SunwayLED
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast

Thread: Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in ALL GONE (For Now)

Default Re: Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in Pre-Sale

I have to admit that I have been wondering about how people planned to power these things, and more importantly how they were going to handle the heat. In my 6P, a 3.7V incan assembly running at less than 2.5A generates a considerable amount of heat even if I've got my hand placed just-so to sink it as well as possible. Those people planning to run units with currents higher than 3A are going to find that they're holding a small heater after a few minutes, not to mention suffer with runtimes less than an hour. If that's what you're expecting and you're OK with that, well that's up to you, but personally I think 3A is probably the happy medium. I chose a little less than that so that I'll still get an hour runtime even as my 18650s age and reduce in capacity, and the flux will still be considerable... Kudos to Matt for providing a product where this degree of choice is available.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I have to admit that I have been wondering about how people planned to power these things, and more importantly how they were going to handle the heat. In my 6P, a 3.7V incan assembly running at less than 2.5A generates a considerable amount of heat even if I've got my hand placed just-so to sink it as well as possible. Those people planning to run units with currents higher than 3A are going to find that they're holding a small heater after a few minutes, not to mention suffer with runtimes less than an hour. If that's what you're expecting and you're OK with that, well that's up to you, but personally I think 3A is probably the happy medium. I chose a little less than that so that I'll still get an hour runtime even as my 18650s age and reduce in capacity, and the flux will still be considerable... Kudos to Matt for providing a product where this degree of choice is available.
    That's fair. Barring ang glaring surprises with the output results Matt is working on, I'm still sticking with just over 4 amps for 2 reasons. Firstly, I see the current triple and quad emitter setups as being about raw output vs runtime. If I was all about runtime I'd stick with a single emitter drop in. Secondly, the drop in I've ordered is an LMH one. With the triple that I currenty own, I've found that the 30% medium is good for 99% of tasks, with high being pretty much reserved for bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    COOLY body and 26650

besides, there are lower modes.... one does not simply run the light on high in a small body.
    if killing was legal, i would have killed countless number of people...

So I had an accident with the silver nitrate. Will be like this for a few weeks :

Now because I can't start building the drop-ins until my order of silicone wire arrives (Monday fingers crossed!) I can only keep plating the drop-ins. Here's some eye candy to help you through these dark times:

Expect serious progress to be made this week.

Thanks for sticking by.

- Matt
    Last edited by Mattaus; 05-19-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Looking good! Sorry about your hand.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

so shiny...

if only there was some kind of transparent flashlight

Can't wait, thank you for the great communication throughout.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Default Re: Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in Expressions of interest

for 2 extra optics 10507 Clear narrow/ 10509 frosted wide.

I guess this way I can lego this dropin depending on my nights plans.

Thanks!!
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Default Re: Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in Expressions of interest

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    for 2 extra optics 10507 Clear narrow/ 10509 frosted wide.

I guess this way I can lego this dropin depending on my nights plans.

Thanks!!
    Money received

Now for some great news. Literally everything arrived in one big hit this morning.

I will start building drop-ins tonight. Please be aware (as I stated in the original post) that this is not my full time job, and that I live a fairly active life (I play a lot of sport) and as such I am working the building of these drop-ins around my prior commitments. Not to say that I'll put them off all the time - just please do not expect me to build 20 a week!

I will be building in order of payment received (only fair I think) and hope to knock out at least 2 or 3 a night so long as it all goes smoothly. There always seems to be something that comes up!

Shipment may not occur immediately as the epoxy takes 24hours to set and then there is a bit of work involved in packing them up and printing all the required labeling. I will notify you all as your orders are shipped.

The important thing to take from all this? If you want to change your max drive current, NOW is the time to do it.

Thanks,

- Matt

Rad!
    I'll keep mine @4.5 unless u test em & find that 4.2 is essentially the same.

Although that might mean waiting for yer light meter to arrive
    I'm ok with that if someone wants take my spot in line.

Thanks!

Ive been torn back and forth with the drive current issue and finally decided what I want. Trying to find the best balance of output and runtime. Put mine one chip less than the 4.12A. That should be 3.8A correct? I promise not to change it again.

Quote Originally Posted by kyhunter1 View Post
    Ive been torn back and forth with the drive current issue and finally decided what I want. Trying to find the best balance of output and runtime. Put mine one chip less than the 4.12A. That should be 3.8A correct? I promise not to change it again.
    Yes that is correct. I've locked it in.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    I'll keep mine @4.5 unless u test em & find that 4.2 is essentially the same.

Although that might mean waiting for yer light meter to arrive.
    No need to wait...that came this morning as well. Just need to get a few different drop-ins together first then I'll provide a reading of the lux for each power level above (and including) 3A, together with the respective optics and at start-up and after 40 seconds or something like that? Not sure when I'll get the time, but it will be done this week and before I build yours psychbeat.

Cool beans?

Well my Fivemega host arrived this morning, so seeing as I'm first in line I should be happily pumping High CRI lumens in short order

Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    Well my Fivemega host arrived this morning, so seeing as I'm first in line I should be happily pumping High CRI lumens in short order
    I notice my list says you wanted 4.18A. Is this correct?

