U.S. Department of Labor nearly bans children on farms from using flashlights

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U.S. Department of Labor is proposing new regulations for child labor on farms. One of these regulations says that children under the age of 16 are not allowed to operate "battery powered tools". After many complaints, they clarified what that and other regulations meant. Children will now be allowed to use flashlights and screwdrivers under the new rules if passed. I want to avoid getting into the other aspects of this regulation and focus on this one issue. The right of children to use a flashlight legally on a farm (for many, that's their home) was almost taken away because of a technicality in a poorly worded proposed regulation. How would you feel if your children weren't allowed to operate a flashlight and you had to carry it for them to avoid breaking the law?

Look most of the way down the page for the reference to flashlights: http://deltafarmpress.com/government/strong-opposition-proposed-child-labor-laws-farm?page=2

indychris

Newly Enlightened
The U.S. Department of Labor is proposing new regulations for child labor on farms. One of these regulations says that children under the age of 16 are not allowed to operate "battery powered tools". After many complaints, they clarified what that and other regulations meant. Children will now be allowed to use flashlights and screwdrivers under the new rules if passed. I want to avoid getting into the other aspects of this regulation and focus on this one issue. The right of children to use a flashlight legally on a farm (for many, that's their home) was almost taken away because of a technicality in a poorly worded proposed regulation. How would you feel if your children weren't allowed to operate a flashlight and you had to carry it for them to avoid breaking the law?

Look most of the way down the page for the reference to flashlights: http://deltafarmpress.com/government/strong-opposition-proposed-child-labor-laws-farm?page=2

Well, on the bright side, at least they didn't need to pass the bill so that they could find out what was in it.
mathews_doh.gif

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found it both funny and sad that they had to clarify that the new regulations don't prohibit children from doing their choirs. I can think of the excuses kids will come up with now. "Mommy, I'd like to do what you told me to do and clean my room, but it's illegal. You wouldn't want me breaking the law, would you?"

Sorry, I wanted to avoid talking about the rest of the regulations, but I couldn't help myself on this one. It's too goofy.