Unique LED request

calogero77

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I would much appreciate any directions for help to find an LED light solution with the following Specs:

-Flat LED long life light (I plan on projecting it through an automobile windshield from the inside to uniformly cover the entire windshield)
-Flood light not spot light (need even lighting with no hot spotting)
-500 or > Lumens
-Rechargeable with ability to stay on 8+ hours on a single charge
-Capable of auto-on at night and auto-off in daylight

I am not sure this solution exists with ALL my requirements, but any combination or any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks again.

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
Um, the closest thing I know of is an ArmyTek Predator with an Orange Peel reflector. Those are quite the requirements! What is it for?

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
What is it for?

Shadow puppet marathon!!!:party: Just kidding.

500+ lumens with 8+ hours sounds very tough unless you can run it off the car battery. I don't know of any auto-on/off either. Good luck in your search though, and :welcome: If you can run off the car battery, maybe check out the general lighting forum?

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Well, you might not need to run it off of a car battery, I think a 6V lantern battery would do just fine to power said light. As far as the auto on/off, why would you need that? o_O if you couple a good driver to an xml LED (capable of 1000 lumens at 1 amp apparently) and then power it with the lantern battery, I'm pretty sure you'll get a great runtime with great brightness. (if not, you can wire up a cigarette adapter to your light as to power it from the car.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched something on youtube where somebody took apart a 6v lantern (or project) battery and found 32 AA sized cells inside. Perhaps you could fill it with eneloops instead? lol... - Don't do it though, as most lantern batteries only have 4 weird cells inside that have no insulation. Also, I think the video may be fake, as 32 AA = 48V... o_O

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
no lantern battery will run 500lm light for 8 hours, no way. their capacity is a bit bigger than D cell, but some have just D cells inside, even rechargeable ones have only 5ah,
there is no such thing as, good driver to an xml LED (capable of 1000 lumens at 1 amp apparently). actualy there is no led capable of 1000lm at 1A.
32AA =6v 4s8p

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
no lantern battery will run 500lm light for 8 hours, no way. their capacity is a bit bigger than D cell, but some have just D cells inside, even rechargeable ones have only 5ah,
there is no such thing as, good driver to an xml LED (capable of 1000 lumens at 1 amp apparently). actualy there is no led capable of 1000lm at 1A.
32AA =6v 4s8p

Hey alpg! Long time no hear. Anyways, you're right. I meant to type 2-3 amps on my phone, but i'm not that accurate when I'm excited lol. Any recommendations or input for Calogero77 though?

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I watched something on youtube where somebody took apart a 6v lantern (or project) battery and found 32 AA sized cells inside. Perhaps you could fill it with eneloops instead? lol... - Don't do it though, as most lantern batteries only have 4 weird cells inside that have no insulation. Also, I think the video may be fake, as 32 AA = 48V... o_O
Are you kidding O.O (is there a facepalm smiley?)

Also, wiring directly to the car battery would require a very specialized driver to cope with the voltage spikes and "dirty" supply.

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
I guess it was never specified if the car was running or not, so the spikes may not be a problem. The voltage may have to be stepped down anyway, and a constant-current driver would like do just that, so the spikes may not be a problem. Some of that could be filtered with a big capacitor too.

I think my bigger concern would be if this was run with the car being off, would it drain the car battery enough so it couldn't be started? Might be getting too far off topic though...