• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :-)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

Background:
I joined CPF since 09-28-2010. At the time I didn't know a thing about flashlight. I started my flashlight passion with Dealextreme and ebay. I spend all my money trying out everything I could afford at the time. The Cree XRE-Q5 was the brightest LED that I remembered at the time. Flashlight technology have greatly advances and I have learned a lot of things along the way. Up until now I have done quite a few mods. Of course I am no expert but I believe I know a little bit about the fundamentals on flashlight modding and repair. I have also handle quite a few flashlights both budget and high ends so I do have a little experience with different types of lights.

Thread Purpose:
I want to help answer all your modding or repair questions to the best of my knowledge. What I don't know I am sure others can fill in or provide an alternative/better solution(s).

Topic Examples:
- Where to buy parts
- What parts and equipment/instruments are needed
- Modding and repair techniques
- Tips and tricks

Disclaimer:
I honestly just want to help. I will not be responsible for any mishaps from my recommendation/suggestions.

If what I say is dangerous or wrong please let me know and I will correct myself. Thank you for understanding. Sometimes I might reply to a question slowly because I am kind of busy. I will also not respond to a question if someone eles answer it before me and I agree to it. My knowledge is very limited so I will not know everything! I will try my best to help with what I can. My English and grammar is obviously not great too...Thanks Again!

OK! Ask away!

Last edited:

Telman2

Newly Enlightened
Re: vinhnguyen54 Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :)

I would like to say something about this young man. I recently read one of his threads about some of the drop ins he makes. Reading about the parts, options and configurations made about as much sense to me as the directions for building a nuclear submarine. To me a driver is something you hit a golf ball with and watt is what I usually say when one of my grandchildren speak to me. I took a chance and wrote to Wayne, I explained that I didn't understand the options he was offering and described what I was trying to do. He promptly answered me, asked me a question or two and said he knew what I needed and told me how much it would cost. I took a chance and sent him the money, a couple of days latter I got a package in the mail with my new drop in. He made sure I understood how to install it and asked me to let him know how I liked it. I needed this light to do a specific job twice a day and it does, I couldn't be happier with it. I was so pleased that when I needed another purpose built light I again contacted Wayne, I told him the battery and host I wanted to use and he used his expertise to create exactly what I needed. Trust me, he is honest, knowledgeable and dependable.

Draven451

Enlightened
This is a great thread. Thank you for sharing of your time and knowledge for the benefit of our community.

I have been watching some of your threads and have been very tempted at placing an order.

So I have to ask. What is your current favorite light(s)? What do you edc? :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Telman2: Thanks!

Draven451: Here is a list of my most favorite all time flashlights

Most Favorite! Maelstrom X10: Ultra compact single 26650 with great run time and throw. Needs a driver and LED upgrade though. The original driver is under driven and the LEDs is horribly green. This is my go to light for most purpose when night fall. Excellent thrower for the size with a completely filled hot spot. Oh and its onyl $62 from goinggear! Too bad it doesn't tail stand and have a clicky :-(

ITP A3 Stainless Steel: This is on my keychain so it is my EDC. I picked it over a Revo or other light simply because it works, surable, and it's cheap.

Excellent Thrower: An M3X XML with a pure white LED swapped. There are much cheaper alternatives for this light with identical performance which can be put together for about. can even be use in single 18650 form too. $50

Spark SD6 Headlamp modded with a Warm XML. 100% pure flood with an easy on the eye tint for work.

There are ton of other lights which I use and love very much too but these are just the ones I somehow end up going for most

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I've purchased six P60 dropins and a modded Crelant 7G5 V2 from our friend Wayne. He has always been very helpful. He can do some serious damage to your wallet though. :) I just can't help myself. Great products, great customer service, and not only THE BEST value as far as p60 lumens per dollar goes, but the best period. Wayne can rest easy knowing that he will have my buisiness for as long as he keeps offering his services to us.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I've purchased six P60 dropins and a modded Crelant 7G5 V2 from our friend Wayne. He has always been very helpful. He can do some serious damage to your wallet though. :) I just can't help myself. Great products, great customer service, and not only THE BEST value as far as p60 lumens per dollar goes, but the best period. Wayne can rest easy knowing that he will have my buisiness for as long as he keeps offering his services to us.

Wow...U made me blush like a girl! LOL Thanks! :)

JNieporte

Enlightened

Another thumbs up for Vinh (Wayne). He doesn't know it yet, but I'm about to spend more money on his mods.

I do have a question: what's your favorite single AA / 14500 light?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Another thumbs up for Vinh (Wayne). He doesn't know it yet, but I'm about to spend more money on his mods.

I do have a question: what's your favorite single AA / 14500 light?

Zebralight SC51W...Small Cute Bright Efficent Crazy Bright on 1.5V :)

scottyhazzard

Enlightened

I have a JetBeam Pro 1 V3 that I have been contemplating modifying. It throws pretty good and the color is fairly neutral but it is not Nichia neutral. Do you think it would be possible to modify with a nichia without 1, changing the UI, 2, decreasing the throw? Do you think that you could do it?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I have a JetBeam Pro 1 V3 that I have been contemplating modifying. It throws pretty good and the color is fairly neutral but it is not Nichia neutral. Do you think it would be possible to modify with a nichia without 1, changing the UI, 2, decreasing the throw? Do you think that you could do it?

