My take on the TigerLight

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I was a little misled by some of the posts I read about the TL concerning brightness and beam quality. The beam of my TL has a lot of dark spots in it, (not as bad as a *ag light) they do disappear when being used in the real world. The hot spot on the TL is about three times that of my US on it tightest focus however it appears to have almost two hot spots with the brightest part being about the same size of the hot spot on the US. The center hotspot on the TL is about the same brightness as the US while the rest of it is not quit as bright as the US. When put up against the X10 the TL does throw farther but up to 100 yards the x10 just blows it away I would say it puts out about three times the light. The TL is very well built and a very nice light. I love the grip they use it feels very secure in my hand. I also like its size it is a bit fatter than most lights but not to large for me. The switch would not be a problem if this was the only light I used however it is not and I am constantly trying to find it at the front of the light. I actually wish all light would put the switch there I believe it would be more comfortable if I was used to it being there. All and all for the money this is a very nice light and I would recommend it.
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"...switch would not be a problem if this was the only light I used..."
This is a peculiarity that seems to be indigenous to this happy band of flashaholics. We are constantly trying to find the smallest, brightest, longest burn time flashlight. This leads us to acquiring and then using a myriad of products with varying operating systems. Eventually, we admonish having to become familiar with those many unique characteristics wherein we never become fully acclimated to those of ONE product. So be it.

Former police officer, holster craftsman, and CEO of Bianchi International Corp. John Bianchi once said "...one gun, one holster in the same place [on the belt] everytime." With this discipline, the operator need not think about where the gun is located or how to remove it from the holster. Operator then eliminates that thought pattern and concentrates on the required task.

The same concept can also be applied to flashlights. Although I consider myself part of this 'happy band,' always interested about the latest, greatest, and brightest flashlight design, I tend to gravitate to one or two products that I have used for a very long time. I know that operating them has become like breathing; little thought is necessary.

There is not a whole lot to compare regarding the "beam." It is the projected spot that is rife with rings and artifacts as I mentioned in another post. Caveat emptor.

The Tigerlight needs to be a bit less rotund. Caveat Vendidor.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Originally posted by .:

Former police officer, holster craftsman, and CEO of Bianchi International Corp. John Bianchi once said "...one gun, one holster in the same place [on the belt] everytime." With this discipline, the operator need not think about where the gun is located or how to remove it from the holster. Operator then eliminates that thought pattern and concentrates on the required task.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've heard this quote the other way around, as well: "Be wary of a guy that only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it." Much truth there.

I tried the Tigerlight against a Magcharger, a Brinkman LX, and an SL6. In all cases, when the adjustable lights were set to full wide, the wide part of the Tiger is brighter. In all cases, when the adjustable lights were set to tightest spot, the tigerlight hotspot was brighter, and larger. To me, this means that the Tigerlight could replace any of these lights, except for the runtime and divability (is that a word?) of the SL6, and the much smaller size of the LX.

The hotspot of the Tigerlight is brighter than any point of my car's high beams. It is not as bright as a 75W PAR-38 halogen reflector spot. (go figure) Likewise, the wide part of the beam is not as bright as my 12v 55W quartz worklight.

Oh, and as much as I complain to it, my Tigerlight refuses to play Chopin's Piano Concerto In D Minor.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Even though the Tigerlight uses existing technology I see it as a "breakthrough" light because of the highly original way Randy Teig has assembled all the elements to create something that did not exist before. (It's possible his lamp/reflector may be patented, though I'm not sure)

Ironically, KT strongly suggested that SureFire create this type of light, but his advivce went unheeded and Tigerlight is flourishing.

The more I use my Tlight the more I appreciate it. I learned long ago that the only beam that counts is the one that you use in "real life".{My guess is that jtivat has the Gen One lamp module which still throws a heck of a beam.)

I have to get this in: For the life of me I can't understand all the fuss about the TLight charger.
I'm not especially strong and have a hand injury that prevents the strong use of my right hand, but I have no problem whatsoever placing and removing the light. Just tilt tail to wall, push down approx 45 degree angle, then lock in place: no snap crackle or pop, easy as pie, works 100% of the time.

Brightnorm

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by brightnorm:

I have to get this in: For the life of me I can't understand all the fuss about the TLight charger.
I'm not especially strong and have a hand injury that prevents the strong use of my right hand, but I have no problem whatsoever placing and removing the light. Just tilt tail to wall, push down approx 45 degree angle, then lock in place: no snap crackle or pop, easy as pie, works 100% of the time.

