Cree XP-G 3000k 90+ CRI vs Nichia 219 4500k 92 CRI: which one do you prefer and why?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
At this point, every light I use has the 7A3 90 CRI XP-G. I love this emitter, it gives the same light as an incan with all the benefits of LED.

I will eventually try the nichia to compare, but oh how I love the XP-G!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two most used lights:
KAVElight (p60 headlamp host)
2.8a dual hiCRI XPG + 3.5a 4C XML

HiCRI Quark mini123 on 16430 ;)

I really like the XPG but prefer something in the 5B-ish tint.
3000K is a little warm for me.

I do wonder if the flux is higher on the 219? -might be seeing as the XPG hiCRI is Q-something yah?

Also, the viewing angle looks SLIGHTLY narrower on the 219 right?

geisto

Newly Enlightened
I prefer the 219...high CRI, more lumens, and neutral tint.

Lux-RC

Banned
I'm wondering if anyone can compare these two @ the same currents in a sphere?

just tested today, I got a few different tiples

all.jpg

so the most interesting ones (all LED's are tested at 1.5A constant current):

#1. THE KEY TRIPLE (100%). I have a not calibrated sphere so all measurements are made relative to the key triple which is CREE R5 (cool white, >139lm @350mA).
The total power consumed is 8.5V * 1.82A = 15.47 watts (including the regulator losses).

xp-g-r5.jpg

#2. Outdoor CREE XP-G R4 (about CCT 4500K, >130 lumens @350mA).
The total power consumed is 8.5V * 1.8A = 15.3 watts (including the regulator losses).
The flux is just 10% less vs R5 flux bin (it's very close to the datasheet)

xp-g-R4.jpg

#4. It's an off-topic here but it's a very good neutral-color perfomer. Samsung 3535 5000K.
The flux is the same as CREE R5 but again, it's not cool, it's a neutral LED which normally perform less.
The overal efficacy is not as good as CREE's, the triple consumes 2 watts more due to higher Vf.
The total power consumed is 8.5V * 2.03A = 17.26 watts (including the regulator losses).

sam3535.jpg

so let's see now some Nichia's :)

#5. CCT 5000K Nichia from LedRise.com (sorry but I lost it's full specs). It's not Hi-CRI but the color tint is beautiful.
So it's almost as bright as R5 CREE (94%), but can't beat CREE in power efficacy due to a higher Vf voltage.
The total power consumed is 8.5V * 2.11A = 17.94 watts (including the regulator losses).

219-5000K.jpg

#6. And the last but not the least Nichia Hi-CRI. It's the highest B10 flux bin, the lowest Vf (L bin), neutral color (SW45), very high color rendering index (Ra 92).
So we can see a drastic flux loss (74% vs R5), the price paid for a quality light. The total consumed power exceeds CREE's triple making CREE still the best in terms of total efficiency (The total power consumed is 8.5V * 2.03A = 17.26 watts)

219-ra92.jpg

PS waiting when the rain will stop to make some beamshots in the trees

Last edited:

Roger Bannister

Newly Enlightened
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Hey Lux, where did you buy your triples from? Might have to pick some up myself.

Thanks,

Roger

wquiles

Flashaholic
You can buy single 219 LED's and triple 219 LEDs from Illumination Supply - he has a link for "Nichia LED's" where he lists all of the options.

Will

mrradlos

Newly Enlightened
just tested today, I got a few different tiples

PS waiting when the rain will stop to make some beamshots in the trees

Now, stop that rain!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for sharing!

Can you really run the Nichia 219 334 engines in regulation from a single 18650?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for doing & posting these tests!

I'd love to see the HiCRI XP-G tested as well if possible.

I'm guessing it's closer in flux to the 219hiCRI.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
When looked at without any other LED light source for comparison, I think the high CRI XPG at 3000K does alright. If you like that tint range, obviously there's nothing to say.

However, if you are looking to get close to a 5000-5500K (rough tint range of daylight sun), the Nichia 219 must be miles ahead. Even the Nichia 119 that McGizmo runs is miles ahead in this regard.

I have let two XPG 3000K light go because even if it's 'high CRI', it is high CRI at that tint. Again, it's this whole high CRI issue rearing it's ugly head. It can be especially misleading in these tint ranges outside the range of tints the sun produces throughout the day.

The Nichia 119 at 4750K is like 10AM or 3PM sunlight, with great color rendition. I am not sure if the sun ever enters the 3000K range except during sunrise and sunset. It's a pretty color, and way better than 6500K in my opinion...but first I need something between 4500K and 5500K...then I would prefer the best color rendition available.

obi

mrradlos

Newly Enlightened
it depends what you mean saying "regulation". Just to illustrate my question, whiche one(s) are "regulated"?

reg-types.jpg

A,B,C are regulated for me! If C is what you get with your Nichia 219 triples and a single 18650, then I'm sure I could not see any change in output with my eyes :thumbsup:

wquiles

Flashaholic
A,B,C are regulated for me! If C is what you get with your Nichia 219 triples and a single 18650, then I'm sure I could not see any change in output with my eyes :thumbsup:
+1

Regulation is nice, but it is also WAY over-stated. No single person would detect differences between A, B, nor C. Only a calibrated instrument could. There has been many posts here in the forums in the last 7 years where it has been shown objectively that you need more than a 10-15% change (maybe it was even higher) in light output before you could notice. Human eyes are NOT that sensitive to those small changes.

Will