LED Lenser P17 on duty belt

jacob22

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I've done a search but can't find any suggestions and ideas from anyone regarding carrying larger flashlights on duty belts.
Its a requirement of my job to carry a LED Lenser P17 on my duty belt, but I can't find a way of carrying it without it annoying me:
45411_1_LEDLENSER-INTELLIGENT-CLIP-VOOR-P-7.jpg

Firstly, if I use the standard LED Lenser 'intelligent' clip, after a week or two the clip wears out and lets the P17 swing around freely (i'm on my 3rd clip so far).
The P17 then hits everything else on my belt as it swings around, making a lot of noise which ends up sounding like I'm walking around with hospital crutches :shakehead

images

The same problem happens if I use a loop similar to the standard offering for Maglites, plus I'm now used to having the flashlight up higher on my belt as held by the intelligent clip.

bianchistinger22838.jpg

I recently bought a loop like the one pictured above, but the location and sensitivity of the power button on the LED Lenser P17 means that when I walk I get blinded in the face every time the button gets lightly tapped (i.e. all the time). However, it does hold the P17 really well and stops it bouncing around and it makes virtually no noise at all.

I know it seems like such a trivial thing, but it's really irritating me and I work alot :ironic:..
Any suggestions on belt clips or alternative torches of similar size (and brightness i.e. not maglites) would be really appreciated!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to look at the belt holsters made by ripoffs. Lots of options.

davyro

Enlightened
If you can ditch the led lenser & get a smaller more powerful light theres plenty to choose from if not try to get a pocket clip & hook it onto one of the belt loops on your trousers

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
except for the possibility to use the light as a baton, I dont see any reason to use anything else than a small 18650 flashlight, especially for ppl that use a light on duty
(weight/size of prime importance)

but to Your problem:
I understand that the actual holder is liked best.
As a quick-n-dyrty fix, I would build and glue in some kind of "ring" that fits over the switch, extending a bit out from the body. Enough to prevent the light going on when there is just a slight touch - from the holder material - but not making it difficult to use the button when wanting to push it.

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix TK series is worth taking a look at. Far brighter, solid clip, and comes with a dedicated holster.

Or, Nite Eyez makes a universal holster with an adjustable clip for horizontal/vertical/angle carry that holds up well.

Personally, I'd look at 1 or 2 cell 123a battery lights from Fenix, Foursevens, and Jetbeam. Great reviews to be found here.

Via iPhone & Tapatalk

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are mandated to that light, you could take it to a polce supply shop and check to see if an expandable baton holder would work. I used to carry an Inova in one. Safariland has several different sizes. I'm not familiar with this particular light but maybe a chemical spray holder would work.

Phil40000

Newly Enlightened
I have the P17, buy the Nite Ize Grip'n'Clip for lots of different carry options. The foam gives much more purchase and is stealthy as it stops other metallic objects coming into contact with the lights long body. Plus it still allows you to boink someone over the head with it (local laws apply naturally) if the mood takes you. Yes, I have been fairly impressed with the Grip'n'Clip and it will fit other lights as well of a similar size.

Kind regards,

Philip
Owner of Nite Ize

jacob22

Newly Enlightened
Hey thanks for everyones responses.

I have to carry a D-cell flashlight for 'safety'. I work as a security guard specifically doing noise control (something I believe police do in USA?). Instead here it gets contracted by the city to private security companies and each guard gets given powers to enforce noise control laws i.e. issuing notices, seizing equipment etc. Other than noise control laws, security guards here have no rights above any other citizen - i.e. we can't carry batons, tasers, firearms, and we have no powers of detainment or arrest (other than a citizens arrest, but the law says we can only do that between 9pm and 5am for some reason). The only thing we're allowed is a flashlight no bigger than 3 D cell. Also, to make a nice tidy profit for it's shareholders, the security company sends us in by ourselves at night to peoples private homes to enforce noise complaints (rather than 2-up or anything)... therefore if things go badly i.e. someone pulls a knife or whatever, we need something to defend ourselves. Most of the time it's all good, but there are some pretty nasty stories and I've had a few incidents myself.

Anyway, for a temporary measure I've glued 2 o-rings around the button, and its working for now.
I will probably try out the Nite Ize Grip 'N Clip once I can find someone who ships here..
I carry a LED Lenser M7R aswell, as its a small light that has an easy magnetic clip-on recharger and as I use it alot, it's very easy to deal with.
In fact, I don't tend to use the P17 at all unless doing noise control jobs as above.

Cheers again.