CR123A multiple battery holders

ToddI

Newly Enlightened
I'm wondering if anyone has constructed or used a CR123A 4-battery holder? I've seen very good discussions for CR123A performance here, and would like to find a lightweight (plastic if possible, but aluminum or other lightweight metal is fine) battery holder if possible. Ultimately I need to wire 3 sets of 4 in parallel for my application (military, so it also has to be "rugged enough" so that you can drop it and the batteries stay in).

Thanks,
Todd

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteryspace has some cheap 1x cr-123 holders and some 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x 18650 holders. The 18650 holders have protection circuits built in, which yiu might have to remove.

ToddI

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!

@The_Driver - I did a comparison of battery dimensions - the 18650 is 18.3 x 65 mm, and the CR123A is 17 mm x 34.5 mm. I'm assuming I would put 2 CR123A batteries into 1 18650 slot (i.e. I would want a 2X 18650 battery holder for 4 batteries)? Have you ever tried this before - will the spring "give" the extra 4 mm to fit? Does the smaller diameter of the CR123s make it more likely for them to fall out? Is there a preferred way to hold them in (velcro straps or the like)?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions - just trying to figure out if I'm going to order these and need to experiment, or if you have experience doing this and know for sure it will work. They make it difficult for us to purchase things at my company, so I'm trying to make sure I order parts that are likely to work the first time.

Thanks!
Todd

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note that I don't actually own these holders.

Yes you would put 2 cr123s in series into one 18650 slot.

I'm guessing they would be a bit loose because of the smaller diameter.

The other problem is that you will need to rip out the protection circuits. The voltages of li-ion cells don't match up with those of cr123s.

Another thing to keep in mind is also what kind of current will flow through the battery and the holder. You should probably not let more than 1A flow through these holders.

I would probably take the cr123 holders.

Maybe you should search digikey for better holders. Maybe ebay has some.

The best (for highest quality and lowest resistance) would be to make some yourself.