Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in ALL GONE (For Now)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattaus View Post
    That could work...I'll PM you my address if you like?
    Go for it.

Default Re: Nichia SW45B10L 219 Triple P60 Drop-in Expressions of interest

See Original Post for beam shots.
    Last edited by Mattaus; 05-02-2012 at 07:48 AM.

Also...I've updated some details on driver 2. I found a second version of it that is identical except for the low drive level. I have updated the specs on the first page (and calculated the levels as a percentage instead of a current). Other than the low mode everything else about the driver is identical.

- Drive levels 0.16% (firefly) or 1.6% (moonlight), 30% and 100%

Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    Go for it.
    Your inbox is full :-(

Very nice!

If you compare different drive levels it would be interesting to see beamshots taken on power on and after 1 minute of runtime to see how much the heat lowers output.

Thank you!

Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by JoVo View Post
    If you compare different drive levels it would be interesting to see beamshots taken on power on and after 1 minute of runtime to see how much the heat lowers output.
    I'll do this once the prototype host is completed. No sense in testing heat versus power output on a CPU heat sink.

Again this should hopefully be by Friday. So much is coming together this week it's not funny!!!

Updating to;
    Driver 2, L/M/H, 1.6% (moonlight), 30% and 100%, memory, 4.12 amp
    10507, extra 10509 if available

Looking good
    Last edited by Thatspec; 05-01-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Mattaus, I'm curious to know your opinion (perhaps it is not yet formed) about which optic would provide the best "general use" light. That is, what is going to be enough flood/spill for walking, but also enough lux to give meaningful throw? There doesn't necessarily have to be that much flood/spill if the hotspot is wide enough, in my opinion, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I have a Malkoff dropin from several years that seems to be a nice balance, but I have not idea what kind of optic is in it.

I'd like to please update my order to:-

Driver 2: L/M/H with memory 4.5A (Firefly low) 10507 Optics.
    Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

Update

Driver 1 L/M/H 5% / 30% / 100%, 10507 optic (narrow clear), 4.5A

Damn this thing is looking better all the time....must resist....

I'm not updating as I realize I didn't even choose anything yet, so I want :

Driver 1 - L/M/H 5% / 30% / 100%, 10507 optic (narrow clear), 4.5A

While I just love Moonlight or even Firefly, I reserve them for my not that powerfull lights. If I use a Triple, it should deliver on Low everything I need for normal use, on medium enough for about everything and on high it must impress other people and give me that special feeling that you also know...
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Updating to: Driver 2, L/M/H, 1.6% (moonlight), 30% and 100%, memory, 4.2 amp @ 100%, 10507 optic
    Last edited by OtisCampbell; 05-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.

I'd be interested in a Driver 2 - Drive levels 0.16% (firefly), 30% and 100% 10507 frosted narrow optic
    No memory, so it always starts in low
    4.5 amps would be the 1100 emitter lumens right? That sounds good to me

Edit: Low med High
    Last edited by CarpentryHero; 05-01-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Order of modes
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

in for, Driver 1 - L/M/H 5% / 30% / 100% @ 4.5A, 10507 optic

Just woke up and feeling groggy from playing a backs-to-the-wall game of footy last night in the pouring rain...I'll respond to and update requests a little later on once I've properly woken up haha!

All right put me down!

Driver 2
    No Memory
    L/M/H/L/M/H/Aux0/Aux1/Aux2/Aux3
    L-Firefly (0.16%)
    H- 4.5A
    Probably 10507 clear optic.
    maybe a 10509 wide frosted optic if they can be swapped easily.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ToyTank; 05-01-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    I'm in for one, Driver #2, H/M/L, no memory, 4.5A. Waiting on beamshots to pick an optic.
    Driver #2, H/M/L=1.6%, no memory, 4.5A, with 10510, and a 10507 on the side.

All interest 'orders' (not really orders yet) have been updated. The list is getting long...

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Mattaus, I'm curious to know your opinion (perhaps it is not yet formed) about which optic would provide the best "general use" light. That is, what is going to be enough flood/spill for walking, but also enough lux to give meaningful throw? There doesn't necessarily have to be that much flood/spill if the hotspot is wide enough, in my opinion, but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I have a Malkoff dropin from several years that seems to be a nice balance, but I have not idea what kind of optic is in it.
    I will hopefully post one shot of each optic shining into my back yard. I back onto bushland and there are some trees and a garden shed on the left and right halfway between the house and the bush. This should give a good indication of how much spill and throw each optic will give. You'd think the frosted medium or narrow, but my money is on the clear narrow. Triples are inherently floody as is.

This all being said I've got a metric tonne of photos to take. I have the DSLR in my hands now so I at least know I won't have any photography issues this time!

I'm trying to fix up my Driver 2 that I upped to 5.6A. I removed the necessary ICs but it won't push above 3A now. I think it's because it looks as if there is some thermal protection built into these as well. Will update when I know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattaus View Post
    Just woke up and feeling groggy from playing a backs-to-the-wall game of footy last night in the pouring rain
    Okay - I'm a Canadian living in the USA, so there are some terms that have a British background (Commonwealth) that I know - but I have only a very vauge idea of what you are referring to above. Nuff said, too much beer with supper. Really looking forward to this.

In my response to question above on general use optics, my experience is "wall of light", the narrow is pretty good mix of flood & throw - not as much of a hot spot, so that is my preference. Everything from there is more flood.

Flashaholic

Update to driver 1, L,M,H with memory, 4.5a, narrow, clear optics

Thanks
    Last edited by Not So Bright; 05-02-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nfetterly View Post
    Okay - I'm a Canadian living in the USA, so there are some terms that have a British background (Commonwealth) that I know - but I have only a very vauge idea of what you are referring to above.
    Down under 'Footy' can refer to Rugby, Rugby league, Aussie Rules or Soccer. I should really refer to the footy I played last night as soccer (and the grogginess is more to do with the celebratory drinks we had after than the game itself) but I used to play Rugby League as well and old habits die hard

In other news the Driver 2 example I had won't play ball right now. I'll wait till I go home, strip the whole driver bare and re-solder every IC independently. It was ramping up in 380mA increments nicely but kept giving up on me just below 3A.

I could have added enough ICs to make it 10A and it still wouldn't push over 3.

I KNOW these drivers work though because they are the same drivers that Vihn uses in his drop-ins, so no concern there.

Mattaus,

What configuration would you recommend for "the most" versatile or well-rounded light possible?

At the moment, the only things I've decided on are L/M/H and 10507 optic.
    Last edited by sadboy; 05-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sadboy View Post
    Mattaus,

Could you come up with a "standard" configuration and list it as my tentative choice? I have a range of what I think I want. I just haven't finalized a decision as of yet (I'm a noob).

The thing I'm looking for is to make it as versatile or well-rounded as possible, as though it will be the only light I'll use.

The only thing I can decide on with a greater degree of certainty is L/M/H and 10507 optic.
    Well that nails down just about everything. I'd go with the moonlight driver at 4A with no memory. Moonlight because it's more useable light than the Firefly driver (though it is still fairly dim) and 4.18A just because you won't really notice the difference between that and 4.5A, and you'll save a tad bit of power and produce less heat - almost a negligible difference really. I prefer no memory because then I know what mode it'll start in every time. Horses for courses though.
    Last edited by Mattaus; 05-01-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Mattaus - I've cleared my inbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Henk_Lu View Post
    I'm not updating as I realize I didn't even choose anything yet, so I want :

Driver 1 - L/M/H 5% / 30% / 100%, 10507 optic (narrow clear), 4.5A

While I just love Moonlight or even Firefly, I reserve them for my not that powerfull lights. If I use a Triple, it should deliver on Low everything I need for normal use, on medium enough for about everything and on high it must impress other people and give me that special feeling that you also know...
    I just had a look at the beamshots and I want to switch to the 10511 optic (narrow frosted). Sorry for the inconvenience, but according to your answer to sadboy above about the current I also want to reduce the current to 4,18A...

In short : Driver 1 - L/M/H 5% / 30% / 100%, 10511 optic (narrow frosted), 4.18A

Thanks for your understanding!
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Since people are being specific, I might as well join in...

Driver 2
    No Memory
    L/M/H/L/M/H/Aux0/Aux1/Aux2/Aux3
    L= Moonlight (1.6%)
    H= 4.18A
    10507 and 10509 optics

Rightio then!

Been busy with the camera and have included photos comparing the different optics in various way. These pictures have been added to the first post. In short:

1) I have shot the optics using 4.5A drivers.

2) White balance is set to Daylight.

3) I have ordered the optics so it goes narrow clear - narrow frosted - medium frosted - medium wide - then elliptical so it's easier to see how each differentiate.

4) Please ignore the perceived tint shift at 4.5A. There is no difference to my eye. The reason the light appears different is because high is lighting the room much more so you can see more of the very light grey wall around it. That's all it is.

5) When looking at the backyard beam shots I find the best way to see the differences in each is to look at the detail in objects to the left and right of the photos.

6) As I mentioned previously all the triples are inherently floody. There is a big dip in the ground immediately in front of where the light was mounted, so the light is elevated about 1m above the ground you can see in the picture - in actuality it's at the same level as the top of the fence. The reason I mention this is because the ground in front of the light seems very shiny, almost as if the bulk of the light is hitting the ground. It's not. The ground was wet from dew.

So there you have it. Let me know what you think!

In other news I've given up on modifying the Driver 2 example I had. It's too far gone to be reliable for testing. I do however have a whole load of the Firefly and Moonlight drivers on the way already. I do not see any reason to believe that the output of either driver will be any different. They use exactly the same ICs. the only difference is in the control circuit. At high, both drivers are direct drive, so if there is any difference it will only be noticeable in the lower settings. I will endeavor to get comparative beam shots up once I have the new drivers, but cannot guarantee I will have these before the pre-sale starts.

Also my brother has successfully completed his silver electroplating tests and they look fantastic. It's overkill but we're aiming for an almost chrome like finish. Stay tuned for pics later this week

Thanks!

- Matt

Let's do this!!! Paypal at the ready!
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Hi!
    Looks good!
    Please, put me on interest list... driver 1, L/M/H 3A , narrow clear optic.
    Thanks,
    Mikis

Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast