Big Guns - Olight SR90 or Fenix TK70

RCLumens

Enlightened
Does anyone actually own both? Input would be great - looking for a big gun - What throws farther and is a better light?

380long

Newly Enlightened
I went TK70 also and have been very pleased with the light, can't help you on the SR90. Everyone who see's the TK70 is left in total awe they can't believe a light can be that bright and I like that it has other modes also so it's not a one trick pony.

bpollard

Newly Enlightened
TK70. i bought it lasy year and it's awesome! the main reason was cost. very similar lux readings from various sources and slightly more lumens. have also used the strobe mode for a party in the paddock :)
i spot animals eyes over 400m away and see the animal between 250 and 300 through the scope of the rifle.
from what i've read though the Varapower turbo has a few more lux, not sure on price though

jwyj

Enlightened
I am thinking if you should skip the aboveflashlights and go straight to Olight X6.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have both the Olight SR90 and the Fenix TK70.

The SR90 throws further with a tighter beam, but with a large spill that does allow you to be able to see where you're going, as well as what's off in the distance.

The TK70 throws a massive wall of less focused light, but not quite as far.

I really like both lights, and depending on your use for them, either could be perfect.

Its a lot easier to use/charge the SR90, and the battery indicator lights work perfectly to allow you to check run time left, etc. I had to buy NiMH D cells/charger to use the TK70....which is a hidden cost if you don't already have those items. On the plus side for the TK70, adding another 4 D cells is about the cost of having an extra battery pack send by Olight if purchased new...but considerably cheaper than if you were to buy a new SR90 battery pack separately.

That means that once you have the charger, you can add all the run time you want by just getting more D cells (Tenergy Premium - White - 10 Amp work best I find).

The SR90 pack recharges quickly, and can be charged by your rig's cig lighter, etc...so, in practice, as both lights have great run times, its rare to actually run out...but if concerned, the adding of D cells for the TK70 is easier than getting a second pack for the SR90.

I do emergency response work, and use both lights...and if the range is less than 300-400 yards, the TK70 is a better choice for me at least...as it covers a wider area with a large hot spot.

If the range is 400+ yards, I need the SR90 to get enough lux on target to resolve what I'm looking for...as the large dispersed TK70 beam is out of meaningful range. I eventually de-domed the SR90 to maximize that ability.

I just got a Varapower Turbo V2, but, by "just", I mean yesterday....so I have not had a chance to do comparative beam shots (Its raining).

:D

Olight SR90 shot down a Power Line Right of Way (the telephone poles are 73 meters apart from each other, for scale):

7063074811_8890a95a24_z.jpg

Same scene, with Fenix TK70:

7063067525_7be8939817_z.jpg

6917000782_63f4653abf_z.jpg

TK70 shot at tree at 405 M distance

7063080461_130dd5a412_z.jpg

SR90 Shot at same tree at 405 M distance.

7063080073_e9ecaf33ac_z.jpg

Reference shot of same tree from unzoomed perspective (SR90 Shot)

So, you can see what I mean about the differences in lighting...close up, the TK70 is more useful...you light up a wide area at once, and can still see out pretty far. (Look at the telephone poles..and how brightly the two lights render them)

In the ~ 300 M range, the TK70 is going to give you the whole field. Isee the poles, but also the path to the side, the towers, etc. If I had to tell if that 4-5th pole was there...or if a wounded person was laying on the ground further away than that...the TK70 would not help me as much, as the light reaching that far is not able to generate enough lux to resolve a bush from a man, but the SR90's more focused beam will do it if brought to bear on the target.

Two tools, each with strong points that lend them to different scenarios.

:D

Note the above pics are with a crappy point and shoot camera...and that in real life, the scene was very sharply rendered, and detail was easily discerned. So the much brighter pool of light off in the distance really illuminated what was out there a lot better than the two blurry pics would seem to indicate.

Last edited:

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Excellent post TEEJ!

I too have both, and am in 100% agreement with everything that TEEJ says above. I would only perhaps add that the ease of recharging the SR90 over that of the TK70 makes a pretty big difference to me. I've also noticed a significant parasitic drain with the TK70, that may indeed just be the batteries themselves, but my SP90 holds a charge like nobody's business!

