Klarus
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :-)

Default Re: vinhnguyen54 Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :-)

Thanks Vinh...

I'm doubting between 3A driven custom Triple XPG R5 or 4.5A...
    3A will give me little over 800 lumens where with 4.5A will reach magic number of 1000 lumens OTF... the lumens difference to our eyes is hardly noticeable but heat buildup would be tremendous so still deciding... :-)
    Last edited by Tana; 05-09-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    When you say gun I am assuming you you mean a big flashlight? I know guns are strictly prohibited in Vietnam. Anyhow, you can email me at seattlecraigslist.com@gmail.com and I will help with whatever I can. Thanks!
    Thanks Vinh,
    Yes what I meant was big flashlight with high lumen out put

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by VIET PRIDE BULLIES View Post
    Thanks Vinh,
    Yes what I meant was big flashlight with high lumen out put
    The light doesn't have to be big for high lumen output really. The head can be bigger to help maximize the THROW of those lumens, etc....but the lumens themselves are mostly emitted by the wee LED itself. The rest of the light just helps to send them where needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    The light doesn't have to be big for high lumen output really. The head can be bigger to help maximize the THROW of those lumens, etc....but the lumens themselves are mostly emitted by the wee LED itself. The rest of the light just helps to send them where needed.

And dissipate the great amount of heat!

*Flashaholic*

LOL

I wonder at what point a small fan blowing across the pill, or a wee freon system, etc, would work better than a mass of conductive metal?

LOL

I wonder at what point a small fan blowing across the pill, or a wee freon system, etc, would work better than a mass of conductive metal?

Liquid cool I tell yah!

*Flashaholic*

That WOULD be sweet!

It would require a radiator though....the liquid could carry the heat away from the pill, etc...but it still has to leave the system somehow.

I'm thinking that if I need plumbing and a pump and a radiator...maybe active air-cooled would be more efficient/lighter overall?

Hi Vin,

Could you walk me through step by step on how to dedome my SR90. Although it sounds relatively easy, I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and not screw up my new purchase. Also, if I want the ultimate LED thrower, is it really worth it to dedome my SR90? I don't want to make it a DEFT like beam as I would like to retain some spill/area lighting.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Air cool like a tiny fan would be easy to do. :-)

That WOULD be sweet!

It would require a radiator though....the liquid could carry the heat away from the pill, etc...but it still has to leave the system somehow.

I'm thinking that if I need plumbing and a pump and a radiator...maybe active air-cooled would be more efficient/lighter overall?

The instruction I gave above is pretty much it. Not much eles I can add. you will still have spill but its just a dimmer. The biggest change would be a neutral tint and a brighter hotspot. If you like cool white then don't mess with the dome. I would dedome if I was you because I love THROW! Too bad the tint shift to a less desirable tint though. Try it! if you dot like it then buy another LED. Its just $30.

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    Hi Vin,

Could you walk me through step by step on how to dedome my SR90. Although it sounds relatively easy, I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and not screw up my new purchase. Also, if I want the ultimate LED thrower, is it really worth it to dedome my SR90? I don't want to make it a DEFT like beam as I would like to retain some spill/area lighting.

Thanks in advance,
    Dan

I must have overlooked it then because I can find no such instruction. Just bits and pieces of what others have said. Could u give me a link to your instructions? I've read others say to be careful not to pull out any wires or touch the underlying LED. I'm sure its prob a simple task. I just want to do it correctly as I have no intentions of having to replace my LED.

Thanks much,
    Dan

The instruction I gave above is pretty much it. Not much eles I can add. you will still have spill but its just a dimmer. The biggest change would be a neutral tint and a brighter hotspot. If you like cool white then don't mess with the dome. I would dedome if I was you because I love THROW! Too bad the tint shift to a less desirable tint though. Try it! if you dot like it then buy another LED. Its just $30.
    For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (Ephesians 5:8 NIV)

Sorry I am being crazy! Post number 5

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...p-SR91-De-Dome

Quote Originally Posted by djans1397 View Post
    I must have overlooked it then because I can find no such instruction. Just bits and pieces of what others have said. Could u give me a link to your instructions? I've read others say to be careful not to pull out any wires or touch the underlying LED. I'm sure its prob a simple task. I just want to do it correctly as I have no intentions of having to replace my LED.

Thanks much,
    Dan

NM. I found the thread that explains it. I guess I was expecting something more complicated.

*Flashaholic*

Air cool like a tiny fan would be easy to do. :-)
    I guess it would have to blow through external fins though, use heat pipes, etc...if it was to have good water resistance....

LOL

Maybe take the Olight MX6 form factor, but have a refrigerator/condenser/coil module on the belt instead of or in addition to, a battery.

