Fauxton / Photon Swappability?

JNieporte

Enlightened
I have a few of the fauxton lights from Battery Junction and Light Hound. Some have red, blue, or green LEDs. I want to replace the white LED in my Photon Freedom with one of these colored ones. Does the bulb just drop in, or is soldering required? Will the new, colored LED retain the dimming and modes of the Freedom?

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Freedom is direct drive with a PWM dimming circuit, so you'll have to be aware of the Vf of each color LED in order to match them with appropriate Vbatt. For example, a blue runs the same voltage requirements as white, so it'll be fine with two 2016's considering voltage sag. Red, however, only needs somewhere around 2V, so it'll be seriously overdriven, and possibly (probably) burn up. In that case, try it with a single 2032. Dimming and modes should operate properly regardless. (EDIT: unless the circuitry requires a nominal minimum voltage... almost forgot about that.)

It's been a while since I transplanted a GS in my Freedom, and I temporarily can't find the thing in order to double check, but I believe it had to be soldered. It's an easy job though. You'll probably need some solder wick in order to open up the holes where the legs attach to the PCB.

Let us know if you have any further questions, and happy modding!

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think the first thing to consider would be the voltage required by the white LED. Without considering all of the physical details, changing out a blue or green LED for a white one should be pretty straight forward but red LEDs typically run on about half the voltage of the others.

Bimmerboy, you beat me. The 2032 is a great idea!

YoSeKi

Newly Enlightened
You might want to check to see if the LED from the fauxton will actually fit the Photon Freedom. IIRC Nichia LED cases are slightly conical and the cases of the LEDs usually used in fauxtons are cylindrical, so the tip of the Nichia are narrower. If the LED opening on the Photon Freedom is molded to fit the Nichia LED, it might be a bit narrow for the fauxton LED.

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I want to replace the white LED in my Photon Freedom with one of these colored ones. Does the bulb just drop in, or is soldering required? Will the new, colored LED retain the dimming and modes of the Freedom?
To save me copy+ pasting, here is a quick guide I wrote over at the Photon light discussion board:

http://forum.photonlight.com/proton-pro-led-blinks-once-each-time-i-turn-off-the-light-vt1976.html

No soldering needed, but bending the legs of the LED will be a bit fiddly. The dimming modes should be OK as long as the light doesn't get stuck in the "on" mode when you first put the battery in (happens sometimes with CR2032s).