Best Thrower, Powerful, More Lux, More Lumen...got confused!!!

torva_lupus

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am reading all these threads for best thrower, most powerful, more lumen, more lux, more and best etc etc... and I am totally confused at the end.

Well the best thrower isnt the one that has more lux?

what do you mean about powerful? lux or lumen?

What about the size?

so what about to complete a chart as follows?

1. More Lux, size matters...............................
2. More Lux, size doesnt matter......................
3. More Lumen, size matters...........................
4. More Lumen, size doesnt matter..................

any ideas/proposals?

Thank you in advance

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
I'm no expert at all but I believe Lux is a measure of beam intensity, so for throwers you're looking for high lux, but it's not magic, a high output will help lix if it is well focussed, when you say size you mean overall size? Doesn't necessarily matter, just may effect output due to amount of batteries etc, size of head can have an effect on throw.

torva_lupus

Newly Enlightened
I'm no expert at all but I believe Lux is a measure of beam intensity, so for throwers you're looking for high lux, but it's not magic, a high output will help lix if it is well focussed, when you say size you mean overall size? Doesn't necessarily matter, just may effect output due to amount of batteries etc, size of head can have an effect on throw.

by size I mean overall length...sorry I missed this one.

Somnophore

Newly Enlightened
An led needs power to drive it, more length means more batteries, more electrical output,
More lumens. Throw is based on how well the beam I focussed.

I have an ultrafire wf502b noticibly brighter than my lenser P7 which is only 200lumes, however the lenser has a focusable head and can throw that light a lot further than the ultrafire, the UF will light up whole field, the P7 won't but can be focussed on a tree in the next one, what's the budget? You want smaller size?

torva_lupus

Newly Enlightened
An led needs power to drive it, more length means more batteries, more electrical output,
More lumens. Throw is based on how well the beam I focussed.

I have an ultrafire wf502b noticibly brighter than my lenser P7 which is only 200lumes, however the lenser has a focusable head and can throw that light a lot further than the ultrafire, the UF will light up whole field, the P7 won't but can be focussed on a tree in the next one, what's the budget? You want smaller size?

Well more or less same length as Klarus XT11 and DEFT-edc LR+

Draven451

Enlightened
Here are some simple explanations:

Lumens - measures the total amount of light, independent of distribution, emitted from a light source.

Lux - is a measure of illumination of a surface at a distance.

With increasing technology size is not always a clear indicator of "the bigger the better" philosophy.

Two good examples of this:

Nitecore TM11 "tiny monster" - This light is the size of a soda can (length 135mm, head diam - 60mm, body diam - 50mm) and on turbo mode can produce 2000 lumens and run for over an hour at this level! I don't know of any other commercially manufactured light with this small form factor that can produce that amount of light. So in this instance size does not matter as it is small yet can produce tremendous amounts of light! So this light is designed mainly for flood to fill up a room with light while still providing some throw with 20k cd.

Deft EDC LR+ - This light is also very small approximately 135mm in length, head diam- 33.6mm and body diam - 25.08mm. This is also a small form factor light which you can put in your pocket. I'm not sure of the lumen output, maybe 200 lumens but this was not designed for that purpose. This light was designed to out throw anything else in its class at this size. This light produces approximately 76k cd! The beam is a pencil narrow beam that can easily place a beam of the LED die on objects 1,000 ft or further with no issues. With my LR+ I have been hitting objects at 1500-2000 ft :)

davyro

Enlightened
As draven said if you want a thrower its the lux you should be looking for not the lumen.Ill give you an example my DBS T with a XML led puts out 700 lumen it throws very good & has a very good spill.When i put my DBS T head with an XRE led it produces about 300 lumen but the throw with the XRE is fantastic.

torva_lupus

Newly Enlightened
I have the following flashlights:

- Klarus XT11
- Electrolumen EDC XML (just ordered)
- Electrolumen Big Bruiser (just ordered)

and I am looking to buy the OMG DEFT edc LR+ but I cant find it as it is out of stock, any idea where I can buy it from? is there any other flashlight with similar specs?

Draven451

Enlightened
The Deft edc LR+ was a limited edition run and is no longer in production. You may be able to find one on the secondary market if someone is willing to part with theirs. I know I wouldn't :sssh:

I also own the Dereelight DBS-T XR-E R2 EZ900 Aspheric which is my other favorite flashlight for throw. It is longer and has a bigger head than the deft edc lr+ so it is not quite as easily carried in your pocket.Last weekend I was able to test both lights on a lux light meter. The DBS-T was hitting 117-119k cd! Very impressive considering the small form factor and is very reasonably priced. Looks like a laser beam the light is so concentrated at night!

There are many threads recently about this light if you do a search. Here is one thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...BS-T-XR-E-R2-EZ900-Aspheric-First-Impressions

I'm not sure if you are in the US but if you are there is a company called flashlightconnection that sells the Dereelight already setup with the aspherical lens and Jay the owner who is also a CPF vendor is very friendly and quick at responding to questions. The light is $94 usd and very quick shipping.

So if you are looking for another option that is designed entirely just for throw with absolutely no spill that would be my recommendation.

torva_lupus

Newly Enlightened
I have head so many things about the DEFT edc LR+ but as far as it is not available for sale what can it be the replacement flashlight?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
That's about it for that class of aspheric thrower.

There are larger lights that can throw like crazy due to shear horsepower and head size, etc....

But, at this point, its probably easier if you say what you want the light to DO for you...IE: What did you want to use it for...and have us recomend lights that fit the role.

Right now, you are analogous to talking to a room full of car nuts, and wanting to know if torque is better than horsepower. :party:

The DEFT edc LR+ and the Deerelight are great, I have both for example. The Deft is pocketable, the Deerelight is too big to fit in my pocket, as it has a big head.

The Lambda Light VaraPower Turbo V2 has production runs, you could get your name on a list, and when they do a run, they'll make you one.

The Olight SR90 throws like a MoFo. Olight just came out with a new large light that out performs the SR90

ElektroLumens has the ST90 now, another large thrower.

And so forth.

Depending on your budget, and objectives, there are always many options...but only some of the options will work best in some scenarios.

:D

As you mentioned the Klarus XT11 and DEFT edc LR+ as a size target....the Deerelight's about the only other aspheric thrower game in town size-wise though...and even it is too large if you have a problem with the head.

Last edited: