Reccomend a light for a hard-working handyman who is ROUGH on tools

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks, I'm looking for a flashlight for my Dad, who I affectionately call "the tool destroyer." He's incredibly rough on tools, and somehow managed to break the switch on a Fenix TK11. Still trying to figure out how he did that.

He seems to like his Fenix headlamp a lot, but it's also starting to develop some issues: he's worn out the strap, and most lights inevitably end up in the center console of his truck, with keys, change, and small tools--and he's then surprised when they start having issues.

I wish I could be more specific about the footprint size of the light. All I know is that his TK45 as it was "just too bright" and too big to carry, and he was" concerned he'd break it."

Format: 1-2 AA, or 1-2 123a. Also looking at headlamps, but unsure.
Clip: prefer something that could be clipped to a baseball cap. He wears one all the time, so a single-cell light like this might replace his headlamp.
Tail stand: Yes. He needs something that will function as a lantern under a sink.
Price: $60-$150. I 'd prefer something not "expensive looking" as I want to get him something he'll actually use and not just end up handing back to me. This is partially to keep my own lights safe!

Lumen output: somewhere in the 200 range. It must be able to sustain high output, as he runs his Fenix lights on Turbo all the time.

I'll edit this list and try to make it clearer when I'm in front of a computer, just wanted to get it up there.

Via iPhone & Tapatalk

Last edited:

NOREAT

Newly Enlightened
Surefire E2DL or 6PX Pro are the two that come to mind for your Dad, but any Surefire, Elzetta, Malkoff, or HDS would be suitable.

EDIT: The E2D can tailstand, the 6PX cannot. HDS makes some that can tailstand, and Surefire also has options, especially for their E-series.

Last edited:

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
maybe instead of "find a light" you should "find a warranty"? Surefire/Quarks (i hear) have great warranties. A Quark AA2 will fit the bill perfectly...if the lumens can be a little lower (100ish) then the quark AA will work too?

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
I would like to see him try to break an HDS light (many on this forum have tried). I own the HDS Rotary, at 200 lum in an RCR format and there is nothing like it. Although, my Quark AA has been ran through the washing machine and dryer (full cycles) with only some scratches in the ano. 4sevens has excellent customer service.

Good luck with your search :candle:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get him a Peak Logan in SS and figure out a pocket clip. Then a Solarforce L2P with a neutral drop-in that'll take 6v. Either can take some abuse, Peak warrants them forever, and the SS ones are bombproof.

ToyTank

Enlightened
I like the Zebralight SC51 or H51. H51 is a head lamp you can use as a right angle light. Well in your price range and quite tough. The "natural" anodizing on them seem really tough to me. Easy to buy spare strap I think for $7 shipped if he destroys it but mine has really held up well.

AFAIK It is the only AA light capable of true 200 lumen OTF on a single AA.

davyro

Enlightened
Got to be an HDS,i work in construction & believe me my tools get some heavy usage.One of them i can rely on 100% is an HDS.