SunwayLED

Thread: What is your Surefire 6P setup?

Default What is your Surefire 6P setup?

I have a SF 6P running 2 - CR123s and the OEM P60 bulb. (I know boring right?)

I want to see what you experienced addicts are running/suggesting?

Enlightened

Default Re: What is your Surefire 6P setup?

I'm currently running a 6p with a Malkoff m61. Simple, bright, and reliable.

Unenlightened

I have two 6P's.I have a M61w in one and a M61wll in the other.Both run on primary SF123.

Quote Originally Posted by FORCETEN View Post
    I'm currently running a 6p with a Malkoff m61. Simple, bright, and reliable.
    Cool thanks for the info! ...what batteries do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by cmanley View Post
    I have two 6P's.I have a M61w in one and a M61wll in the other.Both run on primary SF123.
    Anyone running more affordable drop-ins? lol

My 6P is bored running with a 18650 battery and a Malkoff M61 drop in.

Mine has a M61W and a tactical hid ss crenelated bezel, and runs on a AW17670 cell.

My 6P has a body made by forum member Fivemega that can hold an 18650 lithium ion battery, and it is powering an EO-4 incandescent lamp from Lumensfactory. It's about 150 lumens out the front for over an hour.

If you're willing to spend the money for a charger and the lithium ion batteries, then it's a cost-effective way to enjoy incan light without feeling guilty about burning through regular batteries. If you want to keep using Surefire batteries, then your best bet is an LED dropin, like the others have suggested. Since you find the Malkoff a bit pricey, you might find the LED dropins (found in the D26 section) at Lumensfactory a bit more your taste. The three-mode warm-white high CRI version is $28, and the single mode is $24. A great deal for a unit that will produce a good spectrum and good output. There are many others, some of which may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for in this hobby!

Flashaholic*

My 6P is an old-school round one, so I couldn't replace the bezel if I wanted to.
    I have a "soft-press" McClicky switch in it. Tried the hard-press based on reviews, but found it inconvenient for mode-switching duties.
    I don't much care for twisty action, so I haven't tried a Zero-Res - but I am interested in the robustness and current-handling.
    I run 2xCR123.
    Currently, I have a 3-mode NailBender neutral XM-L in there.
    When I get the M61 neutral hi-CRI Nichia 219 drop-in for my C2, I'll put my M61W back into the 6P - where it came from, and where it belongs.
    I don't think I'll go back to the hard-press boot, however.
    I have 3 Surefires, and in a week I'll have 3 M61's (W, 219, and L HCRI.) I'm going to pair them up as my "Always dependable, indestructible, never fail me" lights.
    (The Low-output HCRI is in a G2z.)
    The neutral XM-L will give new life to a SolarForce L2P. I do like it a lot, and NB does great work, at competitive prices.
    For some of my other P60 hosts, I have (or am getting) a NB XR-E optic, EDC+ neutral XM-L, and vinhnguyen54 Nichia 219 drop-ins. These can be considered nearly as good Gene's - not as robust, but more mode and emitter options, and quite a bit less expensive.
    I also have several of the SolarForce XR-E and XP-G drop-ins. They are quite good for the price, and I haven't had any functional problems with them, but they either have too many or too few modes and I lost the tint lottery on all but one.
    I was going to try the LumensFactory Hi-CRI D26 module, but selected the EDC+ instead because I've bought some lights from Jason and wanted to give his drop-in a chance. I should get it next week, the same time as my new Malkoff - so I can't say for sure how good it is as yet.
    Last edited by tjswarbrick; 05-01-2012 at 07:55 PM.

I have two 6P's. One is sitting on my rifle with a Malkoff M61HCRI and the other is in a bored 18650 6P with a brand new M61 219. All are running the surefire twisty switch for reliability purposes. I use clicky hosts for mulit-mode dropins and twistys for single mode dropins.
    Elzetta M60 | Fenix E01 E05 | Surefire 6P C2 E2E E2L-AA | Malkoff: M61-219 M61HCRI M61 Malkoff 3D Maglite
    Certified Malkoff Junkie....

Flashaholic

Mine is a bored out 6P Defender w/ a Malkoff M61W running an AW 2900mah 18650.
    Surefire E2E,L4,C2,M2,Z2,Z3,G2,G2Z,G3,9P,6P,6PD,6PX/Malkoff MDC,M91,M61,M61W,M61NL,2C,3-6D/Sportac 3xXPG2,3xNichia,XML2/EDC+ X60L U2,T6/Fenix TK35,LD22,E21,E11,E05,MC11/4Sevens AA2,MiNiX/Solarforce MP Pro-2,L2P,L2T/Nitecore E3 R2/Inova X03,X1/Mag 4D,3D,3C,2D,2C

dont have a 6P, but i do have a C2, G2, G2Z, and a 9P coming, all with various malkoffs
    couple with McClickies, nothing fancy, kind of boring actually, but reliable and everybody in the family can easily operate.
    Last edited by skyfire; 05-01-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Flashaholic

I have 4 6Ps all with Malkoff M61NL running 123s, two in cars, one in the truck and one spare. I wanted something with maximum reliability, the 6P/Malkoff is my choice.
    Looking for something, use a handheld. Actually doing something, you need a headlamp.

Bored for 18650 and Orange cerakoted 6P with Black Flat Xeno stainless steel bezel ring (genuine Borofloat lens) and OR McClicky kit in the tail... running Malkoff M61W (5000K)...

Sounds like I gotta spend the coin and get the Malkof M61, huh?

I want to power my light with 1 X AW17670 rechargeable. Would the M61 still be my best choice of bulb with this?

Enlightened

I have a 6p running a warm single mode solarforce dropin and a g2 running the stock p60l. I also have a generic no name led dropin that came with the g2 when I bought it on ebay but I dont trust that one 100% although it is quite bright, would love to try a malkoff but I just can justify the cost.

Enlightened

Stock Surefire 6p bored out to accept 18650 with an M60.

Stock Laser Products - round bodied 6P running a Malkoff M61 on a single AW17670.

KISS UI (on and....er...off) and utter utter reliability makes it difficult to warrant changing this setup one jott.

Me like.

Flashaholic*

6P with a Malkoff M61W on 2XCR123s,using an aftermaket bezel with a stainless slightly crenelated ring.I also like the stock switch/single mode in keeping with the KISS principle

6P powered by a beautiful Malkoff M61 [Nichia 219] with orange soft-press McClicky, UCL lens, and smooth brass finish SS bezel ring.
    Running on 2xCR123.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman2 View Post
    Sounds like I gotta spend the coin and get the Malkof M61, huh?

I want to power my light with 1 X AW17670 rechargeable. Would the M61 still be my best choice of bulb with this?
    I would... Malkoff is probably the best thing that ever happened to the 6p/9p. Either the M61 or the M60... You can't go wrong with either, but some prefer one over the other. I myself like the older M60 for a small advantage in the throw department, but some people prefer the newer M61 for the tint and all the other options you can get.

I think I'm keeping my 6P normally aspirated for now and gonna work with the Solarforce L2T. Can't thank you guys enough for the help!

P90 with 2 X 16340 IMR cells (favorite). One with Malkoff, one with vintage Surefire LED (most used because it's always out).

Enlightened

Poor old vet who never gets more tha $65.00 cash and it goes
    away. I was a sailor so now you know why. I will give the ladies whatever they ask for.
    Never had seen one, when was a cop the other guys used what was furnished we had a rechargeable streamlight 20 and it worked fine. Was always in the car so it was in the charger or being used.

Now I have a 3 mode Shadow JM-07 Pro Stone White with a 26650 cell/battery that I carry as my EDC a little large. But no longer have to carry a gun so it is lighter and smaller than a gun.
    Thursday night returning home in the dark the afore mention light light our way home my grand son carried the light and I pushed my walker thru the park over the grass.
    "The Flogging Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!"