8000 Lumen Video Light

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using 8XML with Taskled Driver and 18 18650 (6S 3P) and the new TLS 3.5" OD (3.0" ID) canister. Canister pic shows 2.5"OD can vs the new 3.5"OD. LEDs will run 2 strings of 4 in series. Vf is about 12 volts at 6 amps! Will use a 6S LiIon pack by 3 parallel and PCB with balancing function.
8XML.jpg
[/IMG]

35vs25-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
8000 lumen? is that all? Pfffffft LOL

Any issue with PWM and frame rate with the driver? As in flickering frames?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I have only hooked them up directly to the lab power supply. I will have to hook up the driver and see. George did make a run of high voltage drivers (30+ volts) which I was planning on using with 8 XML in series, but due to the cost of PCBs ($75+) with balancing function for 8S battery config, I decided to stick with a 6S pack. Only about $20 for that PCB. I will let you guys know. Those LEDs do get plenty HOT out of water and FAST.

Codiak

Enlightened
Looks like nice clean work so far!

Whats the cost on your 3in can?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
pack.jpg
[/IMG]

18 x 18650 battery pack 6S3P to power up the 8000 lumen light

Last edited:

Klem

Enlightened
Is this the battery you wil be using? Rectangular shape in your circular canisters. Is there much excess space/unwanted buoyancy?

I'm wondering if 3 rows of 6 in a circle would be more economical for bulk/buoyancy than a rectangle.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, 3 rows of 6 makes for a longer canister! I was trying to make it shorter. Buoyancy was not a big concern on my end. There is some space that one can use to put some weight in the canister.

Klem

Enlightened
'Like fitting a square peg in a round hole!'

Just did some 'what if's' on a couple of configurations; using the height of each battery as 65mm, plus a 5mm gap for insulating and soldering between layers, plus 5mm on each end.
batteryconfigurations.jpg

Option 1 (rectangular 2 layers)...558,250 cubic mm
Option 2 (circular 2 layers)...511,425
Option 3 (circular 3 layers)...474,520

Note; This does not include whatever volume your plug and protection circuit will need.

Of course this is all moot unless you can dictate the ID/OD of the canister. Also moot if your canister is negatively buoyant regardless of battery configuration.

...I just hate having to add useless weight to a torch to keep it down.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Klem:
I agree with you... The main issue was that, as you noted, I did not have a say in canister diameter. I have those made out of clear PVC and got stuck with 3.5" ID. So ues, ended up with some unused volume. I do like option 2 and thought about it but looked to be a bit harder to construct so I decided to make it easier to my battery guy.

I will also have to see if the can is negative with all those cells. My belief is that it may be a bit on the + side.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
6000mah at 22.2 volt. I was hoping for about 7000-7500 but this will work

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so I finally got the head assembled, finishing up tomorrow. MY impression is that there is definitely not enough throw on it. It is a bright son of a gun but all flood and really wide. I think with 2 heads holding the DX 3XML module with reflector it will work very well, but by itself just doesn't seem to me (above water) to be enough... So for now I will say a combination of reflectored and reflectorless may be the trick.

gasdiver

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I finally got the head assembled, finishing up tomorrow. MY impression is that there is definitely not enough throw on it. It is a bright son of a gun but all flood and really wide. I think with 2 heads holding the DX 3XML module with reflector it will work very well, but by itself just doesn't seem to me (above water) to be enough... So for now I will say a combination of reflectored and reflectorless may be the trick.

Won't the reflector create a hot spot?

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DX 3XML reflector creates a really large floody spot. I think that willk provide the throw. The ones without reflectors will provide the flood.