Now i am worried!

youngbushcrafter

Newly Enlightened
I read in a recent thread about the HDS lights that: 'Potted electronics which usually means that it would be one of the rare lights that would work in case of an EMP pulse hit' that was the exact quote, and my question is that, is this true, would my fenix range or most others not work? Because i dont want to be stuck with none of my torches working if that does happen!
Thanks

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sitesearch: EMP

Short version: nobody has done extensive testing of modern-flashlight-type electronics in a nuclear-type EMP, but your lights are the least of your worries in an EMP. The physics of it indicate tightly wrapping your flashlights in the emergency kit in tinfoil, or not worrying much.

Flashlight Enthusiast
better to worry about hitting powerball 3 times in a row (more likely) than worry about an emp pulse

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
Several years ago with the introducton of NIMS (National Incident Management Syetem), I took classes from the Feds (FEMA) and State Emergency Management, This subject was brought up, I don't remember if it was part of the course or just a question asked.
I was advised by people who shoud know: "Don't sell off your old electronic equipment or scrap it. Store some of it in sealed ammo cans, and put some of it back, The event of an EMP strike is not great, however the Sun is capible of doing just as much dammage at any time." At least at the time (5 years ago) I was told " Ammo cans will sheild electronic devices quite well as long as a cardboard or similar barrier is placed inside to keep the objects from contacting the top, sides or bottom of the can" I was also advised that a Gun Save with a carpeted interior should serve the same prupose. Hope this helps.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several years ago with the introducton of NIMS (National Incident Management Syetem), I took classes from the Feds (FEMA) and State Emergency Management, This subject was brought up, I don't remember if it was part of the course or just a question asked.
I was advised by people who shoud know: "Don't sell off your old electronic equipment or scrap it. Store some of it in sealed ammo cans, and put some of it back, The event of an EMP strike is not great, however the Sun is capible of doing just as much dammage at any time." At least at the time (5 years ago) I was told " Ammo cans will sheild electronic devices quite well as long as a cardboard or similar barrier is placed inside to keep the objects from contacting the top, sides or bottom of the can" I was also advised that a Gun Save with a carpeted interior should serve the same prupose. Hope this helps.

electricity remains on the outside surface, no need for cardboard or any other insulator inside

same with an emp. outside, not inside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
better to worry about hitting powerball 3 times in a row (more likely) than worry about an emp pulse

How do you figure this? Are you an expert on the intentions of national leaders? Have you not heard the threats made by some national leaders?

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Wrapping in aluminum foil should do the trick.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrapping in aluminum foil should do the trick.

I assume if you didn't wrap your light in foil then EMP probably would kill it, since the LED is probably outside any shielding provided by the metal flashlight body?

youngbushcrafter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the feedback, useful to know the tinfoil trick and ammo case, i thought the sun would only wipe out the mains?

Itchrelief

Newly Enlightened
Is this a special kind of potting? It seems from a web search that run-of-the-mill potting protects from physical shock and maybe moisture.

In any case, I think if you're really concerned about an EMP going off near you, you're probably going to be worrying about a lot more than your flashlights.

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
I assume if you didn't wrap your light in foil then EMP probably would kill it, since the LED is probably outside any shielding provided by the metal flashlight body?

Yeah, a metal flashlight body can actually acts like an antenna for the EMP if it is used in the flashlight's circuit. You need to wrap the foil over a layer of insulation so it doesn't touch the flashlight.
does anything else other than a nuclear bomb release an EMP?
Yes, the sun's coronal mass ejections, and solar flares can.

BobBarker

Newly Enlightened
To answer the OPs question, no. Potting will absolutely no protect a circuit from an EMP. If the entire flashlight was covered with electrically conductive potting (does defeat the purpose of potting though) It still wouldn't work. The Faraday cage relies on an isolated conductive "shell" to work properly. As someone above said, if you allow something conductive to make contact with the cage... It would actually act as more of an antenna then a protective cage.

electricity remains on the outside surface, no need for cardboard or any other insulator inside

same with an emp. outside, not inside.

That isn't always true. If you properly ground it, than yes. If it is an ungrounded container (like an ammo can) then you do in fact need to make sure that it is not in direct contact with unpainted metal. You also need to make sure that the lid and the box are electrically tied (bonded)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Sgt. LED, it is raccoons but it's very difficult to get them irate enough to emit EMP.