Which of these lights do you think I should get?

Which one do you vote for?

• Light #1

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Light #2

Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Light #3

• Light #4

• Light #5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like most of us, I need about $1,000 plus to get the flashlights I'm looking at right now. Of course, that's not going to happen haha. The following are what I've narrowed it down to for my next purchase. It could be many months before I do another one right now due to finances. Which one would you choose?

This light will mainly be used around the house and camping, but will also be used for impressing non-flashaholics, road trips, and night walks.

1. Solarforce L2T with clip, stainless steel bezel, and S9 switch, running a (Update: different drop) Vinhnguyen54 XML driven at 3.85 amps, pushing a blazing 1000 plus lumens. $35+$45 = $80
l2th.jpg
[/IMG]

Pros:
I'm really drawn to the looks of this light, more than the others on my list.
Insanely bright, especially for a regulated 1x18650 size light!
I can upgrade the light engine easily as better ones come out, as well as parts.
I have a turbo head that I would use when wanting greater throw. Right now it has an XRE in it, but could also have Nailbender do a D36 drop with an XML ($50).
Can use for self defense and breaking windows in an emergency.
(Updated) This drop is also capable of a moonlight low and "hidden" strobe, SOS, and beacon modes, which I like to have when camping, hiking, or traveling.

Cons:
I love the Solarforce lights, but I wouldn't say they are as well made as Zebralight or JetBeam.

2. Zebralight SC600 flashlight. $95
sc600.jpg
[/IMG]

Pros:
I've wanted a good light with a side switch for a long time, though now I'm used to the tactical switches.
Capable of an amazing 750 ANSI OTF lumens (500 after 5 min. on) and still good runtime.
Amazing UI.
Seems to be a superb light.
I've been wanting a Zebralight for a long time, and this would be my first one.

Cons:
The plainest looking of the lights, IMHO.
Can't use for breaking windows or self defense (other than light itself).
Non upgradable.

3. Zebralight H600 headlamp. $89
h600main.jpg
[/IMG]

Pros:
Can be used as a flashlight or headlamp.
Capable of an amazing 750 ANSI OTF lumens (500 after 5 min. on) and still good runtime.
Amazing UI.
Should to be a superb light.
I've been wanting a Zebralight for a long time, and this would be my first one.

Cons:
Ugliest looking of the lights, IMHO.
Can't use for breaking windows or self defense (other than light itself).
Non upgradable.
I can't see myself using this as a flashlight, just as a headlamp, and therefore 750 lumens seems overkill for me for that. The H51 1xAA headlamp seems a better fit at 200 lumens, smaller/lighter, and $64.

4. Jetbeam RRT-01. $105
rrt01en4.jpg
[/IMG]

Pros:
I EDC the RRT-0 with an XPG. It is an amazing light! This light is quite a bit smaller and pushes up to 500 ANSI lumens!
Adjustable brightness ring, which I have really come to love.
For me, as a pocket EDC (I'm not a LEO or in the military anymore, and live in the city), I don't see how you can beat this light.

Cons:
$100 plus price tag makes me a little queasy.
This light won't really do what the other lights will do, but I do have other lights for that.
Not upgradable.

5. Jetbeam RRT-21. $110
rrt21en11.jpg
[/IMG]

Pros:
Ever since I got my RRT-0 with the control brightness ring, I wanted an 18650 light that could do this for longer runtimes. This will do max brightness for 2 hours and 15 minutes (vs. the RRT-01 which is 20 min.).
Like the other Jetbeams, I consider this a premium light IMHO.
Have I said I like the variable brightness capabilities? Haha.

Cons:
Not nearly as bright as the Zebralight or Solarforce; even the RRT-01 is brighter.
Highest price tag of them all.
Not upgradable.

Your thoughts would be greatly appritiated. If there is a new/newer light out there you think I might not be aware of, that would be great too. I'm not looking for a light bigger than a 1x18650, nor much more than $100. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
This light will mainly be used around the house and camping, but will also be used for impressing non-flashaholics, road trips, and night walks.
1. Solarforce L2T with clip, stainless steel bezel, and S9 switch, running a Nailbender XML 3 mode driven at 3.5 amps, pushing a blazing 900 OTF lumens. $35+$45 = $80
I really like the Solarforce L2 series for the customization available and low price for the host, and I would vote for this one out of the choices presented. However, I too agree that the Low output is not nearly low enough for camping and other night activities where a bright light is too much. If Nailbender had a 3-mode with 1% output for the Low, I'd buy his dropins in a heartbeat. Unfortunately no one seems to make a 1/10/100% dropin which is the kind of output spacing I consider more useful for my needs.
YMMV.
I'm on the hunt for a specific type of light, and so far have found nothing that matches.

rambo180

Enlightened
I really like the Solarforce L2 series for the customization available and low price for the host, and I would vote for this one out of the choices presented. However, I too agree that the Low output is not nearly low enough for camping and other night activities where a bright light is too much. If Nailbender had a 3-mode with 1% output for the Low, I'd buy his dropins in a heartbeat. Unfortunately no one seems to make a 1/10/100% dropin which is the kind of output spacing I consider more useful for my needs.
YMMV.
I'm on the hunt for a specific type of light, and so far have found nothing that matches.

thrunight tn10.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking as a bit of a JetBeam enthusiast, I'd have to lean towards the SC900 (out of the lights proffered) especially for camping oriented users essentially for 3 reasons...

1) Lower low mode (sub level mode) 0.1L (80 days runtime).
2) Higher peak (turbo) and maximum OTF lumen.
3) Step Regulation

However if you choose it over the RRT21 you'll be sacrificing...

1) Flexible battery options
2) A tighter beam focus/throw (possible thanks to a hybrid reflector design)
3) Continuously variable output 3~460Lm

The prescribed CPF answer is buy both! :devil: :thumbsup:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vihnguyen is selling some very nice P60 drop-ins on the Homebuilt & Modified Marketplace forum. He may have what you're looking for. BTW, I have several of the L2T hosts and they're very good temperature-wise when using an XML drop-in driven at 2.8-3A for a 1/2 hour or more.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
YMMV.
Totally agree, and I know he struggles with finding that himself. That being said, Gurthang is right. It seems I can have my cake and eat it too with the drop-ins Vihnguyen is making. He is offering one with an amazing amount or pre-programming/customization. I can get a good low AND 1000+ lumens, plus strobe, SOS, and beacon available if I need it, which I prefer to have for road trips and hiking. I have one of his DD drops, and he clearly is getting 1000 plus lumens out of these. Amazing!

Speaking as a bit of a JetBeam enthusiast, I'd have to lean towards the SC900 (out of the lights proffered) especially for camping oriented users essentially for 3 reasons...

1) Lower low mode (sub level mode) 0.1L (80 days runtime).
2) Higher peak (turbo) and maximum OTF lumen.
3) Step Regulation

However if you choose it over the RRT21 you'll be sacrificing...

1) Flexible battery options
2) A tighter beam focus/throw (possible thanks to a hybrid reflector design)
3) Continuously variable output 3~460Lm

The prescribed CPF answer is buy both! :devil: :thumbsup:
Very true. As far as the battery options though, I'd only use an 18650 (unless I some how ran out and had to use RC123 batts).

Vihnguyen is selling some very nice P60 drop-ins on the Homebuilt & Modified Marketplace forum. He may have what you're looking for. BTW, I have several of the L2T hosts and they're very good temperature-wise when using an XML drop-in driven at 2.8-3A for a 1/2 hour or more.
Wow. Thanks for pointing this one out. What an amazing drop! This is definetly the drop I'd go with if I go with this combination (which is now, at this point, top of my list). Nothing against Nailbender, I love his work and have lots of his stuff, but having the better low makes the light so much more useful! Thanks!

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT-01, they have been going for $75 on the Marketplace.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I happened to own the RRT-01, multiple L2Ts, and a SC600W. I honestly could not choose if I could only have one. It would be between the ZL and the SF. The RRT-01's run times are a huge turnoff to me. I also have used many of Vinhnguyen54's dropins and the low level is amazing. I say get the L2T first and maybe wait for a more updated version of the ZL. As amazing as it is, I can see where it could possibly be improved. This is a non issue with any P60 host for obvious reasons. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
I happened to own the RRT-01, multiple L2Ts, and a SC600W. I honestly could not choose if I could only have one. It would be between the ZL and the SF. The RRT-01's run times are a huge turnoff to me. I also have used many of Vinhnguyen54's dropins and the low level is amazing. I say get the L2T first and maybe wait for a more updated version of the ZL. As amazing as it is, I can see where it could possibly be improved. This is a non issue with any P60 host for obvious reasons. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Cool. Thanks for your imput Diablo.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, by the pole, the ZL is one vote ahead, but by the comments, it seems the L2T is the first choice. Anyone else want to chime in?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC600w was the first light to make me stop buying lights. Other than lights bought/traded specifically to mod or tinker with I have pretty much quit purchasing them.

Alex07

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2 series for the customization available and low price for the host, and I would vote for this one out of the choices presented.

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC600 for me. It's a small 18650 sized light at only 107mm (2/3 the length of the L2T). I wouldn't really go with a CR123 for camping. Plus, the SC600 has a 0.1 lumen setting that can last 80 days. Talk about a long lasting light. Add in a great UI (the best in this roundup) that gives you access to all modes directly from off, and you've got a winner in my book.

Last edited:

Smokescreen

Newly Enlightened
The Zebralight SC600 would be my choice. It appears to fit everything (and more) you need in a light. In fact, it might fit your needs so well that you may not even feel the need to pursue other lights for awhile (if you're a user... if you're a collector that's another story).

fishndad

Enlightened
i would get the zebra sc600. then if you still want a small single cr123 take a good look at the sunwayman m10 or m11.
i own a jet rrt01 and my buddy got the m10r and i like his a little better.Isnt that always the case. you will probably own them all within a year anyway.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I made a decision and pulled the trigger. Thank you so much for your imput. I decided to go with the Solarforce L2T with clip, stainless steel bezel, and S9 switch, running a Vinhnguyen54 XML
Drop. Of course, it's all about a personal choice; I wouldn't say one is better than the others. Here is why I made this decision, should you want to know.

1. Best looking, IMHO.
2. Upgradability.
3. I have wanted a light with trits for a long time. This S9 switch (with upgraded clicky capable of up to 5amps) will be perfect IMHO. The trits will look great on the side of the switch and will fit on all of my Solarforce L2 style lights and my Surefire lights that I have now, and ones I get in the future. This means I can stick it on another light if I chose to and that as technology grows, my light with trits doesn't have to become a shelf queen.
4. With the drop I ordered I get an amazing choice of output: aprox 3, 350, and 1,000 lumens, plus hidden modes of stobe, blink (not sure what this would be used for), SOS, and beacon, should I need it.
5. With money I saved from the $100 plus drops, I bought an L2P body (which completes a light, as I have an L2P switch and head, and an SST-50 drop to go in), a 2011 black version of the L2, which will look great with my Masterpiece Pro 1 head, take the body and switch I'm currently using with the Pro 1 head and put a D36 turbo head on it (this looks good, but I won't actually use it till I upgrade the drop), and by getting the 5amp clicky and putting it in the S9 switch, I can put that in another switch that went bad, use the new head from the 2011 L2 and an old grey L2 body and Nailbender dual XPG drop that I already have to make another light. Not the pretiest, and I like the XMLs better, but will make for a great lender light. That's a lot for the money if you ask me.
6. Love the RRT-21 and still want one if they up the amps to push more lumens when desired (sacrificing run time when I do, of course).
7. Love the RRT-01 too, but I'm hoping they will refine it before I get one.
8. Love the SC600. Period. Still want one.
9. For me, I just don't see myself needing a headlamp that pushes 750 lumens, so I don't feel the H600 would be a good purchase for me.
10. The "collector or user" comments got me thinking. I guess I'm a little of both. I like to think I'm an "admirer" haha. I don't have the money to have what I consider a serious collection (for flashaholics), but I do love to have lots of lights and lots of capabilities to play with, look at, and show others, but I definetly use many of them too; I EDC 2, have one in my truck and with my motorbike, one is just for home protection (should I need it, but the long aggresive bezel isn't good for carrying), use a couple regularly around the house (though the new L2T will take on those rolls), plus I use them for animal spotting, camping, night walks, and for traveling. So, this decision will work great for that.