Foxfury Rook
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

  1. #1
    Flashaholic dieselducy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    339

    Default Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    I have been reading that it does not throw well at all. My CURRENT light is a quark AA NW running off a 14500. Here is the issue, i LOVE my quark but the battery life is not really suitable for my work. Here is what i want. -Runs on single 18650 - VERY bright -Neutral white or high CRI -decent throw and spill comparable to or better than standard AA quark

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* Lou Minescence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New England US
    Posts
    662

    Default

    If you get the 2 CR123 tube for your Quark and run a 17650 you will have 2.5 X the runtime over the 14500 battery.The light will be about 3/4 " longer.
    I have a Sunwayman M20c T5 neutral that I really like. It takes an 18650. It is a lot bigger than the Quark. The M20c is not a thrower @ 350 lumens but it is pocket size.
    Last edited by Lou Minescence; 04-23-2012 at 07:06 PM.

  3. #3
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    PATRIOT NATION
    Posts
    308

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    Dieselducy,

    I would check out both these lights: klarus XT11, sunwayman T20CS. The klarus has a bright flood and still decent throw. The sunwayman has a good flood to but more of that light is b3ing focused to throw with a slightly larger head and smooth reflector. Either of the lights of mentioned will double in performance. The sunwayman is a little more expensive at $110 and the Klarus at $92. Both solid lights, Klarus is more tactically suited no doubt. Hope you find the light your looking for sir!

    SPC smith

  4. #4
    Flashaholic dieselducy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    I have a ti 123 2 and my 17650 wont fit. Is the aluminum one better? If it is. I might get a high cri 123 2. Still thinking about the zebra light. Does it throw at all or is it solely a flood light

  5. #5
    Flashaholic* LightWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    17670 not 17650. My AW 17670 fits my aluminum Quark but is a little tight. Can get about 30 hours on med, about 7:40 on high and about 1:30 on max to 50%.
    I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. Jesus Christ - John 12:46

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* think2x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pulaski, Va.
    Posts
    1,362

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by dieselducy View Post
    I have a ti 123 2 and my 17650 wont fit. Is the aluminum one better? If it is. I might get a high cri 123 2. Still thinking about the zebra light. Does it throw at all or is it solely a flood light
    I had I Ti 2x123 quark tube that would NOT fit a 17670 also. All of the 2x123 aluminum ones did fit though with the battery label (not wrapper) removed. Just don't forget and load 2x123's in it or it's toast. The Zebra is a flooder, it does throw some from pure brute force though.

    dieseldusy,

    You know I'm only about an hour from you and travel up your way fairly often. I could meet up with you and let you compare some lights if you like. Send me a PM if you like.

    Jamie

  7. #7
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    While it's not a thrower per say. I think theSC600, with it's output, will illuminate a pretty good distance, 200 feet? with a great spill. And with .09 to 645 lumen output makes this light quite versatile. IMO, more then a pure thrower.
    Last edited by LGT; 04-29-2012 at 03:39 PM.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic dieselducy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by think2x View Post
    I had I Ti 2x123 quark tube that would NOT fit a 17670 also. All of the 2x123 aluminum ones did fit though with the battery label (not wrapper) removed. Just don't forget and load 2x123's in it or it's toast. The Zebra is a flooder, it does throw some from pure brute force though.

    dieseldusy,

    You know I'm only about an hour from you and travel up your way fairly often. I could meet up with you and let you compare some lights if you like. Send me a PM if you like.

    Jamie
    I would LOVE that. I am PMing you my contact info.

  9. #9
    Flashaholic dieselducy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    339

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    I dont need a pure thrower. I work on the railroad and I want an effective range of 1-200 yards.

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* Samy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    539

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    My SC600 throws as far and bit further than my Quark X 2AA Neutral and my Klarus ST20.

    It's not a thrower, but it's much easier to use when navigating the bush compared to my Fenix TK41 which pulls you into a tunnel vision effect. The TK41 easily out throws the SC600 but when i want to light up my backyard i go for the flood of the SC600 because there just SO MUCH of it

    cheers

  11. #11
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    ROLL TIDE!
    Posts
    1,008

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    "Does it throw at all or is it solely a flood light"

    The SC600 will throw around 5800-5900 lux at 1m (the W version is going to be a little lower but fairly similar) which is respectable for the size of the light but pretty low as compared to the lumens it puts out. As mentioned earlier in this thread, what throw it has is due to brute force and not due to a throwy reflector.

    Do some searching around on Selfbuilt's reviews (he reviewed the SC600) and you will get an idea of what it out throws in lights of similar size. Look at the lux at 1m and distance to .25L data.

