mA NiMH D cells to charge and it doesn't take D cells... could I use a D-AA adapter and charge it like that? How long would it take to to charge 4 of them?
    thanks

Enlightened

I am not sure what you are saying. D- cells are too large to fit into the charger. That is the only problem with D cells. How do you propose to solve that by using an adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by topcho View Post
    I am not sure what you are saying. D- cells are too large to fit into the charger. That is the only problem with D cells. How do you propose to solve that by using an adapter?
    Adapters exist that allow one to place a D-cell inside an external bay which connects to a sort of dummy AA battery exactly for this purpose. A Google search for d-cell maha should show some examples.
    I expect no problems with charging high quality D-cells in this charger, although some chargers do have a timer cut out when charging takes too long. I doubt that's the case here, since C-cells can also be charged.
    Last edited by oKtosiTe; 10-05-2014 at 06:25 AM.

Enlightened

It shouldn't be a problem then. The charger doesn't have a timer cutout.

Just repaired my I4 v2.
    The thing was it wouldn't charge 3rd channel. Blinks for a few, and says it's full, then turns off all leds on 3rd line.
    Opened, and re-soldered all 4 springs, - works fine now.

Nice job fixing that!

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    I expect to publish my review in the coming weekend.

To see the physical difference between V1 and V2 charger, check these comparison.
    Thank you for that. I had the same question as cactus man and those pictures helped enormously. Just wanted to show my appreciation for your hard work.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678