Best regards,
John C.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I find it quite amazing that the SR90 still holds its own with current lights when its been around for over 2 years.
It looks like the Spark SP6 will be brighter and more compact than both the SR90 and TK70, but it looks unlikely to throw as well as the SR90.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Thank you all for the awesome information and to TEEJ for taking the time to post some great comparison shots. They certainly do justice. I have an RRT3 triple XML that puts out a wall of light and gets me pretty close to the 300yd mark... Up to 200-250 very clear. Right now, I'm leaning toward the SR91 because of the battery, but the different light output on the TK70 is certainly a strong argument. I want further distance than the RRT3 can give, but there's nothing like being able to conserve battery power in case the light needs to be used over longer periods... The SR90 also looks to be easier to carry. Again, I know that both lights are substantial in size and I could see the TK70 being used very easily resting on the shoulder - like a Mag... Any additional inputs on carrying these lights and which one is preferred would be great. Also, beamshots of that Varapower would be great to see when the rain stops... It just ended here yesterday, but we needed it to say the least! Thank you all again very much for this great feedback! Cheers - RC

357mag1

Enlightened
I have both lights. If you want simple the SR-90 is nice with the integrated battery pack and supplied charger. If the pack fails you are looking at around $100 to replace it. I like the option of using 3 or 4 quality D cells in the TK70.

Teej pretty well summed it up above with output comparisons. I will say the TK70 is more impressive as it easily beats the SR-90 in overall light output. In real life use the throw difference between the two is negligible.

Factoring in price the Tk70 wins hands down as I can get the light for about $180 compared to almost $400 for the SR-90. That does not take into account the cost of quality D cells and charger ($90-$100 more).

For my use I would much rather pay Lambda Lights $285 for a VPT2 than either of these lights. The VPT2 easily beats the SR-90 in throw even using 3D cells and when powered with 4C cells it stomps either light. The build quality is also much higher.
The VPT2 is smaller than either of these lights as well.

If you decide to go stock (TK70 or SR-90) PM me and I will hook you up with my favorite vendor with awesome prices.
Also the SR-90 has two modes, TK70 has 4 and the VPT2 has about thirty selectable with a rotary switch.
Here is a pic of all three:
largefl.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

357mag1

Enlightened
You could also go over to flashlightnews.net and look at the "VaraPower Turbo Ver 2.0" thread for some great beamshots if you find an interest in the VPT2.

RCLumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the great info 357mag1 ! I'll certainly PM when ready - also suggestions on batteries for the TK70 if I decide to go that route would be welcomed. I went to Lambda's site to look at the VPT2 and although it looks like an awesome light- the site says they're sold out. Also the warnings on running the light hot, etc... could be an issue. I would like to run these lights if needed for as long as 20-30 minutes on high. A couple of these cycles in one evening would be great also. Based on this info, the TK70 is moving into the top slot. Any additional info on your VPT2 would be great - the beamshots looked very impressive.

You could also go over to flashlightnews.net and look at the "VaraPower Turbo Ver 2.0" thread for some great beamshots if you find an interest in the VPT2.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone actually own both? Input would be great - looking for a big gun - What throws farther and is a better light?

The TK-70 will be one of my next lights to buy. I really like the fact that it runs up to 2,200 lumens with only 4 -D cell batteries! You can get D's anywhere, and cheap too if you buy them at the right place, or get rechargeables. D's have a lot going for them too, which is why they have traditionally been used to power flashlights, so I'm glad to see a major brand get back to using them. :)

The TK-70 gets pretty good battery life too, and it costs about $150 less than the Olight(last I checked)

The SR90 needs 6 - 18650's. That will cost you about $84-$120 for 6 decent quality 18650's! If you already have them, then its no big deal, but if not......... So the flashlight is $150 more + about $54-$90 extra for the 18650 batteries(compared with the cost of rechargeable D batteries), and the SR-90 will cost around $204-240 MORE than the TK-70!

To me, the TK-70 is the no-brainer choice of the two lights, but that's my opinion.....:thumbsup:

There's a third option though------ That would be the Nitecore TM-11 Tiny Monster. It runs up to 2,000lu, is very short and thick, and uses 3 XML's, and 4 18650's or 8 - Cr123's. It cost $260. Its cool and all, but it's the 4 -18650's thats the deal breaker for me. I still like the 4 -D's of the TK-70. You have to spend around $56-$80 for 4 decent quality 18650's, whereas you can get D's for a whole lot less. Rechargeable D's should be both easier to find, and made by major companies so they are probably safer too.

So the TK-70 = 1st choice, Nitecore TM-11 "Tiny Monster" = 2nd choice.

***However.....If money is no object, you dont care about how many or what type of batteries is involved, and throw is your number 1 priority, then the SR-90 is the way to go.

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
Thanks for the great info 357mag1 ! I'll certainly PM when ready - also suggestions on batteries for the TK70 if I decide to go that route would be welcomed. I went to Lambda's site to look at the VPT2 and although it looks like an awesome light- the site says they're sold out. Also the warnings on running the light hot, etc... could be an issue. I would like to run these lights if needed for as long as 20-30 minutes on high. A couple of these cycles in one evening would be great also. Based on this info, the TK70 is moving into the top slot. Any additional info on your VPT2 would be great - the beamshots looked very impressive.

I wouldn't worry too much about the VPT2 getting hot. All of these lights will get hot if left on full power. Even the TK41 which is much smaller and only has one XML led has a "Hot" warning on the head.

The Lambda Lights have the LED mounted directly to a huge copper slug for awesome heat dispersion. Something no stock light is going to have. If you are unlucky and your Fenix or Olight die outside of warranty good luck getting it repaired. With Lambda being here in the USA you would be out shipping and maybe the cost of a new LED. Just something to think about.

After my experience with Nitecore products I would never own another. Got a few dead ones if anyone needs paper weights.

The Lambda light will run just over 20 minutes on Max with quality C cells (Tenergy Premium) which will cost you just under $37 shipped to your door. The cool part is you can use 3D cells (recommend Tenergy Premiums) in the same light and have over an 1.5hours at the Max setting. Overall output will be less but it still out throws the SR-90 easily.

I loved my SR-90 and TK70 but both are over shadowed by the VPT2. I will try to get some comparison pictures up this weekend.

It is hard to go wrong with any of these lights. If I was looking for something with an even smaller format the XTAR S1 would be added to the list. I should have mine by this weekend and will add it to the beamshots. Of course selfbuilt and candle lamp have already reviewed that light much more thoroughly than I could.

357mag1

Enlightened
The TK-70 will be one of my next lights to buy. I really like the fact that it runs up to 2,200 lumens with only 4 -D cell batteries! You can get D's anywhere, and cheap too if you buy them at the right place, or get rechargeables. D's have a lot going for them too, which is why they have traditionally been used to power flashlights, so I'm glad to see a major brand get back to using them. :)

I'm probably telling you something you already know but don't think you will see full power in the TK70 or VPT2 using Alkaline D cells. Alkalines have way too much internal resistance tend to leak if you push them to hard. Not good in our expensive lights.

The TK70 would run on "Hi" but would not be able to provide the full 7amps (when using 4 cells, over 10amps with 3) needed on Turbo. It would be brighter than "Hi" mode but not near as bright as using 4 Nimh cells. Same applies to VPT2 at the higher settings.

So Alkalines could be used in a pinch but require some TLC.

lightphysics

Newly Enlightened
I too have both, and am in 100% agreement with everything that TEEJ says above. I would only perhaps add that the ease of recharging the SR90 over that of the TK70 makes a pretty big difference to me. I've also noticed a significant parasitic drain with the TK70, that may indeed just be the batteries themselves, but my SP90 holds a charge like nobody's business!

Flight Deck
I know someone that has the TK70. You want me to test it for the drain? Ideally, if I fond the SR90 too, I can give you a good comparison.

Flight_Deck

Enlightened
Flight Deck
I know someone that has the TK70. You want me to test it for the drain? Ideally, if I fond the SR90 too, I can give you a good comparison.

Thank you very much for the kind offer lightphysics, but I'll pass. I could check it myself as well, but it's such an awesome light, I'm still happy with it either way!

357mag1

Enlightened

I'm probably telling you something you already know but don't think you will see full power in the TK70 or VPT2 using Alkaline D cells. Alkalines have way too much internal resistance and tend to leak if you push them too hard. Not good in our expensive lights.

The TK70 would run on "Hi" but would not be able to provide the full 7amps (when using 4 cells, over 10amps with 3) needed on Turbo. It would be brighter than "Hi" mode but not near as bright as using 4 Nimh cells. Same applies to VPT2 at the higher settings.

So Alkalines could be used in a pinch but require some TLC.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I have some of the same night's shots againt the tiny monster and the RRT 3XML as well...if looking for a comparison on those:

7063065805_4f4ba7fdf3_z.jpg

Tiny Monster TM11

6917001352_927e37b452_z.jpg

Tiny Monster - Zoomed on same tree

6917005480_fb1a09cd7c_z.jpg

RRT 3 XML zoomed to same tree