Modify with nichia? I think so

Why do you want to change the UI?

I think throw will go down if what you have in there right now is an XRE.

I can do it if you want.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened

Hmm, losing any throw on this one would be a disappointment- the throw is a big part of the charm for me. I'll have to find another host that needs a drop-in so I can order a nichia. Thanks for the info.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, losing any throw on this one would be a disappointment- the throw is a big part of the charm for me. I'll have to find another host that needs a drop-in so I can order a nichia. Thanks for the info.

The XRE is just such a beast of a throw LED...Hard to imagine the nichia which
appear to be similar to the XPG would have a chance.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I saw you just sold a modded RRT-3, did you do a write up on the mod? If not how hard is it and was the XM-L fine with the original driver? TIA.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I saw you just sold a modded RRT-3, did you do a write up on the mod? If not how hard is it and was the XM-L fine with the original driver? TIA.

Modding this light is not as straight forward as other lights. The SST-50 sits on a PCB and was raise high enough into the reflector. This was not the case with the XML on a 20mm board. Basically you will need to sit the XML 20mm board on another 20mm board. You may thermal epoxy two boards together to acquire this height. Centering the LED is also a bit tricky as the reflector hole is large. You might want to use the reflector and the bezel to hold down the LED to dry in place. Do this before soldering the lead wires so everything is leveled. The original Driver pushes the XML to about 4A. Which I think is ideal! I never do any write up on my mods but I certainly can help you as you go along. Things makes more sense as soon as you start to take it apart. remember to store the reflector in a clean ziploc bag so it could stay clean. They are very easily contaminated.

VIET PRIDE BULLIES

Newly Enlightened

Hi Vinh,
My name is Chinh Nguyen, located in Vietnam. I'm new to this forum and didn't know the name Wayne was a Vietnamese.
Just wondering, what is your website? I'm looking to do some research to get a big gun.
Thanks!

Draven451

Enlightened

vinhnguyen,

Thank you for answer. Sounds like you have some nice lights that you use!

I have another question - Recently I have gotten into "thrower" type lights and currently own a deft edc lr+ and a dereelight dbs-t XR-E R2 EZ900 aspherical driven to 1.5 amp. Both are amazing lights!

Last weekend I was able to play around with a lux meter. I failed to get the brand name of this meter. It was cool to be able to determine the lux of these lights!

What lux meter(s) would you recommend to purchase? What are important features to look for? Any models/brands to avoid?

I notice there is a bunch online that have a cheap price but my concern is that these will not be very accurate. I know like with flashlights you can find a budget model that still performs well and gives good results.

How do you setup to use the meter to get best results?

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Hi Vinh,
My name is Chinh Nguyen, located in Vietnam. I'm new to this forum and didn't know the name Wayne was a Vietnamese.
Just wondering, what is your website? I'm looking to do some research to get a big gun.
Thanks!

When you say gun I am assuming you you mean a big flashlight? I know guns are strictly prohibited in Vietnam. Anyhow, you can email me at [email protected] and I will help with whatever I can. Thanks!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

I know very little about light meters. But you really don't need a very "accurate" meter. Most cheap meters consistently read a little high or low but they are still consistent. Which for the purpose of ceiling bounce and rough 1 meter Lux calculations it should be sufficient. At the very least a cheap light meter will be able to tell you the relative brightness between your lights. A premium light meter should be chosen to be use in an integrating sphere though. So IMO, Unless you are making an integrating sphere to determine exact lumen output go ahead and buy any light meter that cost around $25 because it will be accurate enough for your relative readings. Even some LED and flashlight companies onyl report relative lux readings instead of exact lumen for their graphs.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

How I stack 7135 Chips:

1) Clip off the middle leg as you don't need it
2) bend the outer legs to curve downward
3) Dip the two small legs and the rear leg into flux.
4) Add heated solder to the legs.
5) Add heated solder to the same three legs on the chip mounted on the board
6) Now stack them on top of each other and solder the large rear leg first. The solder should just melt in.
7) Solder the two front side legs. If the solder won't flow add a thin copper wire to create a solder flow path.

DSC04258.jpg

DSC04255.jpg

DSC04256.jpg

Last edited:

Hi vinhnguyen54

I'm a noob and have some Q's about AA batteries. A friend asked me to build him a flood light with his 4D m*g. I was thinking to use an 18v metal plate emmitter from DX and run it on 12AA's. I was thinking I could run it direct drive since AA's put out 1.5A's but when I did a quick test with a multimeter the amps were up over 6A. I don't understand why I got that reading?

So my question is will the amps droop back to ~2A or will I need a driver?

Separate light but still on AA's. I have a 76 shower head that I modded with an XRE, aspherical and 1A driver. It uses 4x AA's. The batteries are run down a little so I removed the driver for direct drive and am getting about 2A to the led. I realize a good thermal path is imperative but will a fresh set of AA's blow the led on direct drive?

Thanks in advance.