18350 batteries

texas cop

Enlightened
I've done a few searches with little turned up. How many different 18350 batteries are there, so far I find only the IMR ones at 700 mah. I've been using a few pocket lights with tubes allowing both 16340's and 18350's, one dropin is at 5.6 amps one at 3 amps and another at 2.5 amps. I would perfer the slightly larger if a little greater capacity and discharge can be had. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Gryffin

Enlightened
I don't have the IMR ones, but I did buy several of the orange UltraFire ones a while back. While they're pretty cool in theory, in practice, not so much. Most single-CR123A-sized lights aren't bored to take 18mm cells*; and in 2xCR123A/1x18650 lights, the battery tubes are rarely long enough to handle the extra length of an additional protection circuit. If they were just 1mm shorter, they'd fit a lot more of my two-cell lights...

(*One notable exception is the new JETBeam RRT-01, which takes 18350 quite nicely.)

tandem

Enlightened
As a Li-Co, the Ultrafire probably does have more capacity than an AW IMR cell, but does it meet its label capacity claim of 1200 mAh?

It wouldn't matter if more capacity is the only criteria. But these are some high currents being called for. In the highest current scenario, in a single cell application - 5.6A - is roughly equal to a 5C rate (assuming the Ultrafire are have their capacity over stated some). I'm not sure I'd be comfortable holding such a light powered by an Ultrafire Lithium-cobalt cell.

Draven451

Enlightened
If you look up member HKJ he has done extensive reviews of different sized cells including 18650. I believe his website has reviews of the most recent offerings. You won't find a better resource online :)

If you scan below your post in this section HKJ has several threads right now.

tandem

Enlightened
Draven451, the OP is inquiring about 18350 cells, not 18650s. I don't think HJK has reviewed any 18350 cells.

There are 18650 brands aplenty due to the demand from laptop makers; 18350 cells are an oddball size marketed by only a few.

texas cop

Enlightened
I've got the SolarForce/Surefire lego bug, lots of mix and matching. With the L2M I put together a few little pocketlights small, short run time but as bright as the larger 18650 tubes. But those 18350 cells are an uncommon animal. I've 2 Ultrafire cells and I don't think they go past 8-900 mah when measuring run time against know cells. Thanks for the response.