    I find that the throw is adequate for most tasks and the total light output is outstanding.
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

  12. #12

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by dieselducy View Post
    I dont need a pure thrower. I work on the railroad and I want an effective range of 1-200 yards.
    Forget the SC600 then, 200 yards is way out of its useful range....50-60 yards, borderline, more than that, its too dark past the flood.

    The Klarus XT11 is pretty effective just shy of that range...on an 18650, but would work on two RCR123's...but the run time would be shorter...so, if 200 yards is a distance you need to light up, you do need a throw capable light.

    If looking for people hiding, etc, or vandalism, damaged missing cargo/equipment, etc..the ANSI 0.25 lumen range will be woefully inadequate...you'll need a lot more lux on target to resolve the details you are probably looking for.

    For less $ than the SC600, you could get a Crelant 7G5 V2 that would light up that range very well, a little higher lumen output than the SC600 on turbo, but, a less floody beam. The beam is still large enough to see context, etc.

    The Klarus XT20 would be more $ than the SC600, but would have roughly double the lumen output, and a floody beam with the throw you need.

    The key issues with lights for patrolling involve the fact that a floody beam is so much more useful most of the time...but, to make a flood light throw, it requires an ENORMOUS amount of lumens...as the lumens have to light up a very large area.

    So you either carry a smaller floody light, with a larger more powerful light on your duty belt, etc, so you use the floody light for most of your walking around, and whip out the big bad boy to check out the next yard over, etc....

    or, suck it up and just buy a large powerful light that has low modes and a floody beam, so it can cover the walking around and reading maps/meters...and ramp up to spot a perp 200 yards away hiding in the weeds.



    An Xtar S1 for example, etc.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic fishndad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    441

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    i found most lights effective range, as he put it,is well shy of the range dealers quote they can throw.
    200yds is a long distance. you can still get the sc600 you'll find a place for it.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by fishndad View Post
    i found most lights effective range, as he put it,is well shy of the range dealers quote they can throw.
    200yds is a long distance. you can still get the sc600 you'll find a place for it.
    Its because the 0.25 lux used as the cut off of a beam's range is actually about useless at long distances....maybe you could tell SOMETHING was out there, but not a man with his arms full of firewood from a man with a firearm, etc.

    If getting to your hotel room bathroom at 3 am with night adapted eyes, 0.25 lux is not too bad...and for other fairly close range large motor tasks.

    ..But, if the same 0.25 lux is on a target 200 yards away,...well...think about how hard you need to focus your eyes in DAYLIGHT to resolve details on something 200 yards away.

    You'd use your fovea, the sharpest part of your vision...roughly a 2% cone of vision....to see anything at that range...

    ..except THAT part has the worst night vision...so you need more light to see details with it.

    To avoid bumping into furniture, peripheral vision is fine...but try threading a needle, or seeing someone laying in the grass 200 yards away with it...much harder.

    If you do the same range calculation with a higher lux cut-off, you see a dramatic drop in range.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    My well house is 100yards from my porch. The SC600 is great if i need to light up the area up to my well house. Anything beyond that 100yards and it's fairly hard to see. I would consider the SC600 a 100yard flood light.
    I have many lights light will out throw the SC600 with the same amount of flood. Out of them all only the SC600 fits in my pocket This reason alone usually means that i have the SC600 on my person when i need it while the others are still on the shelf.

    JD

  16. #16
    Flashaholic fishndad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    441

    Default Re: Thinking of Zebra SC600-w BUT...

    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    Its because the 0.25 lux used as the cut off of a beam's range is actually about useless at long distances....maybe you could tell SOMETHING was out there, but not a man with his arms full of firewood from a man with a firearm, etc.

    If getting to your hotel room bathroom at 3 am with night adapted eyes, 0.25 lux is not too bad...and for other fairly close range large motor tasks.

    ..But, if the same 0.25 lux is on a target 200 yards away,...well...think about how hard you need to focus your eyes in DAYLIGHT to resolve details on something 200 yards away.

    You'd use your fovea, the sharpest part of your vision...roughly a 2% cone of vision....to see anything at that range...

    ..except THAT part has the worst night vision...so you need more light to see details with it.

    To avoid bumping into furniture, peripheral vision is fine...but try threading a needle, or seeing someone laying in the grass 200 yards away with it...much harder.

    If you do the same range calculation with a higher lux cut-off, you see a dramatic drop in range.
    well thats what i ment to say.LOL
    Union Proud IBEW Local 683

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •