Imalent

Thread: Big Guns - Olight SR90 or Fenix TK70

Hybrid View

Flashaholic

Default Big Guns - Olight SR90 or Fenix TK70

Does anyone actually own both? Input would be great - looking for a big gun - What throws farther and is a better light?

I went TK70. More modes and safer batteries than the SR90.

Default Re: Big Guns - Olight SR90 or Fenix TK70

I went TK70 also and have been very pleased with the light, can't help you on the SR90. Everyone who see's the TK70 is left in total awe they can't believe a light can be that bright and I like that it has other modes also so it's not a one trick pony.

TK70. i bought it lasy year and it's awesome! the main reason was cost. very similar lux readings from various sources and slightly more lumens. have also used the strobe mode for a party in the paddock
    i spot animals eyes over 400m away and see the animal between 250 and 300 through the scope of the rifle.
    from what i've read though the Varapower turbo has a few more lux, not sure on price though

varapower turbo 2.0 runs close to $300....

I am thinking if you should skip the aboveflashlights and go straight to Olight X6.
    Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you.

Quote Originally Posted by RCLumens View Post
    Does anyone actually own both? Input would be great - looking for a big gun - What throws farther and is a better light?
    The TK-70 will be one of my next lights to buy. I really like the fact that it runs up to 2,200 lumens with only 4 -D cell batteries! You can get D's anywhere, and cheap too if you buy them at the right place, or get rechargeables. D's have a lot going for them too, which is why they have traditionally been used to power flashlights, so I'm glad to see a major brand get back to using them.

The TK-70 gets pretty good battery life too, and it costs about $150 less than the Olight(last I checked)

The SR90 needs 6 - 18650's. That will cost you about $84-$120 for 6 decent quality 18650's! If you already have them, then its no big deal, but if not......... So the flashlight is $150 more + about $54-$90 extra for the 18650 batteries(compared with the cost of rechargeable D batteries), and the SR-90 will cost around $204-240 MORE than the TK-70!

To me, the TK-70 is the no-brainer choice of the two lights, but that's my opinion.....

There's a third option though------ That would be the Nitecore TM-11 Tiny Monster. It runs up to 2,000lu, is very short and thick, and uses 3 XML's, and 4 18650's or 8 - Cr123's. It cost $260. Its cool and all, but it's the 4 -18650's thats the deal breaker for me. I still like the 4 -D's of the TK-70. You have to spend around $56-$80 for 4 decent quality 18650's, whereas you can get D's for a whole lot less. Rechargeable D's should be both easier to find, and made by major companies so they are probably safer too.

So the TK-70 = 1st choice, Nitecore TM-11 "Tiny Monster" = 2nd choice.

***However.....If money is no object, you dont care about how many or what type of batteries is involved, and throw is your number 1 priority, then the SR-90 is the way to go.
    Last edited by HighlanderNorth; 04-24-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by HighlanderNorth View Post
    The TK-70 will be one of my next lights to buy. I really like the fact that it runs up to 2,200 lumens with only 4 -D cell batteries! You can get D's anywhere, and cheap too if you buy them at the right place, or get rechargeables. D's have a lot going for them too, which is why they have traditionally been used to power flashlights, so I'm glad to see a major brand get back to using them.
    I'm probably telling you something you already know but don't think you will see full power in the TK70 or VPT2 using Alkaline D cells. Alkalines have way too much internal resistance tend to leak if you push them to hard. Not good in our expensive lights.

The TK70 would run on "Hi" but would not be able to provide the full 7amps (when using 4 cells, over 10amps with 3) needed on Turbo. It would be brighter than "Hi" mode but not near as bright as using 4 Nimh cells. Same applies to VPT2 at the higher settings.

So Alkalines could be used in a pinch but require some TLC.

Flashaholic*

I'm probably telling you something you already know but don't think you will see full power in the TK70 or VPT2 using Alkaline D cells. Alkalines have way too much internal resistance and tend to leak if you push them too hard. Not good in our expensive lights.

The TK70 would run on "Hi" but would not be able to provide the full 7amps (when using 4 cells, over 10amps with 3) needed on Turbo. It would be brighter than "Hi" mode but not near as bright as using 4 Nimh cells. Same applies to VPT2 at the higher settings.

Quote Originally Posted by 357mag1 View Post
    I'm probably telling you something you already know but don't think you will see full power in the TK70 or VPT2 using Alkaline D cells. Alkalines have way too much internal resistance and tend to leak if you push them too hard. Not good in our expensive lights.

No, your are NOT telling me something I already knew. I wasnt aware that you couldn't reliably run the TK 70 on turbo mode with alkalines. But you can on Nimh cells right? What if you just ran the TK-70 on high(not turbo) with alkalines? Would that still present a problem after a while of running it?

I read here somewhere a few months ago that D's are much better than most other common flashlight batteries for LED flashlights, due to their size and capabilities. I guess it depends on the case.
    Last edited by HighlanderNorth; 04-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Flashaholic*

No, your are NOT telling me something I already knew. I wasnt aware that you couldn't reliably run the TK 70 on turbo mode with alkalines. But you can on Nimh cells right? What if you just ran the TK-70 on high(not turbo) with alkalines? Would that still present a problem after a while of running it?

I read here somewhere a few months ago that D's are much better than most other common flashlight batteries for LED flashlights, due to their size and capabilities. I guess it depends on the case.
    On "Hi" current would be around 1.5amps using four Alkalines so that wouldn't be too bad. Like I said the Alkalines will work but the higher internal resistance will limit the current Alkalines can supply and the harder they are pushed the more likely they will leak.

Nimhs are great for handling high currents and power these flashlights with no issues.
    I've tested just about every D cell Nimh on the market. Avoid AccuEvolution, they used to be some of the best but changed about two years ago and now produce the worst cell I've tested. Tenergy Premiums have tested better than any other D Nimh cell and you can get 8 for $61 shipped.
    Don't use the Energizer rechargeable D cells or others built like them. They are only rated for 2500mah while most rechargeable Ds are rated between 8000mah and 10,000mah.

A quality D cell charger is a must and my choice would be the AccuManager 20 for $46 shipped. My only other choice in a D charger is the Maha 808 at $84 shipped. All others have proved less than satisfactory.

Hope that helps.

Flashaholic*

Just to throw another one in, the Elektrolumens ST90 is the furthest throwing led light I have owned to date and I have had a lambda and so many throwers over the years I have lost count it even out throws the last 35W HID I had with a 110mm head.
    It takes 4x 18650's and can be had for about $250 (I dedomed mine for that extra oomph) it will shine further but I get a realistic (usable lux) out to 500 meters at work.

Flashaholic*

Unfortunately I've dealt with Elektrolumens (Wayne) on many occasions and on some of the projects he has went way over scheduled delivery and does not initiate communication. I had to bug him for over a year on one project, while he had my full payment the entire time. Never once did he let me know where he was without prompting.
    Two of the lights I purchased from him are going bad (dim output) and I haven't sent them back because I don't want to have to continually prod him to get them repaired. Lambda (Kevin) has never treated me in that fashion which is the reason he now gets my money for custom builds.
    Just one guys experience but I think there are several threads with members complaining about Elektrolumens lack of customer support.
    Last edited by 357mag1; 04-25-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Flashaholic*

You are right that Kevin is great to deal with, great communication and service - electro has had some hiccups.
    How ever you say lambdas lights are custom but really they are hybrid lights made from 2 differant lights (if you get the turbo 2) a maglite and a $10 Chinese light, but he puts his own guts in.
    The varapower I had was bright but didn't handle the heat well in a small mag head so I bought a 2.5' throw head from 5mega and that helped - still the led popped from over heating from lack of mass, but I know he's fixed that now.
    Other things I didn't like was the switch was always touchy and flickered if touched or bumped, also switch wobbled/rattled as it has no weather seal around it through the body (infact you can shine a light between the switch and body and see inside) that always bothered me and when I mentioned it to Kevin about rain getting in because I need it to handle rain for work he said just face the switch down and rain won't get in (fail IMO) also NiMh batteries can loose up to 5% of their charge per day just sitting - they are heavy, can leak under load as someone said and the rattled no end which anoyed me.

The ST90 was built from the ground up and is like a tank - and the led is self replaceable with two little bolts no wires to solder, takes lithium batteries and will IMO out throw the turbo 2 because of the bigger reflector also they are in stock to buy now.
    Unfortunately I've dealt with Elektrolumens (Wayne) on many occasions and on some of the projects he has went way over scheduled delivery and does not initiate communication. I had to bug him for over a year on one project, while he had my full payment the entire time. Never once did he let me know where he was without prompting.
    Two of the lights I purchased from him are going bad (dim output) and I haven't sent them back because I don't want to have to continually prod him to get them repaired. Lambda (Kevin) has never treated me in that fashion which is the reason he now gets my money for custom builds.
    Just one guys experience but I think there are several threads with members complaining about Elektrolumens lack of customer support.

Well these lights are bright and have over 1,000lm but it also matters what kind of reflector the TK70 and SR90 have so its all comes down to your preference. I own a Trustfire x6 with 3x 18650 and it gets the job done for a short trime, but the run time is 30-40min.

I like the job this light does too - great throw and spill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick's APEX LED's View Post
    . I own a Trustfire x6 with 3x 18650 and it gets the job done for a short trime, but the run time is 30-40min.
    SureFire UB3T Invictus; TrustFire X6; LumaPower MVP (3xCree) , Sunwayman V11R; 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical, Electrolumens EDC-P7; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT-R2, LF2X

I am a fan of the TrustFire X6 too and think it is a much under-rated light. I note also that it is not a 'copy' of any other 'name-brand' light.

Agree that you only get 30-40 mins runtime on high but that is plenty for me and I prefer the 'long-thin' profile and the 3 x 'standard' 18650 batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick's APEX LED's View Post
    Well these lights are bright and have over 1,000lm but it also matters what kind of reflector the TK70 and SR90 have so its all comes down to your preference. I own a Trustfire x6 with 3x 18650 and it gets the job done for a short trime, but the run time is 30-40min.
    SureFire UB3T Invictus; TrustFire X6; LumaPower MVP (3xCree) , Sunwayman V11R; 4Sevens Quark AA Tactical, Electrolumens EDC-P7; Nitecore DI (R2, GDP, Q5); LiteFlux LF2XT-R2, LF2X

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    You are right that Kevin is great to deal with, great communication and service - electro has had some hiccups.
    How ever you say lambdas lights are custom but really they are hybrid lights made from 2 differant lights (if you get the turbo 2) a maglite and a $10 Chinese light, but he puts his own guts in.
    The varapower I had was bright but didn't handle the heat well in a small mag head so I bought a 2.5' throw head from 5mega and that helped - still the led popped from over heating from lack of mass, but I know he's fixed that now.
    Other things I didn't like was the switch was always touchy and flickered if touched or bumped, also switch wobbled/rattled as it has no weather seal around it through the body (infact you can shine a light between the switch and body and see inside) that always bothered me and when I mentioned it to Kevin about rain getting in because I need it to handle rain for work he said just face the switch down and rain won't get in (fail IMO) also NiMh batteries can loose up to 5% of their charge per day just sitting - they are heavy, can leak under load as someone said and the rattled no end which anoyed me.

The ST90 was built from the ground up and is like a tank - and the led is self replaceable with two little bolts no wires to solder, takes lithium batteries and will IMO out throw the turbo 2 because of the bigger reflector also they are in stock to buy now.
    Which light are you talking about, the VaraPower 2000 or VaraPower Turbo? Sounds like the former since you mentioned "small mag head".

Flashaholic*

You make some valid points. I've never had a nimh battery leak unless I shorted it out and even then it took some time. They are heavy.

I wish you lived close I would love to see if the ST90 could out throw my VPT2. I'm not saying it can't be done but the VPT2 is out throwing my Deft.

I looked at Elektrolumens ST90 on his website. It would be nice if he listed more information. I would like to see the battery compartment to see how the 4 18650s are arranged. It would be nice if he let us know how much current is getting to the LED. I admit to being interested in the light but I really don't want to get on the Merry Go Round with Wayne again if any problems crop up.

Flashaholic

Very good feedback from all. One thing (at least for myself) that I'm considering is real usability, meaning wet weather at times if need be. I should have mentioned that first and foremost is dependability/reliability. I love the custom builds, and although pricey, I find that there's the focus on bright beam, even if, for only a brief time. I'm looking for a real-world light that can blast a good distance, but without sacrifice of quality. Flexibility on variable output (more than 2 setting) is also a plus, as is size...If you depended on a far throwing light, what would that be? I'm not looking to impress friends, although, I'm sure any of these lights would do more than that, I'm looking for something that can be relied on. As far as custom builds go, the Deft EDC, seems to be made of the highest quality. I may start messing around with asphericals, but for the purpose of a major gun, I need as much functionality as possible. Along with throw and output. Thus far, I'm still circling back to the TK70 and SR 90. Cheers to all!

Flashaholic*

I wasn't going to address Glenn7's responses concerning Lambda Lights as I didn't want this thread to be dragged too far off the OPs original intent.
    After rereading his post I feel his wording may leave readers with a false impression of a fine product.

In no way am I belittling his input but it sounds like he had an earlier version of the light and while his experiences are valid with that light they don't seem to be for the present products.

The VPT2 by Lambda Lights is based on a Maglite. I does make use of a head off a Chinese light and a reflector from DX. He covers this information is his build discussions on Flashlight News forum so it is no secret.

