surefire rechargeable 123s

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire Lithium Phosphate?

I just read in the Surefire catalog that they are now offering SF branded Lithium Phosphate cells. I've tried searching around here about them and can't seem to find anything. Can anyone tell me anything about them? What do the experts here think?

Chongker

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire Lithium Phosphate?

Sounds interesting, I wonder what advantages the new chemistry offers. Higher voltage? Better capacity? Better load characteristics?

CheepSteal

Enlightened

I saw this on the recent catalog as well, aparantly the capacity is significantly less than the primaries (the catalog says half capacity of primaries). But they're rechargeable and i assume won't void your warranty!

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

They sound just about on par with the Tenergy LiFEP04 cells I am currently using in my A2. 3.0V 750mAh cells sounds like about like half the capacity of the 3.0V 1500mAh primaries. Plus the safer chemistry that doesn't require a protection circuit.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am curious do they offer or suggest a charger?

CheepSteal

Enlightened

I am curious do they offer or suggest a charger?
I think they will but we'll have to wait for them to update their website. A few items in the catalog aren't listed on the website yet like the 6PX Defender.
Someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong though.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got the new surefire catalog and seen these in there. Can anyone provide any more info than what's posted here? Are these to be a direct replacement for CR123's? In other words, could you run 2 of them in a p60 host and not instaflash the p60 or shorten the lifespan, hence a direct replacement for 2 CR123's?

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened

R2M34.jpg

It will be interesting to see how SureFire will solve the voltage problem with the lithium-phosphate batteries since LiFEP04 voltage is around 3.2V - 3.3V. I hope they will make the new rechargeable battery compatible with the P60 instead of a lame "Caution: Do Not Use with P60 Lamps" sticker.

My experience with the 2x Westinghouse LiFePo4 600 mAh AA in the SolarForce L2r P60 host was very short. Although the P60 output was awesome during the last 2 minutes of its life before going :poof:

Last edited:

Lightfoot98

Newly Enlightened

I thought I read somewhere that someone (mfg) was using a diode under pos cap to reduce output voltage under load, while letting it charge in conventional chargers.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would like to think that these will be able to replace the CR123's that I run in my incan's right now. I'm thinking surefire is releasing these to be a direct rechargeable replacement to their CR123's, and hopefully they will be able to be run in their incan lights with no issues, running factory supported rechargeables in surefire LED's doesn't excite me much, the possibility of having factory supported rechargeables for their incans, now that exciting.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doesn't seem to be much intrest in these so I will contact surefire and post back and let you guys know what they say.

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened

Anyone know if these are for real? I'm thinking of getting an E2E, but if I can't use rechargables in it, it would be out of the question due to battery costs.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just bought (pre-ordered) a dropin for the E2E in Custom. You could use a 17670 in there. :)

dstat

Newly Enlightened

In case anyone was wondering I contacted surefire and they said these are not out yet but they are planning to release them later this year (2012)

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

These should be out soon...SureFire is waiting on packaging for the kit, and then it will be available on their website. I got an unpackaged kit of these and will post some pictures tomorrow. They're made by K2 Energy and are 600mAh.

ToyTank

Enlightened

Interesting those pics have 2010 on them. I'll need to get a set I can never have enough batteries.

I have been using lifepo4 for years and I have yet to kill a cell even ones that have been ran down to <1V REPEATEDLY. IMHO Lithium iron phosphate is widely considered to be as safe and green as NIMH. 2 AW or tenergy IFR16340 give me a little over 30 minutes @ 1A.

If only we could squeeze a little more energy density out of the chemistry.

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was just browsing around and saw these surefire cells. I have a 47's quark single cell that sees a lot of use. I was originally going to get a pair of AW rechargable cells for it and a nano charger but saw this. How do they compare?