4sevens PREON 1 or Maratac AA?

daddybland

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a new, small EDC light. I like both the PREON and the Maratac and I'm looking for opinions. I already own some 4sevens lights so I know them to be quality, don't know anything about Maratac (CountyComms house brand?) but the output and runtime of the AA are pretty impressive. Similar pricepoints, the preon is a tad more, and similar size, length is basically the same, the Maratac is a bit fatter (4mm). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

OCD

Enlightened
My dad and I both have Maratac AAA stainless steel M-L-H versions and have had zero problems with them. They both are carried every day in pockets with keys and change. I use mine quite regular as a head lamp by reversing the clip and clipping it to my hat. Mine doesn't see a lot of actual use as it is primarily a back up to my HDS which is my go-to EDC. I keep my Maratac loaded with a Duraloop and have a spare Duraloop on my keys so I know I have plenty of run time if my main EDC goes dark. I don't own a Preon so I can't weigh in there.

Gryffin

Enlightened
I'm looking for a new, small EDC light. I like both the PREON and the Maratac and I'm looking for opinions. I already own some 4sevens lights so I know them to be quality, don't know anything about Maratac (CountyComms house brand?) but the output and runtime of the AA are pretty impressive. Similar pricepoints, the preon is a tad more, and similar size, length is basically the same, the Maratac is a bit fatter (4mm).

I own both, but the one that gets carried is the Maratac. Had mine on my keychain for ages now (three years maybe?), I use it daily, and it's been bomb-proof. The knurling on the head makes it a lot easier to use with one hand than the Preon, too. Also, my Maratac has both a mini-lobster-claw on the lanyard attachment, and the pocket clip, for extra carry flexibility; on the Preon, you can have one or the other.

I'm not sure where your getting your numbers, but the Maratac is noticeably shorter than the Preon, and the heads are the same diameter; SelfBuilt's Preon 1 & 2 review has a good side-by-side shot:

Preon-12.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like the Preon, but I prefer it in 2xAAA configuration (I bought an extra body and clicky tailcap). The single-cell config is good, just not good enough to displace the Maratac off my keychain.

There are a number of lights that are very similar to the Maratac, with better output: the Illuminati Al, ITP A3 EOS, and a few others that have slipped my mind; again, good lights, but none good enough to justify replacing the Maratac. YMMV.

daddybland

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.
Gryffin, I'm looking at the Maratac AA which is a bit larger than the Preon. Hadn't considered the AAA but perhaps I should.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Thanks guys.
Gryffin, I'm looking at the Maratac AA which is a bit larger than the Preon. Hadn't considered the AAA but perhaps I should.

D'OH!!! That's twice in as many weeks I've misread the number of "A"s. "Bad flashaholic, BAD!"

Comparing an AA and AAA light is kinda like comparing apples to oranges, though. I'm amazed, though, at the performance of these latest AAA lights; it wasn't that long ago we needed 2xCR123A to get that sorta lumens, and I've it got hanging off my keychain. Fun times!

OCD

Enlightened
D'OH!!! That's twice in as many weeks I've misread the number of "A"s. "Bad flashaholic, BAD!"

Don't feel bad....I did the same thing myself! I read "Preon" and "Maratac" and my mind starts down the "AAA" highway!

Oh well....:stupid:

daddybland

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again guys! I went with the Maratac AA. Should be here in a few days. I think I'll probably get a preon once the new foursevens.com is running. I'll post a quick review of the Maratac when I get a chance.

Chrono

Newly Enlightened
Maratac looks amazing, i would like to order one and other CountyComm items but
i'm in Canada, can anyone help make an order for me?

mau91

Newly Enlightened
Maratac looks amazing, i would like to order one and other CountyComm items but
i'm in Canada, can anyone help make an order for me?

If you click on "International Orders" on the CountyComm website, there's a link for Miles Stair's Survival Shop. They pretty much have the full selection of CountyComm items, and they ship to Canada (very quickly and inexpensively from my experience).