Help with Mag 4D and Rechargable

Bael

Newly Enlightened
Help with Mag 4D and Rechargeable

Hello, Firstly I apologize for asking a question that has probably been asked a million times. Unfortunately when I search for topics I never seem come up with anything that will help.

I have a 4D and also a Rechargeable Maglite. I have found that neither are all that good for the work I am now doing. I need to be able to spotlight the far reaches of abandoned warehouses and large open tracts of land but also be able to easily carry the torch and still use it for defense if needed (The rechargeable's globes are very sad). Unfortunately I have two hams for hands so cannot do the fiddly electronic stuff

Ok now for the Questions.
I would like to know if anyone has any ideas of mods and if I can have someone competent do all the fiddly stuff. I can fit and do the rest. I would like to keep the adjustable light feature present on the Mag but ultimately will be satisfied with high penetration.

Well thats about it, thanks in advance for anyone who answers (PS I'm in Australia)

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiger light, no questions asked... 8" FBOP version (I stil don't know what FBOP means) Not brite enuff? What's briter than a tiger lite? 2 (!) tiger lites of cos, they are small, oh yeah, they are brite (seriously brite) they are rechargable... (I think 24 hours... don't know if they have a quick charger).... you can't go wrong with a Tiger light. And BTW b4 you ask, I don't get paid by them....

kalengkong

Newly Enlightened
hi, glad to see someone in Australia as well!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

well... for me, if you are looking for those 'throw-far' lights,
you better get those spotlight (with 1 or 2 million candlepower)
you can easily found at many electronic store in here. about 40-60 bucks.

erm.. for the mods, i dont know for sure,

Bael

Newly Enlightened
They sound ok but probably real expensive in oz and thats only if there available here as well, won't do any good ordering over the net as we have 240v power. Also it may be too small for what I need as I rest the light on my shoulder because there are a lot of places to get jumped on here. Also Would need to have it charged in less than twelve hours (preferably max of 9)
But thanks for the tip anyhow

Bael

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is good to see another Australian. I have thought of buying one of those spots you mentioned but it's hard to "bop" miscreants on the head when needed

TigerLight Pro

Newly Enlightened
TIgerLight Charges in 10 hrs. In australia you are probably not allowed to use the less lethal series of the TL unless LEO.

We have conversion for australia. Australian have used TigerLights for night maneuvers and sea recovery.

Bael

Newly Enlightened
Yes I have to admit that the TigerLight does sound very good. And you are right only LEO's can use the less lethal series here. But while I would like one of the FBOP series I am sure that it will prove too expensive, that and it seems a little short for shoulder use, I currently use my Mag like this so that if anyone is hiding at my side and tries to strive me I can use it to block the assailant. However if they were up to $200 here I mab be tempted to buy one come tax time.

Size15's

Flashaholic
FBOP = Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe

It is a tea classification:
Broken Orange Pekoe (B.O.P.) - Black tea comprising smaller leaves and broken segments with some tips, harvested by the fine plucking method. When an abundance of tips is included, the grade becomes F.B.O.P. (Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe).

Quite what this has to do with flashlights I'm not certain.

Al

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Size15s:
FBOP = Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe

It is a tea classification:
Broken Orange Pekoe (B.O.P.) - Black tea comprising smaller leaves and broken segments with some tips, harvested by the fine plucking method. When an abundance of tips is included, the grade becomes F.B.O.P. (Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe).

Quite what this has to do with flashlights I'm not certain.

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And all this time I thought it stood for Federal Bureau Of Prisons.

How silly of me
twak.gif

winkie.GIF

GeorgeB

Newly Enlightened
Bael,

Do you have the latest bulb for your Magcharger? The new light bulb brings it up to 40000CP. That would be the least expensive route. Sounds like you might could use an Ultra Stinger to fit your needs. Do you have a 12 Volt power supply that runs on 240 Volt? If so, you can use the car charger to do the recharging. It is a shame you can't use the 11 inch Tiger Light, it sounds like the perfect tool for the job!

Good luck with whatever you choose.
George

Bael

Newly Enlightened
Firstly let me say thanks for all the input, I do appreciate it.The problem here is availability (we just don't have the range you Americans have, and its even worse away from the Eastern States) and cost, the Magcharger retails for $350-$400 Aussie dollars (Luckily I bought mine for $200 a couple of years back)and SureFire 9AN goes for around for roughly $650, unfortunatly could not find any pricing on the TigerLight or Ultra Stiger lights. I cannot justify that sort of money with a new family. I also have the problem that the Magcharger replacement bulbs cost $22 a pop which gets real expensive when they blow every few weeks from normal night use. They just can't handle the constant shock of driving over rail lines or climbing over rail stock, one bump and say goodnight. Then I have to search for someone who has the globes in stock for the next night, For a torch that price I expected a little more. I also have trouble with the smaller lights as when your miles from anyone at a rail depot and it's pitch black it is my only defence. And we constantly come across groups of young offenders either painting grain hoppers or vandalising buildings.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you need lambda's cyclops drop in..

Sounds like you need 2 6AA battery holder in parrallel.

Sounds like a lot of money is going to be spent if you go the LED route.

Bael

Newly Enlightened
Where and how do I geet A drop in Luxeon drop in or one of Lambda's Cyclops drop in's

Bael

Newly Enlightened
No but currently using the Magcharger battery and one energiser D, had the wrong globe in thier for a while and it was real bright but globe only lasted a couple of days, now I cant remember what was in there. I also don't know much about batteries are the ones you are talking about rechargable? The torch runs for around an hour every night sometimes a little more so battery life is an issue, Are thier any mods I can do to the head of the magcharger as in changing to a bright LED?

Bael

Newly Enlightened
Are there subliminal messages on these forums? Now I am considering the Tigerlite as well as mods to my Magcharger. Before I posted here I was adamant I would only Mod what I allready had, now the more I come here the more I wan't a new torch

TOB9595

Enlightened
The new torch should definitely be a Tigerlight. A beautiful light
smile.gif
piece of wonderment. Charges in 10 hours Bulb lasts a good long time, >200 hours. Light lasts for 1hour full light before recharging.
Great pricing and service from Tacticalwarehouse.com

A00079 a real tea drinker? not one to bag I hope. Lapsong Suchong among my favorites. For a real Jolt roasted Yerba Mata. Both delicious.