In your 123/18650 lights, do you prefer 123's, 18650's, or rechargeable RCR123's?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont yet own a FL that runs on more than 1-123, so I dont yet have the option of using an 18650. I could buy RCR123's, but so far I just buy inexpensive 123's from batteryjunction for $1 - $1.45 apiece, and they last a good while. But I'm considering which 18650 light to buy now, while flip-flopping on whether to buy a Sunwayman Ti+ first. There are too many choices, not too much money.

I'll probably buy the 18650 light first, and I'll have several battery options then. I could keep buying 123's, or buy an 18650 charger and batteries, or buy RCR123's and a charger. I'll need to make a choice of which to get and use. I will always have 123's lying around, so that'll probably be the back-up option.

Which batteries do you run your 18650/123 flashlights on mostly? Can you list the advantages of 18650' vs. RCR123's? Will most of these lights also handle 16340's?

Taschenlampe Dude

Newly Enlightened
In lights which I use frequently, I generally use 18650's but for lights which are set aside and only used for emergencies, I prefer 123's.

Evltcat

Newly Enlightened
I dont yet own a FL that runs on more than 1-123, so I dont yet have the option of using an 18650. I could buy RCR123's, but so far I just buy inexpensive 123's from batteryjunction for $1 - $1.45 apiece, and they last a good while. But I'm considering which 18650 light to buy now, while flip-flopping on whether to buy a Sunwayman Ti+ first. There are too many choices, not too much money.

I'll probably buy the 18650 light first, and I'll have several battery options then. I could keep buying 123's, or buy an 18650 charger and batteries, or buy RCR123's and a charger. I'll need to make a choice of which to get and use. I will always have 123's lying around, so that'll probably be the back-up option.

Which batteries do you run your 18650/123 flashlights on mostly? Can you list the advantages of 18650' vs. RCR123's? Will most of these lights also handle 16340's?

It also comes down to not having to carry multiple power sources for me. In my case, I have NV gear, illuminators, lasers, and red-dot sights that use 123's so I use RCR123 in all my gear and lights.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Probably obvious, but make sure to understand the very different voltages among those cells and combos you list above ... ie, just because they "fit" doesn't mean it's necessarily safe ( from :poof: )

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The light they'll be in matters a lot as to what makes sense, in addition to if OTF Lumens, or runtime, are your priorities.

A good example is the Klarus XT11, on RCR123's, it a LOT brighter, even on step down, TurboBB measured ~ 850 L OTF.

On 18650's, its stepped down to more like 500 L, with a turbo max of ~ 600 L as spec...for an 18650

I get a few hours on 18650s, and ~ 1/2 hr or so on RCR123's....so I can burn short and bright like fireworks...or long and less bright like a camp fire.

For the Surefire Fury, the light is ~ the same brightness on primary or rechargeable 123's, despite the added V of the RCR's but runs longer on the primaries as they have higher mAh. The light is regulated so as to give the same output regardless of the v in that range.

The Klarus XT11 is not regulated to limit brightness, and the added voltage allows a lot more light output...but the RCR's now provide LESS mAh than the 18650.

So the XT11 18650 makes sense for runtime, and the RCR123's make sense for more OTF.

For the Fury, RCR's make no difference in performance, have a lower runtime, but, save a FORTUNE on buying an endless supply of primaries to use the light.

:D

So, the answer is "It depends".

:D

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
18650 with primary 123's for backup if a light is being carried.
Almost all lights are kept with primary 123's in them the rest of the time, especially emergency fallback lights.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also comes down to not having to carry multiple power sources for me. In my case, I have NV gear, illuminators, lasers, and red-dot sights that use 123's so I use RCR123 in all my gear and lights.

Unfortunately, my stuff isnt all consistently powered by the same batteries. My lasers are powered by AAA's or AA's. My red dot is powered by a large flat battery, my 3 LED flashlights are powered by 123's, AA's, and AAA's. I guess one way to look at this would be that I can always find batteries that will run at least something that I own! I dont have NV ge3ar, because I had bionic eyes installed a few years ago, and I got the NV option with them....

Evltcat

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, my stuff isnt all consistently powered by the same batteries. My lasers are powered by AAA's or AA's. My red dot is powered by a large flat battery, my 3 LED flashlights are powered by 123's, AA's, and AAA's. I guess one way to look at this would be that I can always find batteries that will run at least something that I own! I dont have NV ge3ar, because I had bionic eyes installed a few years ago, and I got the NV option with them....

Well, you can try for your most important gear to be on the same cells. I have the AA extenders for my Suwwayman lights so they can use them too in a pinch.
I'm jealous! I sooo need Bionic Eyes!!! :huh:

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
18650s.

It's safer to use a single-cell than have multiple cells in series. I'd hate for one cell to run down faster than the other and reverse charge and go boom!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Agree with Fireclaw18, after reading some of the stories about venting, I decided to run applicable lights with 1x18650 instead of 2xRCR123. Also, runtime increases on majority of my lights when using 1x18650. There are some lights / dropins that may benefit from the extra voltage but I don't particularly need that and prefer the extra runtime instead. Also, I fine it easier to carry around a couple of spare 18650's in tubes than a bunch of RCR123's even thought I have SF spares carriers. I only use primary 123's as backup.

davyro

Enlightened
I use 123 rechargeables mostly but if i use one of my bigger lights that don't need 6V i'll use 18650 rechargeables & i've always got spares fully charged as everytime i by a light i order double the batteries needed so i've always got a spare.

380long

Newly Enlightened
18650's are the choice for me unless it's a car flashlight that will sitting in hot & cold weather then I use the CR123.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know some lights prefer 2 RCRS, I like a single 18650 with the ability to run CR123s or RCRs.

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened
I like 18650's for use lights, and CR123's for harsh environment (car) and emergency lights/backup batteries. keeping a dozen 123's around is cheap and they have a very long shelf light. I have been in several extended blackouts, and narrowly missed a few (last year was rough weather wise here, blackouts extended to nearly a week on several occasions). In that situation its nice to have a reserve of primary cells since they hold a charge in storage better than rechargeables.

For regular use I can't bring myself to use primary cells, even if they are inexpensive, I see little dollars shooting out the front of my lights when i turn them on. Can't explain it.

-- Adam

snakyjake

Enlightened
I'm running two CR123's because I don't like my lights to blackout without warning when they are spent, and left in the dark.
If I ran rechargeables I would never run 2xRCR123, I'd do 18650 for safety reasons, or I'd use LiPO4.

spc smith

Enlightened
HighLanderNorth,

As a general rule of thumb, single cell usage is more safe than doubled up cell usage. Like all other seasoned CPFer's have stated, primaries ie CR123's are better held up in terms of durability to weapon recoil and adverse weather, environmental conditions. General to moderate times of usage without the emergency or tactical, combat required X factor, the 18650 lithium ion rechargeable batteries is better suited everyday.

SPC smith

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
After reading some of the horror stories about exploding lights as a result of multiple cells with differing capacity, I made a vow to only use single cell lights. For edc use, I go for single 123 cells and now the 18350 for my new JetBeam lights. I do have a couple 18650 cells for my 18650 Zebralight flood and really want to get a thrower that uses the 18650 cell (that is my next light to research & add to the collection).

GreySave

Enlightened
For lights that I use around the house regularly, on walks, and for EDC under normal conditions I use primarily 18650s. Now for Team activations, such as those which are likely over the next 48 hours due to a surprise late season snow storm, I will go to 123A primaries. That way if I have to change batteries in the field I do not have to worry so much about where that 18650 is, plus I know that the lights all have fresh cells that do not need to be topped off.