Looking for a Pen light.

Eternalgameplayer

Newly Enlightened
I'll start off by saying hello! I'm new to these forums all though I've been reading the threads here for a month or so. I'm looking for a decent pen light I can put in my pocket. I need it to be thin, so I'm thinking AAA, maybe even AAAA.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__x__I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in St. Augusting, FL.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
__x__I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
__x__Every day carry small (2-4 inches). Length is not a real concern for me. The width is tho.
__x__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

__x__I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__x__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
__x__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__x__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
_x___30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_x___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
_x___3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
_x___Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
_x___I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
_x___I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
__x__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
__x__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
__x__Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Thanks for looking and Thanks in advance for the help.
:)

egrep

Enlightened
47's Preon 1 (one AAA cell) or 2 (two AAA cells). Try to get neutral or HiCRI. Ti available as well as colors in Aluminum HA. Also a 'tuxedo' hybrid was (is?) made.

Last edited:

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
47's Preon 1 (one AAA cell) or 2 (two AAA cells). Try to get neutral or HiCRI. Ti available as well as colors in Aluminum HA. Also a 'tuxedo' hybrid was (is?) made.

They still sell the tuxedo Ti/Al version, which is the one I have. When I emailed to ask about the Ti preon, they said they'll continue to carry it.

Foursevens is still in the process of rebranding their lights with the new logo, so they may be hard to find for a while.

One of the great things about the Preon series is that they're completely modular. If the OP decides he wants a single AAA light, he can order a new body from Foursevens and swap it out. The clips are also sold separately, so no need to worry if you break one.

Also, mine's just a warm white, but it's so warm it looks incandescent. Really nice quality of light out of the emitter.

Via iPhone & Tapatalk

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Preon 2 with neutral led. I will keep it forever!

Cheers

Same for me. I'm not a big AAA fan, but 4 Sevens did a great job with this one. Nice and thin and can also be a 2 x AAA as mentioned in post above. I generally find it too long with 2 x AAA so I keep it in the single configuration. Used it last night and right now have it within reach.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Preon 2 is probably the finest 2 AAA penlight flashlight on the market today. It comes as no surprise that so many recommend it. Ditto.
An excellent low priced alternative at about one third the price with 1 mode and with metal tail clicky is the TANK007 EO6, available in black or red.
TANK007 seems to offer some surprisingly good build quality and components in a budget light. The specs & features below are typical of many of their lights.
I've been a fan. I also particularly like the TANK007 TK-703 1 AAA which is perhaps the throwiest 1 AAA available anywhere and is designed to use a 10440.

tnkEo62.jpg

Specifications:
LampSSC U2 LED with lifespan of 80000hours
Max Brightness120lumens
Output LevelsOne mode
(Constant current circuit chip which maintains constant brightness)
Power SourceTwo AAA(Alkaline, Ni-Mh, Lithium primary) batteries
Input Voltage0.8V-4.2V
Burn Time2hours
MaterialMade of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
TreatmentPremium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
Exterior ColorBlack , red
ReflectorVacuum coated aluminum optical reflector
Throw Beam80 meters
LensToughened ultra clear glass lens with AR coating
SwitchReliable metal end click switch
ConstructionWaterproof to IPX6 standard
Impact ResistantAnti-drop height of 1 meters
Size12.1cm(length)*1.5cm(diameter)
Weight30.0g(excluding batteries)
Diffuser15mm white diffuser or red signal cap are available

Last edited:

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I got a Hypetac P1A

1 AAA battery, 3 brightness levels, clicky

Medium 28 lumens / 3.5 hours - High 90 lumens / 1.2 hours - Low 3 lumens / 40 hours

tootallll

Newly Enlightened
Love my Preon2, in fact I went on to 4Sevens website today looking to purchase more for my employees and was disappointed to see "Discontinued" next to all the Preon lights :(

So I am searching for a Preon2 replacement. I have seen a Preon2's for sale from outlets besides 4Sevens but I'm hesitant to purchase from them as outfits like that usually dropship from the manufacturer...I'd rather get it from 4Sevens directly.
Mike

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
I am not sure that I would call it a penlight, although I keep one in my front shirt pocket all the time, but I love my Maratac AAA. I own the copper version, but it also comes in black (ano), natural aluminum, and polished stainless steel.

I agree the Preon is beautiful and well made. Maybe I need to order a new light... :)

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
Love my Preon2, in fact I went on to 4Sevens website today looking to purchase more for my employees and was disappointed to see "Discontinued" next to all the Preon lights :(

So I am searching for a Preon2 replacement. I have seen a Preon2's for sale from outlets besides 4Sevens but I'm hesitant to purchase from them as outfits like that usually dropship from the manufacturer...I'd rather get it from 4Sevens directly.
Mike

No one drop ships from 4sevens, if theyve got it, theyve got it.

Danielight

Enlightened
Check out the HypeTac selection at Shining Beam Links not permitted in this forum. See red banner at top of page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smokescreen

Newly Enlightened
Either the Preon 2 or if you want to save some money the Streamlight Stylus Pro is not horrible either and its single mode (some people like simplicity).

JudasD

Enlightened
I just purchased a Preon 2 High CRI in Tuxedo for my dad. He is an auto electrician and was tired of maglites and florescent lights for looking at wires under the dash. He showed the Preon 2 to the guys at his shop and many asked where they could buy one. He said that about 5 of them where turned of at the price. From what i understand there are now about 6-7 of these lights at his shop now :thumbsup:

JD