Brightnorm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Although I don't believe the charger is as well built as the light itself I have had no problem getting the light in and out of it. How do I tell which lamp I have?

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
speaking of the TL, for the money, and being rechargable, the M6 should be embarassed.
wink.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:
speaking of the TL, for the money, and being rechargable, the M6 should be embarassed.
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't know if I would go that far the TL may be a great light but still not in the league of the M6.
grin.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I got to REALLY use my new TL the other night when I was in a Church parking lot letting my son ride his bike at about 9PM. A car comes whipping up and a guy asks me if I saw 4 teenage boys on bicycles. I hadn't but said I would keep me eyes open. They had just vandalized his house and he had called the police and was out searching. Three minutes later a deputy sheriff pulled up and asked if I had seen them as well. Five minutes after they left the boys come riding right past me and my son. I am not Rambo anymore so I just watch where they go. Two minutes later I see the deputy turn off a street over a 1/3 of a mile away and is heading away from me. (Important to note, there are plenty of street lights so I was able to see his car and roof top lights at that distance and I was in a well lit location. I pulled out my TL and flashed it 6 times in his direction. His brakes lights came on and he made an immediate U-turn. I soon heard the familiar rumble or the 4 barrel Crown Vic. He pulled up, I gave him the direction of the boys and off he went. Like I said before, the important part is he saw my flashes from over 1/3 mile away on a well lit street and I was signaling from a well lit parking lot. To answer the last question...I don't know if he caught them, I went home. This old man needs his sleep.

I am impressed.

FlameOn

Enlightened
You were lucky to flash it 6 times...in my dept, that is code for "1/2 price donuts over here"

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by FlameOn:
You were lucky to flash it 6 times...in my dept, that is code for "1/2 price donuts over here"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">LMAO!
grin.gif
good one.

hey, have you ever seen that bumper sticker "bad cop! no donut!" on an actual car, i've seen one. that guys really stupid or naieve.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by jtivat:
......When put up against the X10 the TL does throw farther but up to 100 yards the x10 just blows it away
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is surprising. Do you mean 100 yards, the length of a football field, or 100 feet? My M6 literally obliterates my Tlight at short-moderate range but starts to lose out after about 100 feet.

Regardless, it's a great light.

JT,

I'd like to check on this when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Brightnorm

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by brightnorm:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by jtivat:
......When put up against the X10 the TL does throw farther but up to 100 yards the x10 just blows it away
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is surprising. Do you mean 100 yards, the length of a football field, or 100 feet? My M6 literally obliterates my Tlight at short-moderate range but starts to lose out after about 100 feet.

JT,

Thanks,
Brightnorm
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The target I am using is in my neighbor's back yard. I am standing on my deck there are bushes on the far side of his back yard are plots are the same size which puts his yard at 160' my deck is about 50' from his yard so we are talking 210 feet roughly.
grin.gif

red_jeep

Newly Enlightened
The Tiger Light has definitely sparked my interest for a home defense/walking the dogs at night kind of light. The C2's we have are great, but too short of a runtime and not enough thunking power.

Just wondering: Is 6 (or any other specific #) of flashes some special attention-getting code for LEOs? (other than SOS) Or did you just go and flash away, and happen to stop at 6?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
.....How do I tell which lamp I have?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My original lamp had a tiny very bright nucleus within the regular hotspot and a fair amount of unevenness within the hotspot and surround. NTL, it was and remains very bright and functional in the real world.

My second lamp, which I assume is Gen II Doesn't have that "nucleus", but the hotspot is better defined and more even throughout. When projected against the sixteenth floor of a building, along a total hypotenuse legth of about 175-200 feet it looks almost as though a searchlight had been turned on, because of the bright, large diameter spot.

Brightnorm

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Originally posted by red_jeep:
Just wondering: Is 6 (or any other specific #) of flashes some special attention-getting code for LEOs? (other than SOS) Or did you just go and flash away, and happen to stop at 6?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The (6) flashes meant nothing to me. I had flashed it six times when his brake lights came on.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hope those little punks get thrown in jail for the rest of their useless miserable lives.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by brightnorm:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by jtivat:

JT,

Thanks,
Brightnorm
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The target I am using is in my neighbor's back yard. I am standing on my deck there are bushes on the far side of his back yard are plots are the same size which puts his yard at 160' my deck is about 50' from his yard so we are talking 210 feet roughly.
grin.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks, JT

BN