Looking for something like a novatc 120, but more moddern emmitter?

sphynx_000

Newly Enlightened
I really like the look of the novatac lights, but their brightness/runtime seams to really be lacking compared to what is available today.

Anyone know of a similar style light with better performance (xml, xp-g, etc)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS Systems

Novatac seem to be dead in the water these days - since they moved their manufacturing offshore, and lost Henry (who went back and restarted HDS/RA lights)

If you want some interesting reading - there is plenty of history out there, the light started as the Arc4+, then the HDS (EDC ultimate and basic models), then Novatac, then back to HDS again.

I haven't owned a HDS light, but the reviews here have been very favorable, my Novatac EDC120P (built in USA when Henry was still with the company) has been a solid reliable light, carried every day for over 5 years (it was replaced about 6 months ago - but still functions, and lives on my nightstand)

My wife's on the other hand started flickering and refusing to switch on after about 6 months, cleaning the contacts was fruitless, as was contacting Novatac's warranty department.

I wouldn't buy a current Novatac, but would quite happily spend the money on a HDS light.

NetMage

Enlightened
I just faced the same issue and while I am going to get my 120P upgraded to XPG, I bought a V11R as a replacement.

It lacks some of the quality of the EDC, and mine didn't come up with the replacement rubber button (working on that) but 500 lumens from an RCR123 is pretty impressive.

LGT

Enlightened
HDS 120 executive.$99 for a light built like a tank. Not sure about the emitter. But IMO, you can't go wrong with these lights. Novatacs aren't even close to being in the same league as HDS lights. What other lights do you already have, I ask this because you shouldn't be put off by the "only 120 lumens" That amount of light is very useful for everyday tasks. Just went outside with my 140 twisty and 200 rotary atl level 22 which is 100 lumens, I think. and the amount of light is quite a bit for such "low" numbers.

Last edited: