How can I figure out the lumens at say, 1m/3feet on something like this?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux is the measurement of light at any one given spot, it's most useful to learn how bright a flashlight's hotspot is to get a idea of of how far the beam can throw. For instance a flashlight with a measurement of 10,000 lux in the hotspot (center of the beam) is useful to around 200 meters (just for example), while a flashlight that measures lux at 400 is only useful out to a few feet.

Total light output generally measured in a sphere is lumens and light measured at any one given spot of the beam is lux.

George I'm not trying to sound rude so please don't take this the wrong way but becaue you have over 3,000 post I really feel I have to ask how you don't know what lux is?

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not rude at all. I have NO retention so I keep asking the same stuff over and over again. Seriously, I dont understand, dont remember and can't concentrate enough to understand what I read.
Trust me, it's a bigger pain for me than you. Just take my word for it...

So, if you look at those links, would you think they are sufficient to light up objects a few feet away but with enough light so that I can have some decent
apertures and shutter speeds? It would be cool to have something like that, permanently set up so I can shoot my stuff and just having to turn them on.

I have shelving systems in my house and was going to take a couple of shelves away so I can have me a little cubby space so to speak at 48" and around 24" or so.
Clamp a couple of these suckers on the sides and I should be good to go.

What say ye?

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux is a measure of throw, you should be concentrating on Lumens on an area light.
The light you chose has a good color spectrum ;) you will need more than one for good pictures and visibility. What distance do you need the light projected

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux is a measure of throw, you should be concentrating on Lumens on an area light.
The light you chose has a good color spectrum ;) you will need more than one for good pictures and visibility. What distance do you need the light projected

Less than a few feet "I have shelving systems in my house and was going to take a couple of shelves away so I can have me a little cubby space so to speak at 48" and around 24" or so.
Clamp a couple of these suckers on the sides and I should be good to go."

"The only value that should be interesting to me would be the 1m value and actually
since I'll have ONE light on each side of a 48" wide space, it's more like the lux value at HALF a meter"

Thanks

George

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought so. I still asked someone to move this thread for me but I'm thinking you're right. Question is if two are enough. I'd like to get some decent
shutter speeds and f stops but like you said, they're cheap enough :)

Thanks

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, is there a way to figure out how much light that is and either let me know what kind of settings I would get at 100 ISO or what power light bulb it would compare to?

They also have an 800 lux and 920 lux unit at 1m distance..