Anti-freeze / Anti-boil / liquid cooling in a handheld light.. It could be done! Something like a mega illuminator would have the case size to handle it.
    +(INTEL cooling kit) Wayne could do it . +1 for his lights / mods.
    Last edited by lightknot; 05-14-2012 at 11:55 AM.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by lightknot View Post
    Anti-freeze / Anti-boil / liquid cooling in a handheld light.. It could be done! Something like a mega illuminator would have the case size to handle it.
    Wayne could do it . +1 for his lights / mods.
    LOL

Now to scale it down for a pocket light.

I am excited for the TN31!

*Flashaholic*

I am excited for the TN31!
    Unless they severely understated the lux, I don't see how they will get 700 meters of throw though. (Unless I screwed up the math for 75,000 lux)

Even so, 500-600 meters is STILL pretty impressive if they can get it in that sized light.

How I stack 7135 Chips:

1) Clip off the middle leg as you don't need it
    2) bend the outer legs to curve downward
    3) Dip the two small legs and the rear leg into flux.
    4) Add heated solder to the legs.
    5) Add heated solder to the same three legs on the chip mounted on the board
    6) Now stack them on top of each other and solder the large rear leg first. The solder should just melt in.
    7) Solder the two front side legs. If the solder won't flow add a thin copper wire to create a solder flow path.

[IMG]http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vinhnguyen54/DSC04258.jpg[/IG]
    [IMG]http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vinhnguyen54/DSC04255.jpg[/IG]
    [IMG]http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac323/vinhnguyen54/DSC04256.jpg[/IG]
    what does chip stacking for flashlight drivers do?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Each additional chip that is added is 380(?)mah of additional regulated current capacity to the driver .

Wayne , what is a good supplier of empty p-60 drop ins ? I want to experiment with different reflectors & whatnot .

Thanks .

Bud
    Last edited by BudK; 05-14-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    Nullum beneficium est impunitum.

I would like to know about removing chips from drivers.

What is the best or easiest way to do it?

Once the chip is off do you have to do anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    what does chip stacking for flashlight drivers do?
    Increase current draw for greater output

kaidomain in china or illuminationshupply in USA

Quote Originally Posted by BudK View Post
    Each additional chip that is added is 380(?)mah of additional regulated current capacity to the driver .

Wayne , what is a good supplier of empty p-60 drop ins ? I want to experiment with different reflectors & whatnot .

Thanks .

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by doctor ladd View Post
    I would like to know about removing chips from drivers.

What is the best or easiest way to do it?

Once the chip is off do you have to do anything else?

To remove a bunch of chips at once use a heat gun. Use a solder iron for one at a time.

Hi vinhnguyen54,

I just saw your mod with your TK41, and I was thinking you could help me as well for my fenix.
    Basically I have a Fenix TK21, that I use with a redilast 2800mh. This light is great, but the turbo mode seems to be low compared to some cheap lights. I think my 18650 redilast is not the issue, as it should be a good battery.

So I would like to mod this light, but I can't find the way to open it, everything seems to be glued in the head, I can't even differentiate the different parts.
    I try to heat the head with a hair dryer, but it didnt work. I am scared to damage the HAIII if I heat it with something stronger.

Do you have any idea ?
    After that I guess it will be another challenge to mod the fenix-specific driver

It is very very hard to damage the HAIII with heat. Just heat the crap out of it! I use a heat gun so it's much hotter than a Hair Dryer! Anyway. Heat it up and use blue garden rubber gloves to twist. You might even need a vise for very stubborn lights. let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackhawkB View Post
    Hi vinhnguyen54,

I just saw your mod with your TK41, and I was thinking you could help me as well for my fenix.
    Basically I have a Fenix TK21, that I use with a redilast 2800mh. This light is great, but the turbo mode seems to be low compared to some cheap lights. I think my 18650 redilast is not the issue, as it should be a good battery.

So I would like to mod this light, but I can't find the way to open it, everything seems to be glued in the head, I can't even differentiate the different parts.
    I try to heat the head with a hair dryer, but it didnt work. I am scared to damage the HAIII if I heat it with something stronger.

Do you have any idea ?
    After that I guess it will be another challenge to mod the fenix-specific driver

Hi Vin!

How about emitter swap in my Surefire Saint Minimus? Would you dare to try it? I have a few modding experiences (i replaced emitter in LX2 and L1), but minimus is entirely different beast

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    Hi Vin!

How about emitter swap in my Surefire Saint Minimus? Would you dare to try it? I have a few modding experiences (i replaced emitter in LX2 and L1), but minimus is entirely different beast
    I dare try everything! Doesn't mean I can do it though :-)

Well, do you think you could do it?

Quote Originally Posted by pulstar View Post
    Well, do you think you could do it?
    Vinh Nguyen
    9706 8th PL SW Unit 204
    Seattle WA 98106

Send it to me. If I can't mod it I wont charge a penny.