simple single AA EDC

bukijin

Newly Enlightened
Hi there everyone. I'm in the market for a single AA powered LED light for EDC. So far, I have surefire, fenix tactical style CR123 lights - but I want something smaller for everyday pocket carry and I like the idea of an AA battery. The lights I'm looking at ATM are Fenix LD12, LD15, E11, LED Lenser P5 and jetbeam BA10. Basically need a light that's as small and unobtrusive as possible. Really run time and output aren't that important (!) as it's simply a light to have with me at all times for general purpose use. I'd really prefer a light with a simple on/off switch, no adjustments and to be waterproof and shockproof. Thanks for your suggestions !

Raze

Enlightened
FourSevens Quark Mini AA gets my pick. You might also want to consider the Maratac AA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please pardon typos.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Add a Quark AA Tactical to your list, you program 2 modes (out of eight) to be instantly accessible. The R5 emitter will cover from 115 lumens or 300 hrs of runtime on a Alk or NiMh. If more power is your goal, then get a Quark AA^2 XML emitter, donwnsize it with an optional 1xAA tube, and run a 14500 Li-ion batt for about 300 lumens on max or 200 hrs on moonlight.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
at bukijin what's wrong with a Quark? i am sure you have already looked at it, obviously sent from my iphone using Tapatallk

tam17

Enlightened
If your main concerns are simplicity and size, Fenix LD15 is the way to go. It is hard to get any smaller light, though it's a twisty which turns on on High (117lm), has no clip and it can get warm due to its small size (still it's nothing to get worried about). In Low mode you have 30 hours of runtime IIRC.

Jetbeam PA01 is a bit more complex but very elegant and versatile, check out the specs, you may like it. Cheers!

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I am a Quark and Fenix fan. I prefer the Quark 'regular' interface for a general purpose light, but if you want simpler, the tactical version would probably be better. I like the tactical for fix-it type jobs where I'll be turning the light on and off frequently. With that in mind, I also like the Fenix LD12. Multiple modes, but you can leave it on a particular level and turn it on and off all you want, but still have easier access to all the levels than with the Quark tactical. If you want to keep it small, then a twisty might be a better way to go, but I find them annoying. Inevitably, I will have a tool or something in my hand and a twisty can be awkward to operate with one hand.

davecroft

Enlightened
I have quite a few in this format. Here's my views, hope you find them useful!

Nitecore EZAA R5 - very compact, solid, bright. Cons - fiddly to change brightness.

Fenix LD15 - very compact, well built, bright. Cons - only 2 levels (not a real problem for me).

Jetbeam PA01 - smallest AA clicky? bright, has strobe. Nice looking. Cons - fiddly UI takes some getting used to.

Jetbeam BA10 - very solid, bright, good clip. Cons - only 2 levels, large for single AA.

Olight i2 - cheap, great clip. Cons - feels less well made, not as bright as some.

Fenix E11 - cheap, bright, very solid. Cons - can't tail stand, only 2 levels, slightly large.

I think the E11 is hard to beat. But if smallest is important then I would go for the LD15.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are considering the JetBeam BA10, take a look at the JetBeam PC10: it's an XM-L T6 though so it's going to be floodier - and 4mm longer - than the Fenix LD12.

Smokescreen

Newly Enlightened
iTP A2, Olight i2, or Maratac AA whichever is easiest to find at the moment. Nice, simple design and worth a look. I have the iTP and the Olight versions. IMHO you can't beat them for the price.

bukijin

Newly Enlightened
Got the FourSevens Quark Mini AA which is now attached to my keyring. Very happy with it. Also bought a Fenix E01 (AAA) which only lasted 2 minutes before my wife confiscated it for her keyring. Thanks for the helpful advice everyone.

arnstein

Newly Enlightened
My favorite in this category is EagleTac D25A. Excellent construction, up-to-date emitter, and your choice of clicky or not. Only negatives I can think of are
- Cannot use LiOn.
- EagleTac website is annoying.