BlackShadow

Thread: Waking up new old-stock Eneloops

Default Waking up new old-stock Eneloops

Hi guys,
    First post, long time reader.

I have bought myself a good supply of Eneloop AA's actually they are the white topped "Duraloops" which are re-badged Eneloops.
    I learned to read the date codes here on the forum and these come out as July 2007. They are new in the packets but five years old, so I guess the older 1000 recharge types. They were good value but they are old (but new). I also have bought myself a Maha C9000, again from my reading here.
    I have seen many post saying that the Eneloops are very forgiving and to just start using them normally, others suggesting to give them the Maha's break in cycle (and slight overcharge). These have been on the shelf for around five years so....

My question: What would be the best way to "wake them up" for their first charge and discharge cycles. Slow break in or normal charging?

Default Re: Waking up new old-stock Eneloops

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but there was a huge lot of new-old-stock (~3 yrs old) Duraloops to come up for sale on 'Shnoop' a year or so ago, with many CPFers purchasing and testing them. There was most likely some discussion along the lines of your query then. Check out these search results for starters, hope this helps some?
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

Flashaholic

I bought some "Shnoopaloops" as well. After an initial discharge each got a 16 hour .1C break in charge (In a battery adapter used for a WA 1185 hotwire light) using my hobby charger. Not too long ago I bought a Maha C9000. The Maha break in cycle followed by a discharge and another break in cycle perked them up and I got a bump in mAh for almost all cells. If they were my cells, I would discharge them on the C9000 (If they are not empty from self discharge) and run them through a break in. repeat the discharge and break in cycles until capacity no longer improves by 10% or better (Document capacity readings). Then use and enjoy!
    Last edited by Quest4fire; 04-24-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Flashaholic*

It wouldn't be surprising if you get close to 1950 mAh with these cells. My 2 years since purchased, 3 or 4 year old cells, still seem to be holding on to most of their capacity. Eneloops / Duraloops / and Imedions too.

Thanks guys. Amazingly, they still have a good ~65-70% capacity charge in them - not sure how? Anyway, will get on with giving them the 0.1c break in cycle on the Maha. These weren't on Shnoop - haven't heard of that one. Just a deal of the day type site in Australia. Great value though - $39 for a box of 24 AA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordo65 View Post
    Thanks guys. Amazingly, they still have a good ~65-70% capacity charge in them - not sure how? Anyway, will get on with giving them the 0.1c break in cycle on the Maha. These weren't on Shnoop - haven't heard of that one. Just a deal of the day type site in Australia. Great value though - $39 for a box of 24 AA.
    ? The point of eneloops is that they're LSD.
    The discharge is not linear, and generally the discharge rate is very very low once the capacity is less than 70%.

My 3-year old "Shnoopaloops" provided me runtimes of ~75% with their existing charge level (i.e. prior to me charging them) when I rec'd them, really amazing if you think about it. I have a 6-year old set of NIP Eneloop AAA's, when they are 10 years old I'm going to send them to someone for analysis on their remaining capacity. Stay tuned, lol.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill