plywood flashlights

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
had this itch for long time to make a light that is made out of wood, not entirely, but as much as practical.
so here are few designs i'm working on now, i,m only done about 20-30% on first, but already learned few things, mostly what not to do, but all is good, next one will be better.
so far i build 3 heads, 2 have 2 xml, one has 26,5mm and 20mm carclo lenses, other 38mm ledil lenses, third has 3 xm-l with 26,5mm carclo tir, and tripple rebel rgb.
will update as i go.

P1070356jj.jpg

P1070358jj.jpg

P1070342.jpg

P1070349.jpg

P1070355.jpg

TheFraz

Enlightened
I like the 2 pics with the 2 x XML (3rd and 4th pics) - less is more imo. Looks like you could mill a handle in there too. Fun to make a light from the ground up.

I like it!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Made it work, thou it is still about 50% finished, need to cut\file more, make all parts fit, make a handle, charging ports.. etc.
this is first prototype, I'll be building few more after I'll get experience and test ideas on this one, so this one feeds off 3d nimh cells, each led (xml) is wired to spdt switch with resistors 0.2ohm and 2 ohm, current is 2,8a and 450ma, low and high. Both leds are independent, can be run together or separately. For next builds I'll use li ion cells and drivers, just didn't want to go crazy with first one, wanted to make it as simple as possible.

P1070363.jpg

P1070364.jpg

Last edited:

Slickseth

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to build a light out of butter. It will probably have similar thermal characteristics.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just being a smartass.
lol, ok.
but actually, butter would be not a bad thing, it dissipates heat, it is liquid once you melted it, you wouldn't have heat problem in you butter light, your problems would be to keep it from melting away, and of course, keep the stink out, after few months.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol, ok.
but actually, butter would be not a bad thing, it dissipates heat, it is liquid once you melted it, you wouldn't have heat problem in you butter light, your problems would be to keep it from melting away, and of course, keep the stink out, after few months.

Actually, short-term-use heat sinks use phase-changing paraffin to absorb heat during burst use. In other words, they pick a wax that melts at their 'getting too hot' temperature so that its melting absorbs thermal energy. Of course, this only helps for burst output, and has poor thermal characteristics besides thermal capacity...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, butter is different, lol j.k. i had to come back as a smartass too, thou i see it wasn't that obvious, lol

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
didn't throw them into the water, but most likely they'll sink like a rock.

actually thanks for the idea, i might make next one floating, once i'm done with these.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
This has got to be the coolest, stupid project I have ever seen...:clap:

Slazmo

Enlightened
didn't throw them into the water, but most likely they'll sink like a rock.

actually thanks for the idea, i might make next one floating, once i'm done with these.

Careful you may infringe on the Eveready Dolphin design with the 'floating' intrinsic design idea that may be patented - you may be chased down and sodomised like Mag did to that other company...

Surprised that Eveready haven't caught the LED bug yet with the Dolphin?