Surefire T1A Titan still worth it?

jonesy

Enlightened
It looks like the updated T1A at 100 lumens is now for sale. Does anyone have one yet and compared it to the normal 70 lumen model? Has the blue tint been fixed?

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/t1a-titan.html

I'm also wondering if it's worth the rather substantial premium compared to the new breed of variable lights from Jetbeam and Sunwayman. Any thoughts? I love my Surefires but find it hard to justify $250 for such a light.

nbp

Flashaholic
I can't comment on latest version, but I have the original T1A, and I love it. There is quite a lot written on that light as well, it seems most who have owned them really loved them, even though the output may not be the most amazing.

Some good reading: Here Here (despite the title, a lot of positive comments in this one, plus several classic lines from some long-timers here)

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Nice to see that the 100 Lumen version is up on the Surefire site. I think you're the first to find it listed, so I would be surprised if anybody had one in hand at this point.

Without knowing much of anything about the update, I couldn't say if it is a significant improvement. I can say that the build quality of my old T1A is absolutely superior to the other control ring lights I have owned (Sunwayman V10R Ti, Jetbeam TCR1) and it isn't that much more expensive than those.

archimedes

Flashaholic
These are great lights, for their specific purpose.

A 30% increase in output is not likely to be easily noticeable (by eye), or particularly needed.

If the new version has a warmer tint, however ... :devil:

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rock solid light.

Awesome stock if you don't mind very cool tints.

Amazing modded to a XP-G or XM-L. It's a floody light so it might do real nice with the new Nichia 219 LEDs.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Not to be too pedantic, but 70 to 100 is a 42% increase, which should be enough to be noticeable. The big difference really is going to come from what emitter they're using. If they're putting XP-Gs in the T1A, then I will definitely be on the lookout for one.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you pay the asking price for a SF, it shouldn't NEED an emitter upgrade as soon as you get it. Yeah, I know.....:dedhorse:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Not to be too pedantic, but 70 to 100 is a 42% increase, which should be enough to be noticeable. The big difference really is going to come from what emitter they're using. If they're putting XP-Gs in the T1A, then I will definitely be on the lookout for one.

HDS/Ra "burst" mode steps down from 100 to 71 lumens (isn't that a 29% decrease?), and I can't notice it unless I'm really looking for it.

And that's with my 170T's throwy beam .... I would think that it would be even less obvious with a floody output like the T1A (since the same total lumens are diffused over a wider area).

To my old eyes, anyway :)

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see this is out. I was hoping they would update it and actually release it. Just have to find a dealer who carries it. After using my T1A, I just couldn't go to a different UI. So hopefully the led in this new version is a little warmer. :)

Viking

Enlightened
HDS/Ra "burst" mode steps down from 100 to 71 lumens (isn't that a 29% decrease?)

Yes but that's not the same as going from 70 to 100.
Going from 70 to 100 is a 42 % increase.
30/70 x 100 = 42,857 %

Going from 100 to 71 is a 29% decrease.
29/100 x 100 = 29 %.

Remember allways to use the original number , when you are dividing :)

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yes but that's not the same as going from 70 to 100.
Going from 70 to 100 is a 42 % increase.
30/70 x 100 = 42,857 %

Going from 100 to 71 is a 29% decrease.
29/100 x 100 = 29 %.

Remember allways to use the original number , when you are dividing :)

I'm not disputing the math, but what's the relevance? It's still a change of 30 lumens, up or down, right? Whether you want to look at it as 70 to 100, or 100 to 70, 30% or 40%, whatever ... my point was that visual difference was not likely to be easily noticeable (at least by me, I guess).

The rough rule of thumb I use personally is that a doubling (100% change, if you like) of lumens are needed for any easily noticeable change in output ... and 10x (1000%) for apparent doubling in brightness.

I'm not sure that 3 significant digits are needed for calculating light output for these purposes ( "42.857% increase" ) , either ... ;)

Apologies to the OP if my sloppy math pulled this thread off-topic.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing which me be overlooked here is that Surefire had changed their ratings method on some lights over time. A few years back they used to severely underrate their lights output. Could it be possible that they have re-rated this light without changing anything? Just a thought.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Regardless of whether the increased brightness is noticeable, the important difference will be in the emitter that Surefire is using. If they just re-rated it and are using the same emitter, I will be very disappointed.

nbp

Flashaholic
If they were to put a new emitter in the T1A (doubt they did), I think they should use the XM-L, not the XP-G. A big floody die is really more appropriate for this light as it is designed as a close range flooder. The SSC P4 that was used was/is very good and is one of my favorite emitters for smooth floody beams. I don't think a big jump in lumens is very important anyways for this light, maybe 150 lm tops, but the increase in efficiency would be nice.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
I like my T1A a lot. It's nice that SF is increasing the lumens, but to be honest I really hope the efficiency goes up. My t1a eats batteries... More runtime would be welcome - I don't care about the output increase as much.

tandem

Enlightened
What ^^^ said. I like my T1A very much, blue tint and all, but it does eat CR123A cells much faster than it should for a light of this output. Hopefully the new version uses a more efficient modern emitter.

Rather than continue to blow through primaries, I'm using 16340 rechargeable IMR cells with no ill effects despite the increased voltage.

I sometimes muse about modding / having someone modify this light. An efficient emitter (I'm not looking for more brightness necessarily) would be absolutely killer in the Titan.

Last edited:

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well since the Surefire catalog states that the output has increased, I would expect that they actually changed the emitter.

Why doesn't someone buy one so we can find out? :)

nbp

Flashaholic
You can easily get 100 lm out of the P4. Sorry to burst the bubble but it could be the same emitters guys. Just don't want you all to melt down if it is. ;) Either way, it's still a very useful light and my absolute favorite bedside light.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can easily get 100 lm out of the P4. Sorry to burst the bubble but it could be the same emitters guys. Just don't want you all to melt down if it is. ;) Either way, it's still a very useful light and my absolute favorite bedside light.

Well that's true, but my main concern is that the original T1A P4 was too cool. I'm hoping the "new" one will be a bit warmer, even if it is a P4. We can always dream, can't we. :)