SunwayLED
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Unique LED request

  1. #1
    Unenlightened
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Unique LED request

    Hello all,

    I would much appreciate any directions for help to find an LED light solution with the following Specs:

    -Flat LED long life light (I plan on projecting it through an automobile windshield from the inside to uniformly cover the entire windshield)
    -Flood light not spot light (need even lighting with no hot spotting)
    -500 or > Lumens
    -Rechargeable with ability to stay on 8+ hours on a single charge
    -Capable of auto-on at night and auto-off in daylight

    I am not sure this solution exists with ALL my requirements, but any combination or any advice would be appreciated!

    Thanks again.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    Um, the closest thing I know of is an ArmyTek Predator with an Orange Peel reflector. Those are quite the requirements! What is it for?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    good luck with that.

  4. #4
    Flashaholic Tegan's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Savage, MN
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    Quote Originally Posted by NOREAT View Post
    What is it for?
    Shadow puppet marathon!!! Just kidding.

    500+ lumens with 8+ hours sounds very tough unless you can run it off the car battery. I don't know of any auto-on/off either. Good luck in your search though, and If you can run off the car battery, maybe check out the general lighting forum?

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* dc38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    Well, you might not need to run it off of a car battery, I think a 6V lantern battery would do just fine to power said light. As far as the auto on/off, why would you need that? O.o if you couple a good driver to an xml LED (capable of 1000 lumens at 1 amp apparently) and then power it with the lantern battery, I'm pretty sure you'll get a great runtime with great brightness. (if not, you can wire up a cigarette adapter to your light as to power it from the car.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic Tegan's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Savage, MN
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    Good point on the lantern battery. Do they make rechargeable ones?

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* dc38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    Quote Originally Posted by Tegan's Dad View Post
    Good point on the lantern battery. Do they make rechargeable ones?
    I'm not sure, but considering that they have rechargeable lanterns, I'm guessing yes. The voltage and capacity may differ though...

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* dc38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    I watched something on youtube where somebody took apart a 6v lantern (or project) battery and found 32 AA sized cells inside. Perhaps you could fill it with eneloops instead? lol... - Don't do it though, as most lantern batteries only have 4 weird cells inside that have no insulation. Also, I think the video may be fake, as 32 AA = 48V... O.o
    Last edited by dc38; 04-25-2012 at 04:39 PM.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    no lantern battery will run 500lm light for 8 hours, no way. their capacity is a bit bigger than D cell, but some have just D cells inside, even rechargeable ones have only 5ah,
    there is no such thing as, good driver to an xml LED (capable of 1000 lumens at 1 amp apparently). actualy there is no led capable of 1000lm at 1A.
    32AA =6v 4s8p

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* dc38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    no lantern battery will run 500lm light for 8 hours, no way. their capacity is a bit bigger than D cell, but some have just D cells inside, even rechargeable ones have only 5ah,
    there is no such thing as, good driver to an xml LED (capable of 1000 lumens at 1 amp apparently). actualy there is no led capable of 1000lm at 1A.
    32AA =6v 4s8p
    Hey alpg! Long time no hear. Anyways, you're right. I meant to type 2-3 amps on my phone, but i'm not that accurate when I'm excited lol. Any recommendations or input for Calogero77 though?

  11. #11

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    Quote Originally Posted by dc38 View Post
    I watched something on youtube where somebody took apart a 6v lantern (or project) battery and found 32 AA sized cells inside. Perhaps you could fill it with eneloops instead? lol... - Don't do it though, as most lantern batteries only have 4 weird cells inside that have no insulation. Also, I think the video may be fake, as 32 AA = 48V... O.o
    Are you kidding O.O (is there a facepalm smiley?)

    Also, wiring directly to the car battery would require a very specialized driver to cope with the voltage spikes and "dirty" supply.

  12. #12
    Flashaholic* dc38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place where the bad drivers are.
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty[hk] View Post
    Are you kidding O.O (is there a facepalm smiley?)

    Also, wiring directly to the car battery would require a very specialized driver to cope with the voltage spikes and "dirty" supply.
    What about hooking up an inverter to the cigarette port then wiring an led array together to work with a 3 prong plug? E]

  13. #13
    Flashaholic Tegan's Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Savage, MN
    Posts
    136

    Default Re: Unique LED request

    I guess it was never specified if the car was running or not, so the spikes may not be a problem. The voltage may have to be stepped down anyway, and a constant-current driver would like do just that, so the spikes may not be a problem. Some of that could be filtered with a big capacitor too.

    I think my bigger concern would be if this was run with the car being off, would it drain the car battery enough so it couldn't be started? Might be getting too far off topic though...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •