peak vesuvius saga, ended. Free Lummi Wee light giveaway [to make up for the Peak]

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: Friday May 18th

I did get permission to give something away (100th poster)

So.....I have something worth the same if not more than a Peak Vesuvius, and because

I do not want to be a useless splat on these forums and tease anyone, and I am not
rich but I ain't broke either, and I have an excess number of lights....

there WILL be a free giveaway on CPFMP Jun 3rd, Sunday, 6PM eastern time

I desperately just want to see what happens with an auction like this and how
a '100th' poster wins will go down. and it is OK to do !
-----

it will be an new, unused, 100lumen
NS Lummi Wee, with extra battery
(that is right, you get 2x10180) ,
2 green trits, and a cottonpickers basic USB charger.

all for free ! you just pay shipping and can pay me after the light arrives (unless international where I have
to cough up more than 10 bucks for shipping).

Rules will be in that first post on Sunday

:devil:

Last edited:

CKOD

Enlightened
Re: I am itching to turn on a Peak Vesuvius at max and let it ride

I'd say throw a bucket over it to catch pieces that way you can photograph them all, or just hide yourself well.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
While it may not appeal to you, I'm sure someone else would like to have it, why not sell it on the marketplace? You can use the money to buy something more to your taste.

Just don't do anything dangerous with it. Wouldn't want to see you get hurt!

Draven451

Enlightened

I have a brass peak vesuvius that I recently acquired. I can relate to the issues you mention about needing to unscrew the head to make sure it does not turn itself on. Also my LED and reflector are slightly off as well.

Even with those issues I still like the light

....BUT

In an effort to fulfill those childlike fantasies of blowing stuff up I really like and wholly support your idea! :thumbsup:

If you don't like the light and are ready to push it past it's limits I say do it! Just be careful and safe.

Let's watch the vesuvius go BOOM BOOM!

Thanks for including us in this journey. :naughty:

Last edited:

tatteredmidnight

Newly Enlightened

A few thoughts.
I totally understand where you are coming from, the QTC looked great on paper but disintegrates too easily, leading to unreliable acctivation and adjustment. I have switched to a magnetic control ring EDC.

If you want to blow up your Peak (and who doesn't love blowing stuff up?). I suggest keeping a few things in mind.

The Peak is sealed and waterproofish. This essentially makes it a bomb when you are intentionally overloading the battery. enough overpressure and the weakest part will give, hopefully without too much shrapnel, or if you are properly protected, with lots of shrapnel :sssh:.

Also make sure you are using an unprotected cell and that it isn't an IMR cell, the crappier the cell the better. Remember, you are blowing up the cell, not the light. The light's circuitry (resister) would just burn up worst case if it didn't have a volatile battery in it.

Lastly just make sure you give yourself more than enough safe distance. It may just fizzle out, it may go boom, but you don't want to be too near if it goes boom.

Also take video and post the results.

-- Adam

Flashlight Enthusiast

why not an IMR ? I only have IMR 10440's

if/when I do this it will be in a box made of cement blocks outdoors
and if it doesn't externally outgas, I will approach the light the next day
with goggles and suited up with the first goal of burping the tail end with vice grips

tandem

Enlightened

IMR? You want to try to blow up something with a > somewhat < safer chemistry?

For best success at blowing things up, the Ultrafire's can't be beat. After all they've been voted by the League of Former Flashlight Users (LFFU) as the number one "Most likely to rip the fingers off your hand", now four years in a row!

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned

QTC works well in real life too, but Peak's QTC pill is too simplistic. There's a guy building a titanium QTC + McClicky flashlight that uses a Malkoff drop-in, and his QTC pill is a work of genius. Everything is adjustable to compensate for age and wear, and to prevent wear as much as possible.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

This reminds me of my urge to thread the Vesuvius head onto a pipe with 3xNiMH AAs (Or Ds?) and having some runtime to write home about. Mine lives on my keys so I can get all the light I need for things.

Set it off with a cheap Ultrafire, or an e-cigarette battery. Those explode and take teeth!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

You'd rather blow up a brass Vesuvius than offer it for sale to someone who would probably use it?

You know that outside the US it's nearly impossible to get a Peak light - doubly so for a brass one - right?

There are a lot of us who'd love the luxury of even being able to get one, nevermind destroy it out of boredom.

Flashlight Enthusiast

You'd rather blow up a brass Vesuvius than offer it for sale to someone who would probably use it?

You know that outside the US it's nearly impossible to get a Peak light - doubly so for a brass one - right?

There are a lot of us who'd love the luxury of even being able to get one, nevermind destroy it out of boredom.

you are probably correct here, it is a nice light, just not my style. maybe I will not nuke it.

I think I just need to stop looking at it everyday, whatever that takes.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned

I think I just need to stop looking at it everyday, whatever that takes.
So put it in a drawer for a month. If you don't miss it after that time, sell it. That's what I do with lights I have a love-hate relationship with.

tandem

Enlightened

Damn, I was looking forward to the youtube explosion video.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also have a Peak Vesuvius and often EDC it. I use it in short bursts to find something and would not rely on it to light a room for an evening. But.... there are people who are not flashaholics out there. A friend of mine was helping me and offered to hold the light while I drilled a hole in a dark place. I got the hole drilled, went about the instal and found my light on full brightness sitting on a ladder! AGH! It was almost too hot to touch! It was not damaged at all. I won't lend that one again! How long was it on? 6 or 7 minutes I would guess. Mine too has to be checked that it's not on low.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am gonna give this light away for the cost of shipping.

but to decide who gets it....

I will make up some type of thread on CPF

I will make a new thread

current members of CPF (must be member before april 2012) only

each member can only post three times in the thread, one for bump, one more to bump it
and one then try to nab the light and be post number 100

whoever is the 100th post in that thread can have the Vesuvius for the cost of shipping it to where they want it shipped

because I am crazy like that.

if a moderator shuts my idea down, then I will just sell it normally for whatever....
I hope this doesn't blow up CPF while 8 million people try to grab it...but I will
let this idea bake for a bit ( a week at least) and give the mods a chance to say do not do it fool.

anyhow, better than destroying a light, and somewhat interesting way to get rid of it. who knows
who will be the 100th post.

I will NOT sneak in and put up the thread without warning, i will give a time and date here if the
mods do not disapprove and tell me not to give it away in this fashion.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I hope this doesn't blow up CPF while 8 million people try to grab it...

Well, I guess we get to see an explosion after all!

I'm just not sure which is more dangerous, flying shrapnel from the Vesuvius or Greta from the overloaded the CPF servers! ;-)

Last edited:

Draven451

Enlightened
Cool idea.

Maybe who ever wins the light can then blow it up :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I am itching to turn on a Peak Vesuvius at max and let it ride-Ok I won't

well, this is it anyway...

light is very new, all minor scratches are how it arrived from Peak. I never carried this

o8RPq.jpg

3wio6.jpg

tLD2F.jpg

ajA1T.jpg

Latest posts