I'm headed to a Car show this weekend and there will be custom cars there based on Fords and Chevys. They don't refer to them as Hybrids.
    I believe it is the quality of the work that determines if it is a custom light (or car). Readers can research Lambda Lights and determine for themselves if his work rates being called custom.

No battery rattle in my VPT2 as it is sleeved to use 4C cells and they don't rattle in the least.

Not sure what was up with your switch, none of my 6 have the problem you experienced. I know he will take care of his products but being in Australia I imagine the shipping isn't cheap.

Lambda now offers the option of a VLT2 for those needing water resistance. It will have the same resistance as a standard Maglite.

Enough on Lambda, now for Nimh batteries. Not sure what you used for batteries but even the worst ones I've tested C and D cells don't come close to 5% loss per day. That would mean they were totally dead in 20 days!!! The old Energizer 2500mah AAs might have been that bad.

I just tested 8 D cells that sat on a shelf for 90 days after a full charge (discharged at 3amp rate).
    Average mah when fully charged – 9700mah
    Average mah after 90 days – 8600mah

These were not LSD batteries. They were Tenergy Premium D cells.
    If you are going to let your lights set more than 90 days without charging get LSD cells otherwise enjoy the higher capacity of regular Nimh cells.

Again, I'm not questioning Glenn7's experience as there were and probably still are low quality nimh cells on the market. Just as there are questionable quality Lithium cells on the market.
    It is important that readers understand his remarks are not all encompassing.

This thread makes me want to "de-dome" my TK-41...

cheers

Flashaholic*

I wasn't going to address Glenn7's responses concerning Lambda Lights as I didn't want this thread to be dragged too far off the OPs original intent.
    After rereading his post I feel his wording may leave readers with a false impression of a fine product.

In no way am I belittling his input but it sounds like he had an earlier version of the light and while his experiences are valid with that light they don't seem to be for the present products.

The VPT2 by Lambda Lights is based on a Maglite. I does make use of a head off a Chinese light and a reflector from DX. He covers this information is his build discussions on Flashlight News forum so it is no secret.

I'm headed to a Car show this weekend and there will be custom cars there based on Fords and Chevys. They don't refer to them as Hybrids.
    I believe it is the quality of the work that determines if it is a custom light (or car). Readers can research Lambda Lights and determine for themselves if his work rates being called custom.

No battery rattle in my VPT2 as it is sleeved to use 4C cells and they don't rattle in the least.

Not sure what was up with your switch, none of my 6 have the problem you experienced. I know he will take care of his products but being in Australia I imagine the shipping isn't cheap.

Lambda now offers the option of a VLT2 for those needing water resistance. It will have the same resistance as a standard Maglite.

Enough on Lambda, now for Nimh batteries. Not sure what you used for batteries but even the worst ones I've tested C and D cells don't come close to 5% loss per day. That would mean they were totally dead in 20 days!!! The old Energizer 2500mah AAs might have been that bad.

I just tested 8 D cells that sat on a shelf for 90 days after a full charge (discharged at 3amp rate).
    Average mah when fully charged – 9700mah
    Average mah after 90 days – 8600mah

These were not LSD batteries. They were Tenergy Premium D cells.
    If you are going to let your lights set more than 90 days without charging get LSD cells otherwise enjoy the higher capacity of regular Nimh cells.

Again, I'm not questioning Glenn7's experience as there were and probably still are low quality nimh cells on the market. Just as there are questionable quality Lithium cells on the market.
    It is important that readers understand his remarks are not all encompassing.
    Maybe we need to define what we call a custom light and a moded light - I mean no disrespect to lambda or 357, lambda is a clever man and I respect what he does, hey I bought his lights before most here and I was one of the ones that blew my horn here on cpf helping getting people to know about them.
    Everyone on cpf that changes a light from its original (including milkyspit) call it modding or modding service. I don't know of anyone on cpf that call their lights custom that don't make them from scratch, sorry just pointing this out (maybe its semantics).
    Yes I did have a merry go around experience a while back with Elektrolumens, but just as you say lambda's lights have improved from when I first bought one so has Waynes service.

SORRY opp we went off on a tangent on two differant lights that you didn't even ask about - if anybody wants and I get time I might try to get some pix of the throw of the ST90 and battery pack and such?

What does dedomed mean, how hard is it to do, and what are the disadvantages?

Thanks!

*Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: Big Guns - Olight SR90 or Fenix TK70

Quote Originally Posted by fonzerelli View Post
    What does dedomed mean, how hard is it to do, and what are the disadvantages?

Thanks!
    The LED has a dome over it to disperse the light...removing the dome (On the SR90 at least) means prying the dome off...it takes ~ 10 minutes including taking the head off to reach the LED. Its just held by a soft gel, not a hard glue, etc...and it comes right up. That's for the ST90 in the SR90.

On other LEDS - it can be harder to do, and some people reported damage, and a loss in lumens.

The advantage is that the light is less dispersed, and throw is increased. The disadvantage is that some of the floodiness is reduced...as you are trading some flood for some throw...essentially reproportioning the beam profile.

Phlatlight has a new LED with no dome, meant to take advantage of this for example.

The Olight SR90 was measured (by Selfbuilt) as having ~ 112,500 Lux @ 1 meter and ~1,400 Lumens OTF (Yeah, the advertised 2,200 Lumens was shown to be a bit ambitious/theoretical emitter based, etc...).

The Dedomed version was shown to as having 203,000 Lux at one meter and ~ 1,350 Lumens OTF (TurboBB and Vinhnguyen54).

This shows that, for the SR90's LED at least...that dedoming it increased lux at 1 Meter by ~ 80% (BIG boost in throw), while having almost no impact on total lumen output (OTF).
    Last edited by TEEJ; 04-25-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    The LED has a dome over it to disperse the light...removing the dome (On the SR90 at least) means prying the dome off...it takes ~ 10 minutes including taking the head off to reach the LED. Its just held by a soft gel, not a hard glue, etc...and it comes right up. That's for the ST90 in the SR90.

On other LEDS - it can be harder to do, and some people reported damage, and a loss in lumens.

The advantage is that the light is less dispersed, and throw is increased. The disadvantage is that some of the floodiness is reduced...as you are trading some flood for some throw...essentially reproportioning the beam profile.
    As far as I know the lens actually foces the light of the led, so more light gies forward. If you take of the lens then more light goes to the sides, which is good when using a reflector, because this collimated the light going to the sides. Intrestingly the de-doming also increaes the lux when using an aspheric (at least in the varapowers case).

Compared to the de-domed SR90 the Varapower does the same lux with a smaller reflector and more lumens. The special things about this light are the heatsinking (led soldered directly onto massive copper heatsink) and the Varacontrol (1 to 2000 lumens with ~30 levels).

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    As far as I know the lens actually foces the light of the led, so more light gies forward. If you take of the lens then more light goes to the sides, which is good when using a reflector, because this collimated the light going to the sides. Intrestingly the de-doming also increaes the lux when using an aspheric (at least in the varapowers case).

Compared to the de-domed SR90 the Varapower does the same lux with a smaller reflector and more lumens. The special things about this light are the heatsinking (led soldered directly onto massive copper heatsink) and the Varacontrol (1 to 2000 lumens with ~30 levels).
    My VaraPower Turbo V2 is also de-domed.

I did not dedome the TK70 though, as that light currently fills a role for its particular combination of flood and throw...so I don't WANT it to be different right now...plus, I have no experience with dedomed multi-emitter scenarios.

I WOULD like to do it just as an experiment...but, It might end up with me needing to buy yet another light.... (Like THAT ever happens...)

The SR90's role was throw with a large hot spot, and dedoming it emphasized that performance for that role.

I JUST got the VPTV2 though, so I have not had a chance to really test it out. I lost the Lambda Light 3D I used to like, out on a job site...and wanted to replace it.

Flashaholic

Hi Glenn

I reckon there's something wrong with my ST90 ... I got it a couple of weeks ago, and not only does it flicker intermittently sometimes, but it is not much of a thrower. My Sunwayman T40CS easily out-threw it.

Yesterday I de-domed mine as well - it now will out-throw my Sunwayman, but its still nothing spectacular.

Just wondering how yours is going, and whether you've taken it apart of clean up the contacts or anything?

I've gotten instructions from Wayne and removed the LED module in mine and tightened things up and cleaned contacts ... fixed the flickering for a while but its starting to happen again.

Not happy with mine, but being in SA its pretty costly to ship back for him to have a look at.

Flashaholic*

Hmmm sorry to hear that you have problems with yours I wonder if its maybe a battery protection thing? but there must be a bad connection somewhere.

I have a Shadow MJ26 (it is said to have the same reflector as Sunwayman T40CS and throw) and I am really impressed with it for the size/output (way worth the $$ IMO) - it reminds me of what everybody is trying to do with 26650 hosts and sawn off 1 D maglites but way cheaper and way better made with further throw - but my ST90 still kicks its butt, hope you find the prob mate.

Might see if I can get some shot comparison up when I get some time.
    Last edited by Glenn7; 12-11-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCLumens
    Yes I own both and they are both awesome. Olight has a brighter hotspot and a bit more throw