Tritium Vials - How fragile?

sionnach

Newly Enlightened
I have seen a few mods people have done to put Trits in the cooling fins of a light.
I cannot tell if these have a plastic sleeve or are just straight glass.

I am wanting to put some trits in a similarly designed setup.
Metal fins are ~1.5mm or so with the slots being the same.
3 fins, two slots.

My question is if this is something (say keychain or a ring) do I need to fill the channels with Norland or are the trits strong enough in this instance that unless something really got in the slot and put pressure on the vial then I would be fine?

Looking for advice from anyone who has had trits in hard use situations and not just Shelf Queens.

Thanks!

Flashlight Enthusiast
need to show a diagram

cannot consider this until you show the implementation on a drawing or pic

trit vials are borosilicate glass...very very strong but brittle

Flashlight Enthusiast
well I edc something similar and my keys, dropping in dirt, whatever... I have no concerns anything is
going to find it's way inside the fins and pop a trit vial. I have zero concerns how I handle it and nothing intrudes
into the space where the trit sits.

I imagine of one was to break, it would take crushing by a rock, or someone poking a thin screwdriver in to
intentionally bust the vial. Now if the space around the fins or trits was one iota larger then I can see it breaking...

but I'd say

build a prototype
stick fake trit vials in there or something same size and shape. a piece of large gauge single strand copper wire would be good
beat the hell out of it, toss it around, throw it in dirt...etc
then examine if there are any scratches or marks on your test trit pieces

that should give you an idea if anything could interfere with the trit vial to the point of breaking it

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
How are you going to stop the trits from falling out? From the drawing it appears there will be very little room to stick norland?

sionnach

Newly Enlightened
I was planning on drilling the 1.5mm holes a tiny bit larger so that there is room for the Norland. Additionally my plan was also to go about 0.25mm longer on each end so that the ends can be capped with Norland as well.

My larger concer is whether or not to fill the slots with norland (all the way around).

How are you going to stop the trits from falling out? From the drawing it appears there will be very little room to stick norland?