Here's one for the night hikers. Wear your headlamp!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I saw that... I too am in disbelief they're only being charged with a misdemeanor.

I guess this is another good reason to carry a hiking stick, a trekking pole, etc., when hiking.

d1337

Enlightened
I will keep this excuse ready for the the next time someone asks me why I would ever need a brighter headlamp.

d1337

Enlightened
Yeah, I saw that... I too am in disbelief they're only being charged with a misdemeanor.

I guess this is another good reason to carry a hiking stick, a trekking pole, etc., when hiking.
So that you can avoid the trap? Or so that you so that you will have something to beat the people who are trying to set the trap with. :)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, they should be convicting for attempted murder or something. those things look deadly!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would advocate removing big toes, along with breaking thumbs and elbows (ok, under sedation, now everybody pipe down!) for committing such acts.

Maybe an fmj gunshot through the soleus muscle would make more sense and cost a lot less... Irish style, so economical, classy, and to the point.

"May those who love us, love us.
And for those of us who don't love us,
May God turn their hearts.
And if he cannot turn their hearts.
May he turn their ankles,
So we may know them by their limping."

Too many kids playing video games and not understanding where their food comes from, or what it feels like to die of shock after a traumatic injury... no empathy, infuriating.
Disgusting invertebrates. I'd love to run a school for such children.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unbelievable. It's hard to believe this is only a misdemeanor-level crime...and thank God nobody was hurt or killed. How about castration for the perpetrators so that they don't have the opportunity to reproduce? OK, that's admittedly a harsh a thought, but how do you apply a punishment appropriate to the potential level of crime here? Misdemeanor...sheesh.

Headlamp...and body armor.

vēer

Newly Enlightened
I hope those tossers get to jail and become someones girlfriends. Thats just F up!

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that you can avoid the trap? Or so that you so that you will have something to beat the people who are trying to set the trap with. :)

Both!!! :whistle:

Unbelievable. It's hard to believe this is only a misdemeanor-level crime...and thank God nobody was hurt or killed. How about castration for the perpetrators so that they don't have the opportunity to reproduce? OK, that's admittedly a harsh a thought, but how do you apply a punishment appropriate to the potential level of crime here? Misdemeanor...sheesh.

Headlamp...and body armor.
But totally understandable. I simply can't believe that these jerkwipes were doing just to catch animals... Just shows how stupid they are in the first place, thinking anyone would believe such a lame story... and it is unfortunate that our society does produce people like this... controlled reproduction would be a simpler solution than trying to solve all of the social issues that lead people to be like that!

vēer;3932223 said:
I hope those tossers get to jail and become someones girlfriends. Thats just F up!
+1!

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm...
yeah, we've had some booby traps here in the bay area
set by "eco nuts" trying to stop us from riding bikes on trails...

one of them went to jail fairly recently - look up "vandeman side-o"
http://peterfrickwright.com/2011/03/youre-illegal-this-is-illegal/

we have had some nails and other stuff put up on some of the trails
but no fishing wire or steel cable yet (knock on wood)

I wonder if hiCRI emitters are better at detecting this stuff? :devil:

glad Ive got about 11amps thru 6 XPGs (2 hiCRI 4 neutral) and one neutral XML
on my night riding set up.... and a full face helmet...

:sick2:

Last edited:

Sno4Life

Newly Enlightened
hmmm...
yeah, we've had some booby traps here in the bay area
set by "eco nuts" trying to stop us from riding bikes on trails...

one of them went to jail fairly recently - look up "vandeman side-o"
http://peterfrickwright.com/2011/03/youre-illegal-this-is-illegal/

we have had some nails and other stuff put up on some of the trails
but no fishing wire or steel cable yet (knock on wood)

I wonder if hiCRI emitters are better at detecting this stuff? :devil:

glad Ive got about 11amps thru 6 XPGs (2 hiCRI 4 neutral) and one neutral XML
on my night riding set up.... and a full face helmet...

:sick2:

This has been a problem throughout the country - I've read about it on backpacking, biking, and off-road news sources. I can't believe the reckless disregard for other's safety! I wish it were easier to catch and prosecute these crazies.

hopkins

Enlightened
Ok I have a different view on this.
It was out in the open in plain site. Not concealed. Note how the white rope stands out.
At night a headlamp would make it stand out more than in daylight.

Anyone person walking by could see immediately what it was: A rock with sharp sticks tied to it,
hanging in a tree,not so high you would not notice, and with a trip line under it.
An animal might not be alerted but a person would be because it stands out.

Hmmm. The reasonable man says: better not be standing under it and trip the line or I'll be hurt.
Sort of like "better not step off sidewalk into path a speeding car or I'll get hurt".

And does not look to be in the middle of any trail where a night hiker would pass under it.

If they had concealed a steel bear trap in the middle of the trail where someones foot was bound to step
that would be heinous. This is just kids messing around. No intent to hurt people.
Tell them to disassemble it next time and hire them
as junior rangers or something.

LostCove NC

Newly Enlightened
Not far from where I live is a section of the Appalachian trail near Bitter End, Tennessee. Apparently there were some land aquisition disputes in the early 90's regarding this section of the AT and some disgruntled locals strung fishing line across the trail at eye level...with several fish hooks attached. I'm sure they were just fishing....right? Thankfully no-one was hurt.