- Matt

Oh FFS.

The wire the company sent me (last time they'll ever have to send me anything) is no thinner than what I already have, which means it won't fit through the center hole of my blanks. This is very annoying

I'll find appropriate wire and get it shipped as fast as humanly possible.

Apologies for this. I'm very sorry for the delay. I'll spend tonight modifying drivers so little delay as possible occurs when the new wire arrives. I can't believe the wire of all things has caused me the most grief

- Matt

EDIT: Hopefully I don't speak too soon but this issue will be resolved tomorrow as soon as I get to work. I have found a colleague with a source of suitable wire so I wont even have to wait for shipping.

P.S. Anyone need 12m of 24 AWG silicone wire lol? I'm sure I can find a use for it one day!!!
    Last edited by Mattaus; 05-21-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattaus View Post
    I notice my list says you wanted 4.18A. Is this correct?

- Matt
    Absolutely.

Sorry to hear about the wire. Jerks.

A VERY informal test with the LUX meter held about 45cm from the drop-in on high @4.18A gives me 34000Lux with a 10507 optic. The drop-in also gets very hot after about 30 seconds. Too hot to touch. Keep in mind this is not in a host and not moving either. Definitely no air flow either and is a good sign for thermal transfer. This thing will be a beast in a good host.

- Matt

Anyone who plans on using a high of 4.2A for anything but short bursts is expecting alot from this drop-in. Even with great or near perfect thermo-management, that's alot to ask of a light.

I am choosing for the 4.2A rather than 3A simply because when I want super bright, battery life is not my primary concern. And when run time is an issue, I won't ever be running full current. Problem solved.

jay
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    Anyone who plans on using a high of 4.2A for anything but short bursts is expecting alot from this drop-in. Even with great or near perfect thermo-management, that's alot to ask of a light.

I am choosing for the 4.2A rather than 3A simply because when I want super bright, battery life is not my primary concern. And when run time is an issue, I won't ever be running full current. Problem solved.

jay
    Yeah that's well observed. I think most people here have weighed up their options and are either going down the route of larger batteries and specialized hosts, or reducing their intended output for use with 'regular' cells.

It's good to have the option for a super bright high anyway because it's better to have it than not at all

- Matt

the last time they sent you anything indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by chesterqw View Post
    the last time they sent you anything indeed.
    Thankfully a minor blip. I have sourced the wire I need from work and will get onto making more as soon as time allows it. Tomorrow night is unfortunately a write off (I won't be home until midnight) and Wednesday is State of Origin night.

GO THE MIGHTY MAROONS!!!!

If I'm not intoxicated after the game I'll get straight to work!

- Matt

30 second bursts on high when needed, is more than needed. If you think 4.5 v would get too hot too fast, you can drop mine down too the 4 - 4.2v area.
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Flashaholic*

Are these still available to order? If so, I'd like the following and will Paypal ASAP. Please let me know. Thank you.

CPF Handle: flashfiend

1x Driver 1 L/M/H @ 3.8A 10507
    1x 10510 optic
    Total: $127
    Last edited by flashfiend; 05-21-2012 at 08:08 AM.
    Fiend got into light re-hab. Getting out for now

I also would like to know if these are still available? if so I would like - Driver 2 (Moonlight) L/M/H @4.2A no memory 10507 10511 10508 10509. Let me know PayPal instructions and I will make payment right away after you let me know. Thanks -

Dan Bleznak
    dbleznak@gmail.com

Btw. to raise your appetite... i've received a Drop-in from nailbender using this emitter like a week ago and i just love it. The color rendition is sooo nice, never thought this would be possible with a LED.
    Can't wait to put one of these Babies in my yet-to-arrive FM 26650 Cooly.

flashfiend and bdleznak these are still available yes. PayPal instructions are in the first post but basically include your CPF username and your order exactly as you have written them above and send payment to modern69messiah{at}gmail{dot}com. (sorry, trying to avoid any potential spam though it's probably a waste of time!)

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    30 second bursts on high when needed, is more than needed. If you think 4.5 v would get too hot too fast, you can drop mine down too the 4 - 4.2v area.
    Depends what host you're using it in. Anything with decent fining (Cryos bezel, Cooly and so on) will have no problems with this heat wise at 4.5A. I tested a 3A module in a stock C2 head and didn't even feel it warm up, though that wasn't a very long test and I don't have that body on me at the moment.

Also I just randomly choked on my breakfast and spat milk all over my keyboard

I've got bored 6p, C2 and FiveMega body for 18650's And stock heads. Both clickie and stock tailcaps too. I used to run a Vannisledsm quad, in a bored C2 with no problems so I should be fine. That was 5.6 amps of wowsa

Ps, eat slower, the foods not going anywhere
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

I got hold of the wire I require (poet and I don't even know it blah blah). It makes things MUCH better to work with and looks cleaner than previous work. I just need to nail down my procedure to decrease working time a bit. Wiring the LEDs takes me longer than modifying the drivers!

- Matt

Flashaholic

Hi Matt,

Can I get mine reduced to 4.2 A if possible? If not, that is fine.

Cheers,
    Nova

"I am not a Collector" - Tim

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast