5 7.25%
  • AW

21 30.43%
  • Redilast

6 8.70%
  • Other ?

10 14.49%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best protected 18650's for the price "with panasonic cells" ?

Default Best protected 18650's for the price "with panasonic cells" ?

sorry mods if this is in the wrong forum you don't have a "battery section" unless i totally overlooked it

all are protected on panasonic 3100mah cells at lowest prices i could find shipping included

Orbtronic $13.50
    Eagletac $17.29
    Callies Kustom $19.50
    AW $23
    Redilast $24

just wondering in general for the price if the bigger names are worth upto almost double the price for the same cell with a dif sticker on the battery.

lights to be used in if it matters: Eagletac g25C2 or Klarus XT11 "can't decide lol" , Sunwayman T20CS , Fenix p30D. I'm also eyeing the lumapower sidekick IV which looks pretty nice. i still have 19 duracel cr123a's 1550mah's left but rather than buy more I rather move to rechargeable batts
    Last edited by SouthernSorrows; 04-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Default Re: Best protected 18650's for the price "with panasonic cells" ?

as for a charger I'm going either Soshine Dual Charger , Xtar Wp2 Charger or at double the price maybe a Pila IBC charger everyone raves about

Actually there is a forum on here dedicated to things such as this. Many threads about 18650 batteries and tests. Not sure where you got your battery pricing, seems a little high. The Callies are $15.95 and the AW and Redilast are typically 19.75 for the 3100 mah. Im not familiar with the other two you mentioned.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...eries-Included
    Last edited by diesel79; 04-27-2012 at 04:33 PM.

that's pretty much prices i found + the usps shipping for 1 batt is what boost the price.. i saw that damn "batteries included and figured it was for listing lights that come with factory batteries in them lol"

If you go to Orbtronics website, they have the 3100 mah 18650 dual PCB and other protections, based on a Panasonic cell. It's only $12.99 each, free shipping, and I think it was from the u.s. too!

have you tried orbtronic vs the other brands ? supposedly according to a few review/batt comparisons i found on this site callies kustoms are on par ifnot last slightly long than AW noooobody has orbtronic info

13 sounds to good to be true. May be rejected cells, etc.

The rest comes down to 'packaging' like PCBs. Some, for example, use premium wires, making the final cell thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectronGuru View Post
    13 sounds to good to be true. May be rejected cells, etc.
    Bit harsh to dismiss cells simply on price, and to slur them as possibly rejected cells.

Certainly they are the cheapest Panasonic based 3100mAh on the market. I guess that once HKJ has reviewed them ( I predict a "very good" rating), these will become popular.

Think I'll buy some now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubois View Post
    Bit harsh to dismiss cells simply on price, and to slur them as possibly rejected cells.

Certainly they are the cheapest Panasonic based 3100mAh on the market. I guess that once HKJ has reviewed them ( I predict a "very good" rating), these will become popular.

Think I'll buy some now.
    I know wish somebody reviewed them lol. could be really good, could be really crap you never know now adays. $12.99 doesn't seem like too big a risk to try them out but if someone knew for sure XXX brand was worth 2x the price I would keep the $12

sure we can all agree any fire brand batteries are pretty low end quality "trustfire, ultrafire etc."

Couldn't agree more, but none of the *fire brands are Panasonic. Xtar, and Intl Outdoor Panasonic 3100mAh cells should also, perhaps, be considered.

I bought two EagleTac 3100s off of an Ebay vendor last month for $20.39 delivered. I couldn't argue with the price and so far, so good.

Chris
    Convoy: S2, M1, M2, Fenix: P1D, PD32, HL30, ET: D25C Ti, SF: 6P, ZL: SC-600, Klarus: P2A, Jetbeam: BA-20, Icon: Rogue 1, L3: L10, Xeno: E03, ShiningBeam: I-Mini, Olight: i3s, SWM: D40A, M11R, V11R, Maglite: 6Ds, MMs, Solitaires, LaCrosse BC-700, Maha C-9000, XTAR VP2, MP1S, WP2 II, NiteCore i4, v2.

Intl - Outdoors $13.96 each free shipping same pcb as Redilast possibly

I ordered two should have them within a 10 days from hong Kong
    My Lights -- Olight S20 Baton XM-L 470 Lumens
    Olight M20 Warrior 2010 320 Lumens
    Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W 120 Lumen 3C,
    Fenix E-15

DX also has protected panasonic cells (in clear wrapper) for $20.70/pair with free shipping (so $10.35 each)

Quote Originally Posted by 901-Memphis View Post
    Intl - Outdoors $13.96 each free shipping same pcb as Redilast possibly

I ordered two should have them within a 10 days from hong Kong

Having just went through this quandary, i opted for 2 Eagletacs, and the Nitecore i4 charger (awesome charge btw). So far so good, and they have received good reviews from others here. Frankly, i would say to go with the cheapest "True" battery you can find, and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Madcat View Post
    Having just went through this quandary, i opted for 2 Eagletacs, and the Nitecore i4 charger (awesome charge btw). So far so good, and they have received good reviews from others here. Frankly, i would say to go with the cheapest "True" battery you can find, and call it a day.
    where's the cheapest place "shipped" for eagletacs?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSorrows View Post
    where's the cheapest place "shipped" for eagletacs?
    For me, it was goinggear, having them at 14.99 w/ free shipping on orders over 50 (i needed a charger as well, so it was over that). Not sure who has the cheapest, non free shipping..

Intl-Outdoors is free shipping on any number of cells, so you could order 1 or more and still get them $13.96 free shipping. Also they have the green wrapper non protected 3100 mah Panasonic cells only $9.94 if your into those.
    My Lights -- Olight S20 Baton XM-L 470 Lumens
    Olight M20 Warrior 2010 320 Lumens
    Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W 120 Lumen 3C,
    Fenix E-15

Flashaholic*

I'd like to see a thirteen buck Orbtronics opened up to reveal what is inside it. Until that happens, I regard that price as too good to be true.

For that matter, open up a current Redilast, Callies Kustoms, EagleTac, Intl-Outdoors and a AW cell. Let's see where they they all differ and then make a judgement call.

Until that happens, and probably even after to be honest, I'm going to continue to buy AW cells.

Just to point out, most "good" Panasonic 18650 cells (as well as all the other premium brand cells, LG, Sony, Samsung, etc.) go into laptop battery packs and such. These companies cater more to their multimillion $$ customers that purchase hundreds of thousands of cells per year, than those distributors that purchase a thousand cells per year.

Most of the cells Panasonic rejects for the making of laptop battery packs, end up being sold to Chinese wholesale distributors. Some of these cells are "better" than others, and in the end cost more. The crappier lots of cells, sell for less.

Also, the difference in performance between a "good" reject, and a "crappy" reject, may not become evident, until the cell is cycled 10-50 times. While the testing of "new" cells is invaluable, it doesn't tell the whole story. Some things to keep in mind.

Dave

BTW lowest price i found on AW 18650 3100mahs is $17.98 each at RTDvapor.com with 3 added in cart the shipping is $2.10 shipping for first class mail or $5 for priority mail

so in comparison you could get say 2 eagletacs for $35 shipped at goinggear or 2 aw's for $38 at RTD pretty sure the extra $3 for the AW is a good deal

Flashaholic

So what I have always wondered is what are the cells AW gets? Are they trully the top quality cells that Panasonic sells to the multimillion dollar customers or are they seconds?
    Does AW [or Callies, Redilast for that matter] buy and get directly from Panasonic? I don't know if anyone has mentioned that before, or if they know.

One thing that I know is that, for me at least, they charge up on my Pila differently than the el cheapo T****fire that came packaged with my Romisen last week. AW's=4.13V, T****fire=4.19V. I am waiting on the Eagletac coming with my Klarus TX2C as I am curious what that will be like.

I still believe in the old "if it sounds to good to be true....".

You still really get what you pay for one way or the other.
    Fenix TK35/TK21 U2/PD32/LD12/E01/ Romisen RC-T602/ Klarus XT2C/ EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky, Thrunite TN31. , Olight s10, Eagletac D25LC2 factory mod XP-G2 with 2amp driver. Eagletac D25C Ti XM-L U2, D25C ti XP-G2

Flashaholic

I see many people judge those 18650 based on price. That's good, but not always the best way to go.

Check HKJ (best reviewer IMHO) test site. It seems that "cheapest" 3100mAh outperform AW batteries without any problem.

Now, the question is: who is actually using those "rejects" ?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    I'd like to see a thirteen buck Orbtronics opened up to reveal what is inside it. Until that happens, I regard that price as too good to be true.
    Or maybe AW's and RediLast's are just overpriced.

Raw NCR18650A goes at $6 - $8 (depending on order quantity), so $13 is just a normal, competitive price.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSorrows View Post
    so in comparison you could get say 2 eagletacs for $35 shipped at goinggear or 2 aw's for $38 at RTD pretty sure the extra $3 for the AW is a good deal
    How "extra $3" is a good deal? Extra anything is not a good deal, until it has been proven that AW's have superior PCB to Eagletac's / superior build quality / superior something else.

Quality cells duopoly command some premiums...as more players coming on stream with equal or acceptable quality, we can see some price competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post

Raw NCR18650A goes at $6 - $8 (depending on order quantity), so $13 is just a normal, competitive price.How "extra $3" is a good deal? Extra anything is not a good deal, until it has been proven that AW's have superior PCB to Eagletac's / superior build quality / superior something else.
    well the way most users with flashaholic rating go on about how superior Aw's are I was figuring AW in the 18650 word is like duracel vs rayovac or even dollar store brand in the aa/aaa world... honestly though since they all use the same exact cell they are all probably using the same grade reject cells and some companies are just cheaper because they have not quite gotten to the my label is worth more than yours status. would you want a Samsung HDTV or a Sanyo ?

still though having no reviews on orbtronics anywhere that i could find I'd probably want eagletac or one of the others

of course we could all just pm pester a request to HKJ to review the orbtronics

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowww View Post

Raw NCR18650A goes at $6 - $8 (depending on order quantity), so $13 is just a normal, competitive price.How "extra $3" is a good deal? Extra anything is not a good deal, until it has been proven that AW's have superior PCB to Eagletac's / superior build quality / superior something else.

It is good to see that some CPF members use rational, and independent thinking when it comes to this topic.

One small correction: AW gets those NCR 3100mAh cells for 4.99 USD so you guys make your own calculation what is overpriced, and what is real competitive "to get into this 18650 game" pricing.

Arrow Re: Best protected 18650's for the price "with panasonic cells" ?

For $12.99 with free same-day shipping, I'm tempted to be a CPF "guinea pig" and order an Orbtronic 18650 (Panasonic) 3100mAh Protected. From their website, they are located at:

Orbtronic
    7780 49th Street North #150
    Pinellas Park, FL 33781

I did send a chat message to their CS, asking them essentially why their protected 18650s are so inexpensive ... will be interested to get their reply, and will probably at least wait to hear from them before I order anything.
    Last edited by Danielight; 04-30-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast