Should I Replace Streamlight Stinger Nickel Cadmium Battery W/ Nickel Metal Hydride?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As posted above, when I am ready to replace my NiCad Streamlight Stinger battery, should I stick with NiCad or switch to NiMH? If I do switch, what will be different?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're able to find an OEM NiMH battery pack (P/N 75375), that would be the best choice. Those have quality low self-discharge cells and are rated for up to 1000 cycles.

With aftermarket batteries, there's no guarantee about anything (quality, self-discharge, etc.)...

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I Replace Streamlight Stinger Nickel Cadmium Battery W/ Nickel Metal Hydri

Thank you for the reply. It looks like they are the same price, too, at least at the first dealer I checked. I assume I can use the regular charger, too, without any ill effects?

http://www.swps.com/75375.html

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll work fine with both fast and steady chargers. Some of the aftermarket NiMH batteries have higher capacity claims, and those could have problems, but the OEM NiMH is pretty close to NiCd capacity (1800mAh vs. 2200mAh).

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Argh. I just bought a NiCd from interstate batteries and that NiMh from SWPS looks to be better (although shipping is a killer).

Don't fret too much Hunka, one thing that NiCd packs are better for, is if you often discharge the light until it dims, or quits working. In this regard NiCd cells hold up a lot better. NiMH cells, including LSD varieties, don't hold up as well to the potential "reverse charging" that can occur, when battery packs are run down towards empty. In most other ways though, especially with LSD cells, NiMH packs are superior, nowadays. That said, I still prefer NiCd to NiMh, for tool packs. They seem to last a lot longer, calendar wise, not "per charge" though.

Dave